Emoticons/reactions

21 minutes ago, barebackbro said:

That's my basic approach. I treat the upvote as being more intellectual ('I agree with the content') and the the heart as more emotional ('I like that!').

Likewise. It's hard to put into words, exactly, but "upvote" to me is both "I agree with the content" and "This is worth your reading because I think it's significant." I rarely use the "heart/like" option, but when I do, it's more (as you say) "I like that".

Likewise, when someone points out something useful, I tend to go with the "Thanks" option. I also use it when someone has, in essence, validated something I've said, or when it saves me making a post saying exactly what they've already said. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 9/1/2022 at 2:20 PM, viking8x6 said:

Moderator:

The number of reactions per day is intentionally limited. That is the way @rawTOP decided to configure the system. One reason for this is to encourage people to contribute their own ideas about a topic raised by someone else, rather than just using a "thumbs-up" (the visual equivalent of saying "that's hawt"). Sure, a lot of things on here are hot... but we know that already!

Limit your use of reactions to things that really impress (or disgust) you, and it's not really all that much of a hardship. When I was a full Member (with 10 reactions a day) I used to hit the limit maybe once every couple of weeks.

The primary reason reactions are limited and grow as your membership level goes up is so newbies don't distort what's good/bad. If it were unlimited reactions for everyone then a person's status wouldn't mean much because a one or two people could just upvote everything they've ever posted and give the poster a high status.

Ultimately this is a community and how important you are to the community depends on how much you've contributed to the community. So people who've contributed a lot get to be the primary arbiters of what's good and bad on the site.

• Thanks 3

On 7/9/2022 at 5:11 AM, VersGuyAnon said:

Just so I know I'm using the right one, can someone please explain what the "upvote" specifically relates to? I'm unsure what the difference is between "Like" and "Upvote". Thanks! 

I compare the like and the upvote  to chocolate. The like icon is like a Milky Way bar- nice, good and agreeably satisfying. But the upvote is like a piece of gourmet chocolate- richer, more substance, the reward is X times more than a vending machine piece of candy. I tend to use the upvote  for topics that I am following/contributing to and the like for a topic I have read, agree with a post, but may not return to that thread again for days; if ever. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2022 at 9:41 AM, rawTOP said:

The primary reason reactions are limited and grow as your membership level goes up is so newbies don't distort what's good/bad. If it were unlimited reactions for everyone then a person's status wouldn't mean much because a one or two people could just upvote everything they've ever posted and give the poster a high status.

Ultimately this is a community and how important you are to the community depends on how much you've contributed to the community. So people who've contributed a lot get to be the primary arbiters of what's good and bad on the site.

And when one runs out of "reactions" then just post a reply post.  That is sort of the point anyway.  

I may be wrong, but I think that we earn more responses if we reply to other posts more, or create our own.  From a business perspective, that would encourage users to actually use the site - participate - not merely agree/disagree/etc (and, of course, click on some of the advertiser's ads).  Clicks-through do count towards keeping the site healthy (and free to users).

• 6 months later...

The vast majority of 'reactions' I have given to posts (thus far) relate to stories (whether real of not). For what its worth) I apply the 'upvote' to stories/posts that I've enjoyed/like and give the 'piggy' or 'trophy' to those that 'really hit the spot' 🙂 Also, I use 'reactions given' (on my profile) as a way to quickly locate particular stories/posts which I want to read again and again!

I appreciate why the number of reactions (available to any one member), is related to membership level. However, in relation to a long story (consisting of several chapters), it can be frustrating as 'reacting' to more than one chapter can use up an entire allocation.

I do have one query though. Across one of my badges is the label 'Rare'. It might seem to be asking the obvious for an explanation, but I've no idea how I earned it?

5 hours ago, Knightfalconer said:

The vast majority of 'reactions' I have given to posts (thus far) relate to stories (whether real of not). For what its worth) I apply the 'upvote' to stories/posts that I've enjoyed/like and give the 'piggy' or 'trophy' to those that 'really hit the spot' 🙂 Also, I use 'reactions given' (on my profile) as a way to quickly locate particular stories/posts which I want to read again and again!

I appreciate why the number of reactions (available to any one member), is related to membership level. However, in relation to a long story (consisting of several chapters), it can be frustrating as 'reacting' to more than one chapter can use up an entire allocation.

I do have one query though. Across one of my badges is the label 'Rare'. It might seem to be asking the obvious for an explanation, but I've no idea how I earned it?

If you hover your mouse over each of the badges you've earned, you'll see what it's earned for. For instance, you get a badge for making your first post. You get a badge as a "conversation starter" when (as I understand it) you create a topic and others begin to reply to that topic's first post. There's a "Dedicated" badge you get for visiting every day for a week or more. And so forth.

Some of the badges are less commonly awarded than others - and those badges carry the label "Rare" on the icon. In your case, the badge is for "Reacting well" - how that's measured I can't say, but if you routinely use up your allocation of reactions, that probably plays into it. You've got eight badges thus far, which I think speaks well of your activity on the site.

Among the others that seem to (at least sometimes) be labeled "Rare" are badges for "Posting Machine" (making one's 500th post) and "Very popular" (when one's posts have generated 100 or more reactions). 

• Moderators

BTW, I believe that the badges are something that was added to the platform software that BZ runs on top of, and have nothing to do with @rawTOP's implementation of the site. So they may or may not be particularly relevant to our content.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sure.  I had the same question when I first joined up.

Hover over that little white heart in the blue circle at the bottom right corner of a post (or response to the post).  You will see the various choices of emoticons appear to the left of the heart.  Move your cursor left until you're over the one you want, and click, and presto - your reaction will be there for all to see. 

You will be commenting only on that particular text; not the entire post.  If you want to, go to the initial post and choose an emoticon to comment on the subject matter.  

• Moderators
2 hours ago, hntnhole said:

Sure.  I had the same question when I first joined up.

Hover over that little white heart in the blue circle at the bottom right corner of a post (or response to the post).  You will see the various choices of emoticons appear to the left of the heart.  Move your cursor left until you're over the one you want, and click, and presto - your reaction will be there for all to see. 

You will be commenting only on that particular text; not the entire post.  If you want to, go to the initial post and choose an emoticon to comment on the subject matter.  

Note that (as explained above) if your profile says "New Members" by your avatar pic, this will not work for you. Reactions are a privilege that you earn (along with more private messages per day and other things) when you have participated in the forum a certain amount. No, I cannot tell you how much that amount is (it's some confidential formula built into the system). Somewhere between 20 and 50 posts for most people.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.