Movie review: Bros

4 minutes ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

Got bored on an overnight flight from NY to London, and ended up watching “Bros”. Interested in what you guys thought of it, particularly any New Yorkers. Did any of it ring true?

You flew Virgin Atlantic? I watched it on an A330 overnighter from JFK to Heathrow last month.

I liked it, mostly. I like what it was trying to do and how it was attempting to be mainstream without making too many concessions. But it just missed the bullseye a tad for me. Maybe it’s because overnight transatlantic flights aren’t necessarily the best place to watch and judge a movie. I might try it again sometime.

It would be interesting to hear from any New Yorkers if any of it rang true (hell, it’s always good to hear from New Yorkers!) 

I liked it and hated it in equal measure- details like the bit where Bobby struggles to take an arse pic just to satisfy some random top’s demand on Grindr, only to find himself immediately blocked, rang very true indeed and made me laugh out loud. But I found the whole movie’s tilt toward a heteronormative happy conclusion was very disappointing, particularly as the protagonist himself had railed against such heteronormative values at the beginning.

Overall, I thought it was worth watching- even if only to drool over a shirtless Luke Macfarlane at regular intervals.

• Upvote 3

To me where most gay film struggles is presenting gays as men vs men who happen to be gay.  Or maybe i struggle with unconsciously expecting a film that fits my expectations instead of someone presenting their ideas and thoughts?  

The film hit notes for me, but the whole concert didn't resonate, but then, that's true about any movie (except Princess Bride).  

i did appreciate the efforts at being real, awkward, contradictory. i think the film made a decent exposure of how one may find they are not the person they think they are, especially when feeling the vulnerability of wanting and wanting to be wanted. 

• Like 1

After reading previous comments, I watched it this evening. I found Bobby's character to be really irritating. That's just me though... Eyerolling queens tend to affect me that way.  BF was a bit more tolerant.  I wouldn't have watched it to the end if it were not for Aaron who - physical attributes aside - seemed to me to be the most relatable character in the movie. 

A few elements in the story were funny observations. As already mentioned the Grindr-Butt-Pic scene but also the moment where the 4th person joins in the group sex scene and awkwardly struggles to get involved. Very true to backroom life! The only error I spotted was they didn't put the cap on the poppers before throwing it down on the bed.   

Entertaining - I don't regret spending time watching it, and we both kept off our iPhones for the duration, but it won't get re-watched. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/3/2023 at 8:26 AM, tallslenderguy said:

The film hit notes for me, but the whole concert didn't resonate, but then, that's true about any movie (except Princess Bride). 

Inconceivable!

• Haha 2

I live in Manhattan and am in the same demographic as the main characters (40-something, affluent, gay professional that enjoys sex parties and experiences the tensions of having a partner who doesn’t). It’s obviously heightened for comedic effect, but it seemed realistic for that very limited demographic, noted above. Obviously the majority of gay men in New York don’t live like that, but some of us do. 

I didn’t buy the actual sex scenes. The physical geometry of fucking somebody in missionary doesn’t work that way. As two gay men the actors would have known that, but they were probably toning it down for a mainstream audience. However it was nice to hear such frank and explicit dialogue, i.e., a hot masculine guy saying, “I want you to fuck me.”

• 7 months later...

On 5/3/2023 at 9:43 AM, Spunkinmyarse said:

Got bored on an overnight flight from NY to London, and ended up watching “Bros”. Interested in what you guys thought of it, particularly any New Yorkers. Did any of it ring true?

Most films shown on airliners are edited for both content and length. Does anyone know how this one was altered? 

okay so .. I'm a Hallmark fan (they have a lot of handsome, sexy men) .. Luke Macfarlane has made lots of Hallmark movies - and i watch every one (multiple times) cuz i like him .. i like his manner .. i like his voice .. and i think he's HAF.  So i enjoyed seeing him in the movie.  The Bobby character played by Billy Eichner - not so much.  I've seen Eichner on some talk shows and his movie character was actually toned down.  But the movie was okay and I'm glad i watched it.   

1 hour ago, SlampaBay said:

Most films shown on airliners are edited for both content and length. Does anyone know how this one was altered? 

I saw it first on a Transatlantic flight, too. Then again, some months later. I can’t honestly say if they were different versions, although it didn’t really hold my attention the second time and I wasn’t fully concentrating. 

I liked it enough. It's a Rom-Com - pretty classic in it's story, albeit with two gay leads.  I've loved Luke Macfarlane for years. If you like him, also check out Killjoys. It's sci-fi, but there's a few gay/poly sub plots. Plus, he's oh so easy on the eyes.

• Like 1