Reading Men’s Bio on Grindr

Philip

9 hours ago, Bearseeder said:

I may give someone a compliment if I find him handsome and I know we're not compatible in our interests. I never expect a response.

That's classy.

When this happens to me, I feel great, and always send a nice message in response. When I compliment a guy, it sometimes prompts a bit of conversation and even if it doesn't, I do hope my message brightened his day.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, jonny4dad said:

Seems it's everywhere I'm afraid.

I'm pretty fucking clear that I'm a total bottom cumdump on every site, but then get loads of messages wanting me to fuck their ass.  Or to fuck me wearing a condom.

It’s wishful thinking… And you do have a really nice cock but you have a better ass

• Like 1

I've been known to respond with something like: "I'm not on this site to teach you how to read English"; usually after I've established whatever is talking to me can actually understand English. They usually then accuse me of being "rude" - and I always think to myself, "If a site says I won't [whatever it is that I won't do]" then why do you ask if "I do it"?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fskn said:

I've never tried it. Recommend?

Manhunt was one of the first, if not the first, gay hook-up websites. In fact, I joined nearly 20 years ago. Way back then, there was a pretty good assortment of men, and the user interface wasn't any worse than any other website. The website was redesigned at least 10 years ago; it changed almost nothing, and I always thought the web designer was overpaid for that effort. The iOS app I always found to be close to useless.

When I was playing in the Philadelphia area 10-15 years ago, there were plenty of hot guys on the site (and I played with a fair number of them). Nowadays, at least in my neck of the woods, there seems to be an underrepresentation of guys under 40; in Ft. Lauderdale, in contrast, the age range is much more balanced. A lot of profiles aren't much more than shell profiles, ie, a profile that contains no information. The mail program is ok, and searching for a member isn't too complicated. Trying to do an area search (eg, men between 25-45, slim build, availability "ask me") will cause one to throw the Bluetooth mouse across the room. Free accounts get 25 mail conversations a day and can only usefully see the main profile picture. Paid accounts aren't outrageously expensive; I choose a 90 day non-recurring plan, and it's the grand sum of $35. My current plan expires in 7 days, and I'm not renewing since the return on investment, so to speak, has been pretty minimal.  

Needless to say, all of this is just my opinion, and someone in a different part of the country may well have a different customer experience. In any event, I hope this is of some help.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2022 at 8:12 PM, Philip said:

Are you someone who reads people’s bio on Grindr (or any other app) or do you skip it entirely and go straight to sending them a message?

I’ve noticed that a lot of people don’t read the bios. Why is that?

I find it frustrating sometimes when guys ask me questions that I have clearly written on my bio. To me, it shows a lack of care and attention to detail. I like to read other people’s bio (when there is one) because, A, the way they write gives you clues about their personality, and B, provides starting conversational topics.

I know what I want. I don't want another bottom. I don't want a "blow-n-go" kind of guy as I can get those at the local ABS if I need it so desperately. I try to find a guy who has intelligence and can complete more than 2 sentences and not just be like "Hey I'm horny. Let's fuck. Hit me up." It also helps because then when a guy says he wants "a bear" I know to move on. It doesn't waste his time or mine.

Now that being said, if a guy has a specific age range and my age is "close" like within 5 years or maybe 10, I will often times write in the hopes he's not finding someone and take a chance on "a little older." I make sure too that I acknowledge his age range and put some reason into why I'm hoping he might reconsider. I just try to be polite.

• 2 weeks later...