Emoticons/reactions

6 hours ago, VersGuyAnon said:

Just so I know I'm using the right one, can someone please explain what the "upvote" specifically relates to? I'm unsure what the difference is between "Like" and "Upvote". Thanks! 

In a practical sense i don't think there is a difference. As I understand it, both add on reputation point to the reputation score of the person who made the post that you are liking or updating.

In other words, I think it's a matter of personal preference as to which better describes how you feel about the post. 

2 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

In a practical sense i don't think there is a difference. As I understand it, both add on reputation point to the reputation score of the person who made the post that you are liking or updating.

In other words, I think it's a matter of personal preference as to which better describes how you feel about the post. 

Thanks BootmanLA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The reaction function to this site  DOESN'T work!

I have made many many posts, have been on line almost everyday and replied to many many posts I even earned a high level badge but still only maybe only 10 reactions allowed a day! ..🤬🤬🤬

It's sooooo annoying..🤬🤬🔥🔥🤬🤬

• Sad 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Njn0mc said:

I have made many many posts, have been on line almost everyday and replied to many many posts I even earned a high level badge but still only maybe only 10 reactions allowed a day! ..

So it DOES work, and there's a limit on the number of times per day you can use it. Which is exactly the way it is programmed to work. The number of reactions you can apply per day depends on your membership level. You are a full Member (as opposed to New Member or Junior Member), and I believe 10 exactly is the number you get per day. As you continue to post content, your Reputation score (which you can see if you visit your own profile) will increase and you will advance to Senior Member, and then you will get a larger number of reactions per day.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, viking8x6 said:

So it DOES work, and there's a limit on the number of times per day you can use it. Which is exactly the way it is programmed to work. The number of reactions you can apply per day depends on your membership level. You are a full Member (as opposed to New Member or Junior Member), and I believe 10 exactly is the number you get per day. As you continue to post content, your Reputation score (which you can see if you visit your own profile) will increase and you will advance to Senior Member, and then you will get a larger number of reactions per day.

Thanks.. lol .. I couldn't leave a thanks reaction.  I hit my limit

• Moderators

Moderator:

The number of reactions per day is intentionally limited. That is the way @rawTOP decided to configure the system. One reason for this is to encourage people to contribute their own ideas about a topic raised by someone else, rather than just using a "thumbs-up" (the visual equivalent of saying "that's hawt"). Sure, a lot of things on here are hot... but we know that already!

Limit your use of reactions to things that really impress (or disgust) you, and it's not really all that much of a hardship. When I was a full Member (with 10 reactions a day) I used to hit the limit maybe once every couple of weeks.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

On 7/9/2022 at 4:11 AM, VersGuyAnon said:

Just so I know I'm using the right one, can someone please explain what the "upvote" specifically relates to? I'm unsure what the difference is between "Like" and "Upvote". Thanks! 

As far as I have been able to discern, the difference, in terms of what the symbols convey to the recipient, is either a sense of simply “agree” for upvote versus like expressing more enthusiasm. Or it could be as basic as like/really like. Or, since ‘like’ contains a heart, it could be construed to be best reserved for posts you think deserve extra love.

I tend not to use them at all. If I’m going to react, I use words.

49 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

Sad to see some users feel the compulsion to "vote down" posts from a moderator who's simply explaining the rules. How insecure must a person be to do that?

Exactly...

Tbh, I am sick and tired of some posters wanting rules changed to suit their whines.

We all had to work through this to get where we are; by contributing to the site and being active.

Why cannot people just follow the system and respect the rules? 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ErosWired said:

a sense of simply “agree” for upvote

This is how I use the upvote doo-dad.  I very seldom use the downvote, and enjoy any opportunity to have a laugh with some guy.  Occasionally, Mr. Piggie is appropriate too.   I run out of chances to use them quite a bit though.  Not as much as when I first signed up, but - enough to be a bit irritated.  But, I like BZ quite a bit, and it belongs to someone else, right?  Limited responses is a really small price to pay for the opportunity to participate.  

11 hours ago, hntnhole said:

This is how I use the upvote doo-dad.  I very seldom use the downvote, and enjoy any opportunity to have a laugh with some guy.  Occasionally, Mr. Piggie is appropriate too.   I run out of chances to use them quite a bit though.  Not as much as when I first signed up, but - enough to be a bit irritated.  But, I like BZ quite a bit, and it belongs to someone else, right?  Limited responses is a really small price to pay for the opportunity to participate.  

I have no idea what the rules are here but you're one week away from being a member for a year. You're already at the highest rank level so maybe you'll be 'upgraded' to senior member a week from now and then you will have more votes. I never counted how many I have but it's more than 10. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 11:25 PM, BootmanLA said:

Sad to see some users feel the compulsion to "vote down" posts from a moderator who's simply explaining the rules. How insecure must a person be to do that?

Indeed, even more so when they don’t even engage in a conversation or discussion but just hit the button and run - but trying to listen and hear someone else is for many too much to ask apparently.

Seems a bit childish more than sad.

On 9/2/2022 at 12:09 AM, DarkroomTaker said:

Exactly...

Tbh, I am sick and tired of some posters wanting rules changed to suit their whines.

We all had to work through this to get where we are; by contributing to the site and being active.

Why cannot people just follow the system and respect the rules? 

I applaud anyone trying to improve a system and rules. But the system here to me seems good, although maybe not perfect I enjoy the people I’m chatting with here more so than on any other website or social medium.

On 9/2/2022 at 5:38 AM, ErosWired said:

As far as I have been able to discern, the difference, in terms of what the symbols convey to the recipient, is either a sense of simply “agree” for upvote versus like expressing more enthusiasm.

That's my basic approach. I treat the upvote as being more intellectual ('I agree with the content') and the the heart as more emotional ('I like that!').

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.