Where to retire?

20 hours ago, SomewhereonNeptune said:

You mean alligators, don’t you? We don’t get crocs in Florida but we’re overrun with three things: Northern state transplants who can’t drive, alligators, and realtors. 🤣

This is simply not true.

Alligators do outnumber crocodiles in Florida, but south Florida *is* within the northern range limits for the American Crocodile (Crocodylus acutus). 

See, for instance, this page from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission: [think before following links] https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/reptiles/american-crocodile/ 

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2023 at 6:13 PM, BootmanLA said:

This is simply not true.

Alligators do outnumber crocodiles in Florida, but south Florida *is* within the northern range limits for the American Crocodile (Crocodylus acutus). 

See, for instance, this page from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission: [think before following links] [think before following links] https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/reptiles/american-crocodile/ 

Was intended for levity.

On 10/12/2023 at 3:06 PM, hntnhole said:

Realtors around here are like alligators !!! 

(and yes, I'm a transplant from the northern flatlands, and I'm pretty decent behind the wheel too)

I’ve stood corrected on the crocodile comment by the gentleman from Louisiana. And I’m originally from Jersey and moved around NY/NJ/PA for a number of years before finding myself here.

But my home office overlooks what I’ll call “my gator” since it enjoys the confines of the small pond behind the house along with a mini-zoo of other critters. 

On 1/16/2023 at 6:28 AM, Guest said:

I am leaning towards Ft. Lauderdale, as the weather is nice, there’s plenty to do, and there’s plenty of men. However, the prices of houses, condos and insurance are through the roof. So now I’m not so sure.

Palm Springs seems nice, but I don’t know anything or anybody out there on the West Coast. I would like to explore other cities. Would love to hear from the older guys on here.

Where are you all headed to?

I’m definitely leaning toward Palm Springs. I figure by the time I hit my 70s they will have normalized open fucking the streets in that town. 

2 hours ago, Robertbottomslut said:

I am leaning towards Ft. Lauderdale

1.  Yes, the weather is nice year-round (temperature-wise).  It's 90 and quite humid today, but a cool-down into the '50's (quite temporary) is expected early next week.  If you enjoy hot, humid weather, you'll get plenty of that here.  Afternoon showers, and once the sun goes down it cools off.  There are, of course, irregularities, but on the whole, it's perfect.  

2.  Plenty to do:  that depends on what (other than taking loads) you like to do.  Culturally, there's precious little here.  There are plenty of "festival-type" events, given the rich, melting-pot group of inhabitants.  If you mean the arts - there's rather little.  The Florida Grand Opera really inflates their middle name, but it's at least something.  There's a symphony orchestra in Miami that appears downtown in the Performing Arts center, and they're good at avoiding works the conductor knows they can't handle. What passes for legitimate theatre is hardly worth mentioning.  

3.  Yes, there are plenty of men of every kind and description, and they all love to fuck - morning, noon & night.  There are bathhouses, bars, fuck joints, and I've never seen a condom in any of those I go to.  There are R neighborhoods over by the coast that you may not feel comfortable in, but on the whole, Ft. L. is about as "gay" as a fairly large city can get.  Also, Miami isn't so far away, and lots that those guys make a run up to Ft. L. to hit the fuckjoints on the weekends, or locals make a run down to Miami for some fresh meat.

4. Yes, housing prices are outrageously overpriced.  Most of the new buyers are from the Northern States, and all they want is a warm place to escape the winters, then fly back home in the Springtime.  One "plus" is, we have no State income tax.  There is also a contrivance called the "homestead exemption", via which you can save thousands off your property taxes, if you actually live in that particular home.  It doesn't apply to income properties. 

5.  Homeowner's insurance costs are outrageous.  If our simple-minded Governor would lift one fat finger, he could do something about it, but he's to busy with his "woke" bullshit to bother, and we have a 2-term limit for the Governorship, so we'll be rid of him at the end of this term (unless he gets his R legislature to ditch that 2-term limit).  Interestingly, many think the current run-up in housing prices seem to think that bubble is close to bursting.  Even in my (working-class) neighborhood, there are 3/4 million dollar listings of homes (completely renovated) that aren't selling like they were a few months ago.  Real estate pricing run-up's always wind up with a collapse in prices too, if you have the patience to wait for it to happen.  

6.  Now that the Earth is starting to fight back, after getting fucked over all these years, there is that consideration too.  Fort Lauderdale has been lucky for many years, but one day we'll get TBO* here too.  Some say that one tip of the Bermuda Triangle points directly at Ft.L., which by some crazed mental process means that while ships and airplanes are sucked down into the sea, we're magically spared the hurricanes. 

I guess it depends mostly one what weight you assign to your interests.  If all you really want is a lot of raw sex, we can give that and more to you.  But, business is business too.  In any case, wait for the real estate prices to come down; they will.

Good luck with your relocation plans !!

*The Big One 

Instead of a specific place to retire, I chose to be a full time RV'er and stay at gay campgrounds.  I winter at Sawmill campground north of Tampa and summer at Camp Buckwood south of Indianapolis.  Not only is there plenty of sex, but after the original investment in a truck and trailer, it wides up being reasonably priced. 

One of the biggest joys for me is that I got rid of a massive amount of stuff that I had moved around the country multiple times.  I'm now down to just things I actually use. Truly a liberating thing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, hntnhole said:

Yikes !!!  I wouldn't want one in my back yard !!! 

The iguana's are more than enough for me, and they run when I open the door to the back yard.  

I had a relative that lived in a motor home park in FL right next to a pond (it was really larger than what most people would have called a pond).  I can't remember where in FL this was exactly but it could have been near the Tampa-St. Pete area as my extended family went down there every winter.  

My relative had a little dog who unfortunately sunned itself next to the big pond/small lake.  One day a reptile (an alligator) came out of the "pond" and the little dog became lunch.  My relative left that motor home park shortly afterwards.

A good half of Floridians live right next to predators (1) usually without any real problems but (2) often without the realization that they are there.  

Edited by fuckholedc

4 hours ago, fuckholedc said:

I had a relative that lived in a motor home park in FL right next to a pond (it was really larger than what most people would have called a pond).  I can't remember where in FL this was exactly but it could have been near the Tampa-St. Pete area as my extended family went down there every winter.  

My relative had a little dog who unfortunately sunned itself next to the big pond/small lake.  One day a reptile (an alligator) came out of the "pond" and the little dog became lunch.  My relative left that motor home park shortly afterwards.

A good half of Floridians live right next to predators (1) usually without any real problems but (2) often without the realization that they are there.  

Your relative was lucky. A couple of women this year weren't so lucky. [think before following links] https://www.wpbf.com/article/florida-deadly-gator-attack-fort-pierce-wildlife-fwc/42995531[think before following links] https://news.yahoo.com/woman-killed-florida-alligator-attack-215116994.html

I always thought I would retire to Spain and before the 2008 was looking at moving to Barcelona. Now, BCN is super expensive, as is Madrid, so I'm thinking about Valencia which is just a couple hours from both cities by train. I plan to go spend a month there probably winter 24/25 and get the vibe for the city. Another possibility is PV, but I only know it from vacationing there and have yet to spend more than a week. I too have considered Miami/FTL but abhor the direction the state has been headed politically. It really has become a quasi-Nazi stronghold.

Owing to my parents being in the foreign service and later on my job, I have lived in 16 countries. In some countries I have lived longer than others, but at a minimum I spent a full year (all seasons) in any one country. I have as such a rather unique experience and can offer some advice when it comes to retirement and what to consider when you think about moving to another state or country.

1. Always think about your finances. Are they strong enough to withstand a relocation? Will you be able to claim benefits equal or better in the pace where you are moving? Are the costs comparable? If not known, do a bit of research and check out the prices in the place you are thinking to move to. A great indication these days is to look for a local online supermarket and check out their prices. That will give you an indication of cost of living. Other things to look for are free transportation local and regional. For example, me, living in Gran Canaria, I have a 75% discount on any airline linking the islands with the mainland Spain. It gets so ridiculously cheap that on some days I can fly return from GC to Barcelona ( a 3 hours flight) for less than 30 euros (US$40). And this is cheaper than a taxi ride from the airpoirt to city centre. In Luxembourg, all local transportation is free - nobody pays a dime. On the other hand, in Switzerland a small (very small) bowl of tossed salad will set you back some SFr 20 (which is almost US$22).

2. Medicare (or MediScare in some places 😉 ) Will you be covered by a national health plan? Would your insurance from work will continue past retirement, and if so for how long? What is the cost of a private insurance? Get a quote from a local insurer and see what they cover or not. Check out what retirement benefits are offered to seniors, e.g., in Scotland healthcare is completely free, including medicine. Scotland doesn't have pharmacy dispensing fee whereas England does. Spain has a small co-payment on medicine, in France you pay for some elective drugs, but mostly it is free. In Switzerland.... well, just like in the States, you're on your own

3. Accommodation. Housing prices are really erratic. Don't rely on hearsay and don't rely on general advice. Check out the realtor websites in the state / country you focus on. Also, if moving to another country, don't generalise the prices you see in one city as representative for the entire region. Even within the same street prices can differ significantly, because of the post code (see London, England where the post code determine in majority of cases not only the price of house or rent, but also your ongoing maintenance expenses).  You need to have a local realtor who can explain all the intricacies of the rental or buying contract. Don't assume you understand it, even if written in English.  Any questions, ask beforehand.  Obviously, moving to a lesser regulated jurisdiction means that a contract may not even be drawn so you have to rely on the local custom and pray that the landlord is legit. 

4. Gay life. We all have different likes, dislikes, and point of views as to how the retirement in a perfect world should look like. Reality is that many places will check out many of your deisres, whereas others not so much.  Don't just rely on the reputation of a city being pro or gay. Again, check out the local websites and see how many bars, clubs, associations, are there in the prospective new place.  And although you may not be a bar hopping gay bunny, presence of gay mars and clubs usually it is indicative of more accepting environment. As beautiful as many places in the world are, I wouldn't want to live in a Bible belt. These places are great to visit and fantasize that maybe some day, a gay crowd will gentrify those beautiful hills in rural Tennessee. Until then, keep ;looking.

5. Moving to another country. Language barrier is real and no matter how much one can rely on Google translate or similar, life is different when you live in a country where you don't understand the language as opposed to when you just visit it for a short time. For people who only speak English, there are a few countries where you can certainly get by with English, but not for long. Because you will eventually have to deal with officialdom, and bureaucrats are notorious in any country for 'upholding local values'. Learning a foreign language, at any age, is a bit of a challenge, but, and I say this with many years of experience, all locals will appreciate the effort you are making to speak their language.

6. Culture shock. This is a big one. Moving to a different place, state, or country comes with learning a new set of customs, rules and developing new habits. And in doing so, you need to let go of your old habits. You need to learn to be friendly without being overly so, you need to smile but only enough to let the others known that you don't have bad intentions. Also, until you learn more, it's good to say that you just moved there, apologise for not speaking properly the language and continue on. A good source of information is the online local news. Check out the local newspapers and see what people talk about, what are they interested in, etc. That would give you an idea of what life in that place is all about.  

This subject on culture shock can easily take many paragraphs, but the best way to get over it is to make local friends, and absorb as much information as possible. One thing I would say though: If you move to Italy, you can still order a Capuccino after 12pm. But don't expect to actually get it ! LOL.... Oh, and in Germany, Sunday is a rest day (Ruhetag). Meaning all shops are closed. With the very few exceptions in Berlin and a handful of other places, all stores are closed. So, no shopping in Germany on Sunday. 

7. Friends and family. Moving to a different place, state or country, means that you will leave behind your circle of friends, acquaintences and family. Unless of course you already move to a place where you have family or friends. However, in both cases, you will need to either catch up with the old ones or make new friends. In the process of moving from one place to another, having friends was the thing I missed the most. I do make friends relatively easy, and for that I am really fortunate. Because everyone I know, without exception, lists the lack of friends the main source of unhappiness in a new place. And obviously, the older we get, the more difficult it gets to make friends. But not impossible. Just get to know your neighbours, the gardner, the mailman, the lady at the butcher store, etc. Even the most 'antipatico' Dane or Swiss, will open up in time. The trick is to never assume anything, and to always ask someone what is the proper manner, way or custom. Everyone loves to teach and prove themselves useful to others in distress. 

8. Climate and Environment. This is a tough one because I am blessed to live in one of the most beautiful islands in the world. Canary Islands are known as the land of eternal spring. If I am to judge by the recent heatwave mabe not so much spring but hot summer 😉 At any rate, each corner of the Earth comes with pluses and minuses: in FL you have the hurricanes and alligators, in California the constant earthquakes, PNW comes with the threat of the Big One, on the NE coast you get the snowstorms, Chicago, Detroit and Minnihopeless come with snow, wind and mosquitoes. Canada comes with 6-7 months of winter and 4-5 months of heat, humidity and flies. Australia comes with the spiders and snakes, while the good ol' Britain, well, you get mouldy in your buttcrack hehehe. So, the point is that no matter where you choose to live, you will always find some negatives. Just choose a place where you think the positives outrank the negatives by a lot. 

9. Taxation. US, has the distinction of being in a very select group of countries. It is one of only three countries that use citizenship based taxation rather than residency, - the other two being Eritrea and North Korea. (Who says the North Korea and US don't have things in common ? LOL). So if you are a US citizen you need to consider double taxation, double the trouble, and also need to understand international payments, transfers, reporting, FATCA, etc. These items do have a significant impact on your finances and banking, so do some serious research beforehand. And if you move to Great Britain, the tax year runs from 6 April to next 5 April. Just to spice things up a bit when it comes to income splitting and benefits and stuff. 

I am very much aware that this is Breeding Zone and we should be talking about cum in ass, 9" cocks adorning our mouths and faces, and cheating boyfriends, but I hope the above will be somewhat informative. If anyone wishes to get a bit more info, please DM me and I can hopefully answer your specific questions.

Until then my friends, Happy retirement fucks! 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

On 10/14/2023 at 5:11 PM, fuckholedc said:

Hmmmm .... if anyone knows how these creatures communicate, maybe we should start a little "whispering campaign" in alligator-ese or crocodile-ese, peddling just how delicious R flesh is, and how bitter D flesh is ..... 

Very sorry about the dog though ... I know every creature needs to eat, but dogs outrank almost every other critter on Earth.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BradStevens said:

I always thought I would retire to Spain and before the 2008 was looking at moving to Barcelona. Now, BCN is super expensive, as is Madrid, so I'm thinking about Valencia which is just a couple hours from both cities by train. I plan to go spend a month there probably winter 24/25 and get the vibe for the city. Another possibility is PV, but I only know it from vacationing there and have yet to spend more than a week. I too have considered Miami/FTL but abhor the direction the state has been headed politically. It really has become a quasi-Nazi stronghold.

Numbeo says: Zaragossa is the cheapest overall in north-eastern Spain

Numbeo-Eastern-Spain.png

On 10/15/2023 at 12:30 PM, EuRawBull said:

I am very much aware that this is Breeding Zone and we should be talking about cum in ass, 9" cocks adorning our mouths and faces, and cheating boyfriends, but I hope the above will be somewhat informative. If anyone wishes to get a bit more info, please DM me and I can hopefully answer your specific questions.

Until then my friends, Happy retirement fucks! 

Your post seems perfectly on-topic, and not every topic here needs to be about sex. Certainly the more there's a tie-in to bareback sex, the more appropriate the post is, but one of the fun things about this site is that topics can spiral into all sorts of directions that interest at least part of the community. Those who don't want to read about things like retirement locations can just move to another topic.

And I think you did an excellent job of covering some of the many areas that anyone considering relocating in retirement should take into account. 

• Like 1