Reactions UI bug?

blackrobe

Bug: I've tried to put in an upvote reaction on a few posts in the last few days and I've found that the expand on hover reaction UI collapses unexpectedly while I'm still hovering on it. This limits the types of reactions that are possible.

OS X 10.15.7 and Safari 15.3 (15612.4.9.1.8, 15612)

Expected behavior: Reaction UI remains expanded until either a reaction is selected, or the mouse pointer leaves the hover area.

I swapped out the trackpad with a USB mouse and found the problem persists, so it's not an obvious hardware issue. Doing a little more testing, the UI collapses as I move left past the SAD icon on multiple messages. The same problem doesn't occur on an affected message using Chrome (98.0.4758.102 (Official Build) (x86_64)) on the above OS version. Ergo this looks like it only affects Safari. It doesn't occur on Windows 10 + Chrome either.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blackrobe said:

Ergo this looks like it only affects Safari. It doesn't occur on Windows 10 + Chrome either.

Which tells me it's not a site bug at all; it's Safari not playing well with a standard on the internet, which is scarcely surprising. Apple developers sometimes are obstinate about adhering to standards. 

2 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

Which tells me it's not a site bug at all; it's Safari not playing well with a standard on the internet, which is scarcely surprising. Apple developers sometimes are obstinate about adhering to standards. 

That's what I suspected, but needed you to punt it before I could escalate to Apple. Thanks.

Mine works .... but oddly, when I reply to a post, there's no little doo-dad to choose a reaction.  Sometimes, guys apparently can, however - since there's one of the reaction doo-dads next time I sign on ... but, this site is waaaay better than the online cruise sites, so I'm not complaining - just don't know why it's happening.

See?  I just thanked Blackrobe for posting this, but the "response" doo-dad isn't there (at least on my screen).  The lower right corner has nothing - the little circle with the white heart isn't there..... but then, I'm hardly the most compu-literate guy around either.

• Moderators
On 2/20/2022 at 6:54 PM, hntnhole said:

See?  I just thanked Blackrobe for posting this, but the "response" doo-dad isn't there (at least on my screen).  The lower right corner has nothing - the little circle with the white heart isn't there..... but then, I'm hardly the most compu-literate guy around either.

If you're referring to your reply to the post (the one that begins "Mine works .... but oddly, when I reply to a post,"), I believe that behavior is intentional (at any rate, I see it, too). You are the author of the response. You wrote it, so you don't get to rate it.

• Thanks 1

For people who use Safari, especially in iOS but also in MacOS, you will have to go to Website Settings and then turn Use Content Blockers off to successfully use some features of Breeding Zone. In iOS, start by tapping the AA icon on the left side of the address bar.

Note that Apple, Mozilla (which provides the Firefox Web browser) and Google (which provides Chrome) have all introduced tracking protection options that can interfere with dynamic content such as menus. The approaches differ, the level of strictness differs, and the default scope differs, but your browser's (site-specific and overall) anti-tracking protections are the first thing to check.

Someone assumed earlier that Apple's Safari browser must be exhibiting a non-standard and incorrect behavior. The notion that one browser is correct and another, wrong doesn't make much sense anymore. There are few cases where one can point to a specific violation of a W3C standard -- and doing so requires research and extensive testing.

More often than not, differences in browser behavior revolve around ambiguities in W3C standards, different interpretations of the same standard, or implementation details (behaviors that a standard deliberately doesn't specify).

Once again, we have a normative versus descriptive issue. Those of us who work in software know that there are numerous projects and tools whose purpose is to describe and track differences in browser behavior. Every browser has quirks.

The notion of a canonical Web browser died several decades ago, when Netscape introduced Navigator, to compete with the NCSA's Mosaic browser. There was no JavaScript back then, no CSS, no dynamic HTML, no DOM, etc., HTML itself consisted of a short, clear specification, and yet the first two browsers already exhibited some different behaviors.

Thankfully, users have a choice of many platforms, browsers, and even browser versions. If a particular site doesn't work well in Safari, try Firefox, Chrome, or even Edge. Check whether you're running the latest version. Sometimes no browser running on iOS, Anroid, ChromeOS or another mobile platform will work, and it's necessary to use a personal computer-based version...of the same browser!

I hope that this provides some insight.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Viking8x6 & fskn.  Next time Chris comes over, I'll ask him about all that technical information: to me, it might as well be written in Swahili ... some things I'm good at, and in those cases, really good. Some thing's I'm not at all good at, and in those cases, dense as dirt.  

I get that guys shouldn't be able to "react" to their own submissions - that would be silly.  I subscribe to a computer-support service, and if Chris can't figure it out, I'll call the service.  All I know about this stuff is, I push the button, the computer either comes on or it doesn't, in which case I make the call.  

Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

@hntnhole, never feel intimidated by the technology! Alway try a different browser, or switch between cell phone and computer, if something doesn't work as expected.

As a software professional (I haven't focused on the Web for 20 years, but it is always a part of the environment in the companies I work for), I find it frustrating that even when a company makes the investment to take browser quirks into account (perhaps by relying on manual testing on disparate systems, or by using the kind of cross-reference I mentioned), code workarounds meant to fix an issue in one browser may cause problems in another.

Alas, no interactive Web site, however thoughtfully programmed, will work perfectly in all browsers, and no browser will work perfectly for all Web sites.

On a related note, will your service dispatch a handsome and ideally fuckable computer support technician if you call? 😈 In a favorite movie of mine from the 1970s, the wife in a swinging couple deliberately breaks the phone so that a technician will come. She is rewarded with a phone connection that works better than ever before, plus a five-way involving her husband, the young, bi-curious married couple they've been trying to seduce, and the phone repair technician, with souvenir stills captured on a Polaroid camera!

Edited by fskn

LOL ... I think I still have an old Polaroid shoved in some box somewhere ... 

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I always had secretaries to deal with all of the electronic stuff.  And if none of them could, one of the editors was a computer-whiz, so I'd get him to do it, so I avoided the "ground floor" of how all this stuff works, but we live with the decisions we've made.  I do feel a bit - oh - ashamed, I guess - for not being proactive in learning all about this stuff years ago, my only excuse is I was really too busy with other things to take the time, and I didn't really care how it all worked.  Weak as water, huh?

Per the question though, yes, and yes I did.  He was from India, dark hair, brilliant smile, lovely Hole, but it took him a while (I'm on the thick side).  Of course, when something deleterious happens with the computer, I just so happen to have his personal number, so I call him first. Unfortunately though, he's not really a Pig in the same sense I am, but at least he takes raw Cock/Sperm up his gut. There have been others from the same company that haven't given off the slightest hint, so I didn't either. I think he sniffed around on my computer and saw some stuff when I wasn't looking (plus, the slingroom door is right next to the bathroom door, so it's entirely possible he glanced in there at some point if he had to take a leak).  In any case, his demeanor changed from thoroughly professional to thoroughly interested in fairly short order.

When the Universe presents us with that kind of gift, who am I to turn it down ???  🐷

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/19/2022 at 1:37 PM, blackrobe said:

Bug: I've tried to put in an upvote reaction on a few posts in the last few days and I've found that the expand on hover reaction UI collapses unexpectedly while I'm still hovering on it. This limits the types of reactions that are possible.

OS X 10.15.7 and Safari 15.3 (15612.4.9.1.8, 15612)

Expected behavior: Reaction UI remains expanded until either a reaction is selected, or the mouse pointer leaves the hover area.

I swapped out the trackpad with a USB mouse and found the problem persists, so it's not an obvious hardware issue. Doing a little more testing, the UI collapses as I move left past the SAD icon on multiple messages. The same problem doesn't occur on an affected message using Chrome (98.0.4758.102 (Official Build) (x86_64)) on the above OS version. Ergo this looks like it only affects Safari. It doesn't occur on Windows 10 + Chrome either.

Take heart, you're not the only one suffering from reaction collapse. I've had that same difficulty for a couple of months, and I thought it was another instance of erratic behavior of the mouse. It also does not occur on every reaction string. I haven't tested Chrome or Firefox to determine if the problem exists with those browsers.

(The technical stuff if anyone cares: M1 Mac Mini, macOS 12.2.1 (Monterey), Safari 15.3 (17612.4.9.1.8).)

5 hours ago, Njn0mc said:

How long do you have to be on this site in order to leave reactions to post?

That is addressed in dozens of responses to similar questions raised over and over again.

The short answer is, that is confidential information; the site owners don't release the formula by which advancing from one level to another is granted, so as to prevent people from gaming the system.

The longer answer is, read through this particular part of the forum - you'll see the reasoning explained in greater detail.

On 2/23/2022 at 5:41 AM, fskn said:

For people who use Safari, especially in iOS but also in MacOS, you will have to go to Website Settings and then turn Use Content Blockers off to successfully use some features of Breeding Zone. In iOS, start by tapping the AA icon on the left side of the address bar.

Note that Apple, Mozilla (which provides the Firefox Web browser) and Google (which provides Chrome) have all introduced tracking protection options that can interfere with dynamic content such as menus. The approaches differ, the level of strictness differs, and the default scope differs, but your browser's (site-specific and overall) anti-tracking protections are the first thing to check.

Someone assumed earlier that Apple's Safari browser must be exhibiting a non-standard and incorrect behavior. The notion that one browser is correct and another, wrong doesn't make much sense anymore. There are few cases where one can point to a specific violation of a W3C standard -- and doing so requires research and extensive testing.

More often than not, differences in browser behavior revolve around ambiguities in W3C standards, different interpretations of the same standard, or implementation details (behaviors that a standard deliberately doesn't specify).

Once again, we have a normative versus descriptive issue. Those of us who work in software know that there are numerous projects and tools whose purpose is to describe and track differences in browser behavior. Every browser has quirks.

The notion of a canonical Web browser died several decades ago, when Netscape introduced Navigator, to compete with the NCSA's Mosaic browser. There was no JavaScript back then, no CSS, no dynamic HTML, no DOM, etc., HTML itself consisted of a short, clear specification, and yet the first two browsers already exhibited some different behaviors.

Thankfully, users have a choice of many platforms, browsers, and even browser versions. If a particular site doesn't work well in Safari, try Firefox, Chrome, or even Edge. Check whether you're running the latest version. Sometimes no browser running on iOS, Anroid, ChromeOS or another mobile platform will work, and it's necessary to use a personal computer-based version...of the same browser!

I hope that this provides some insight.

I have not been able to use the chat function for a couple of years. Each time I try, the chat does not open, but only a new window opens with the report (see below):

+++++

Redirect URL not specified.

Array ( [error] => UserID and/or BrowserID was invalid ( / 23035767). ) 1

Debug: FP & IP. BID: 23035767

++++

I have enquired about this in the post in this forum before, but got no response. Does anyone know the cause of this problem and how it can be solved?

Needless to say, I have tried several different browsers, with limitations in settings on tracking, in iOS as well as on Windows PC and Netbook equipment, to no avail, as I always get the same report instead of the chat opening. The rest of the Breeding Zone website works OK, only the chat doesn‘t work for me.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.