Understall action

pigjockbb

16 hours ago, ErosWired said:

If you don’t know in advance what the signals are meant to convey in context, they could mean anything. For me, prior to this conversation, if I had seen someone’s foot conspicuously tapping from the next stall over, my assumption would have been that the occupant had run out of toilet paper and was discreetly attempting to ask for assistance. My response would have been to set a roll on the floor, which obviously would not have been the expected response.

If I saw someone tapping his foot my first thought would be: "I wonder what's on his playlist." 

On a certain level I find it hilarious that members of a sex forum either don't know or won't describe how understall sex is initiated, and instead site a 50 year old book based on a student dissertation written by a priest who tracked his 'research participants' via license plate numbers and police connections. Is that really the perfect study guide on the subject of tea room sex? Has nothing changed in the intervening half-century? If not, should I search e-bay for a polyester Neru jacket and platform shoes so I can cruise like it's 1973?

For what it's worth, that book can be found in the Internet Archive so it is accessible for free.  If anyone does read it though, please post any relevant info so the rest of us can learn the proper way to cruise.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'll agree with previous posters that you need to find an active venue, and that seems to be much tougher than it once was. Universities and colleges are good bets (if you can avoid getting ejected by the campus police), and mall department stores are notorious. Some hotels (the bathrooms in the publicly accessible areas) are good, especially the ones that are NOT on the main lobby floor (try the basement or mezzanine). If the venue is extremely active, you'll have no trouble figuring it out. If it's only mildly active, it's a lot tougher - and can involve a ridiculous amount of waiting around for someone to show up.

Squirt.org listings can be helpful - though their accuracy is only so-so.

• Upvote 2

*~sigh~*

Okay, let’s try it this way:

1. How do you know, or are you just taking a random chance, that the person in the adjoining stall is open to homosexual action? The odds are not generally favorable in an open context.

2. If you are a Top looking to penetrate, how do you indicate this desire? If you are a bottom looking to receive, how do you signal this? There has to be some way that this transaction is organized.

3. What, precisely, does a tapping foot signify? Are there variations? Are there variations in the proper response?

4. What does reaching beneath the stall signify? Is there a difference depending on the number of fingers used, or the whole hand? Are you actually reaching with the expectation of being handed something, or is this merely a signal?

5. How does one know whether oral or anal service is desired? (This always seems like a murky question with gloryholes to me, too).

6. How brazen is one expected to be in actually crawling partway beneath and between stalls in order to make anatomy available? Is the likelihood of someone coming into the bathroom not a significant consideration? If someone does come in, does the action abruptly stop, pause until the person leaves, or continue?

7. Is this activity actually somewhat limited to those with the flexibility/agility to contort themselves into the awkward positions required?

8. To what degree are other forms of communication employed beyond hand and foot signals? Is it generally understood that the interaction is to be as quiet as possible?

9. Is it normally expected that the other person will remain in his stall? How frequently does it happen that he leaves his stall to come entirely into the other one?

I’m sure we could get deeper into the weeds here, but answering a few practical questions would be more helpful than ‘read a book’ or ‘find a place where lots of guys are doing it’. You can hear lots of French spoken in Paris, but if you don’t understand French to start with, nothing anybody says will be ‘obvious’.

1 hour ago, ErosWired said:

1. How do you know, or are you just taking a random chance, that the person in the adjoining stall is open to homosexual action? The odds are not generally favorable in an open context.

You have to make your determination on a variety of factors. In addition to the foot tapping somme combination of, has he been in the stall for a long time, with no obvious signs he is taking a shit, you can also quite often tell from either sound or the shadows on the floor if he is jacking off, which is a great indicator that he is there for sex. He may also initiate the exchange by tapping his foot, or bending down to just above eye level with the bottom of the stall wall repeatedly. Less frequently coughing in a manner that is obviously fake when you have heard it several times.

2 hours ago, ErosWired said:

2. If you are a Top looking to penetrate, how do you indicate this desire? If you are a bottom looking to receive, how do you signal this? There has to be some way that this transaction is organized.

You generally aren't going to know, understall action probably 75% oral, and at least 90% mutual. So the best assumption is you will be both sucking and getting sucked. If you want to negotiate in advance go the toilet paper note route or whisper your intentions if safe to do so.

3. What, precisely, does a tapping foot signify? Are there variations? Are there variations in the proper response?

There are almost as many variations as men doing it. It signifies interest in doing something. Generally if you respond in kind he will move his foot towards yours until they are touching or start tapping more enthusiastically. If you have responded he may start subtly running his finger along the bottom of the stall wall or start bending down for a peek. Also look for any of the signals I described for #1.

5. How does one know whether oral or anal service is desired? (This always seems like a murky question with gloryholes to me, too).

It almost always starts as oral, and usually doesn't move beyond that. If he tries to push your hand towards his hole while you are sucking him, it's a signal he wants fucked or if he is brazen will turn around and present his hole, if he moves his fingers towards your hole while he is sucking you, he is most likely looking to fuck.

6. How brazen is one expected to be in actually crawling partway beneath and between stalls in order to make anatomy available? Is the likelihood of someone coming into the bathroom not a significant consideration? If someone does come in, does the action abruptly stop, pause until the person leaves, or continue?

Typically the facilities that are used have walls that stop at least a foot above the floor, so getting down on your knees and sticking it under or squatting to fuck will suffice. Crawling under the wall does happen, but keep in mind how much time you have to recover before attempting such a move. If someone comes in, you scramble to get back on your throne, and wait until the newcomer leaves or signals he is there for the same purpose, if he is experienced he can usually tell you were engaged in activity and accelerate his signals. If he is there for the same reason give him a show or if he is next to your stall invite him to join.

7. Is this activity actually somewhat limited to those with the flexibility/agility to contort themselves into the awkward positions required?

I'm a 53 year old who has several vertebrae fused and can still manage it when I get the opportunity. So I would say no.

8. To what degree are other forms of communication employed beyond hand and foot signals? Is it generally understood that the interaction is to be as quiet as possible

If you are alone, or everyone in the washroom is confirmed as being there for the same reason there is sometimes verbal communication. I've also mentioned passing toilet paper messages under the wall several times. Your hookup may know of a better location, often somewhere with a locking door, or go home with them,  that 2 or 3 of you can go for some real fun, which does require more communication.

9. Is it normally expected that the other person will remain in his stall? How frequently does it happen that he leaves his stall to come entirely into the other one?

It depends on the washroom, you do sometimes double up. One of you can squat on the toilet or raise up your feet if someone comes in. It frequently happens in single stall washrooms or anytime both understall and urinal cruising is happening, and can if there is ample warning result in some decent orgies in front of the stalls. 

This pic looks suspiciously like the one of my favorite tearooms from my undergrad days. It was definitely the best choice ion campus if you wanted to fuck or get fucked. I had a lot of 3 way fucks in that handicap stall, and at least a handful of groups of this size or more in front of the stalls.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i've had hundreds of Cocks in t-rooms, when i first started having sex with Men, it was my primary resource... but that was before online, cell phones and aps, when cruising was a big method of how one got to hook up.

As a repressed kid full of hormones and desire, i'd go to restrooms and sit in a stall for hours just to  be around guys i knew wanted sex with guys. my first clue was all the messages on the stall walls. There were phone numbers, dates and full on ads lol.  A lot of my initial education about t-room sex came from reading the messages on stall walls.  Also, holes in the dividing stall walls for peeping, or glory holes let you know someone is using, or has used,  the location for sex. 

Hormones and the sex drive did the rest. As others have noted, hang out long enough and someone will make it clear.  Each "tapping" discreetly initially,  but some are so horny it doesn't take long for a tapping foot to become a cock or ass. Others are more shy and demure, maybe new; there is no one standard response. 

As to what you want?  That was always pretty clear. A Guy would slide His legs and hard cock under the wall and i'd sit on His cock. Or conversely, i'd present my ass and a Guy would slide in. 

The toilet paper notes back and forth can be a way of more detail, an early form of gay texting that has since evolved?  Careful with that one though.  Vice cops used to go to active t-rooms and pretend to cruise and entrap  guys, that probably happens a lot less these days, but notes can be used as evidence against you, so make sure he's passing the same note back and not keeping them. 

Mall restrooms used to be great... i don't think Amazon offers the same service?  Parks are another source, as are rest stops with truckers who have sleepers conveniently attached to their trucks, but late night or 24 hour sex in rest stop restrooms is a thing, probably one of the more active sources still around? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Experience helps in locating these kinds of locations. My most recent encounter was in LA last summer, I was at the beach and just went in to use the facilities for there intended purpose, and wound up exchanging some cock sucking with 1 of the 2 guys who were in there when I entered. Since I can't remember if I've ever found a tearoom encounter here in Portland (I have lucked out a few times at rest areas on I5) and hadn't been traveling much due to COVID, so it must be like riding a bicycle.

On 5/10/2023 at 4:00 PM, funpozbottom said:

On a certain level I find it hilarious that members of a sex forum either don't know or won't describe how understall sex is initiated, and instead site a 50 year old book based on a student dissertation written by a priest who tracked his 'research participants' via license plate numbers and police connections. Is that really the perfect study guide on the subject of tea room sex? Has nothing changed in the intervening half-century? If not, should I search e-bay for a polyester Neru jacket and platform shoes so I can cruise like it's 1973.

You're totally right about the book, yet it is funny to me how relevant the information is today. I own a copy, and read most of it. I remember going looking for it in the Chicago Public Library because I had heard about the book online, and was having issues "cracking the code" to be an effective cruiser as this thread discusses in some replies. The book was supposedly always in the library, yet I never found it on the shelf. 

Thinking back not much has changed in spite of the apps. If you find an active tearoom in the wild, or just meeting there some of the "roles & rules" are still there. The author coined or stole the term "Watchqueens" for those that are the lookouts. He breaks that down even further, see attached.

I can't help but thinking the longevity of the book being in circulation is that it shows how little certain aspects of cruising have changed in spite of the apps. The other thing is whether or not someone is actually studying this behavior with modern inventions such as the cell phone etc being taken into consideration. Unless another major, lethal, STI outbreak such as AIDS comes along I doubt much attention would be paid to the subject beyond those of us that participate or want to. 

troom.jpg

• Upvote 2

I found this book on the library shelves of my college library. I furtively read the whole thing hidden deep in the library stacks, turned on the whole time as I read. I usually had to go beat off after reading any part of it. It certainly helped me to understand more of what was going on around me in the bathrooms. I had forgotten all about it till I came across this post.

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2023 at 5:00 PM, funpozbottom said:

If I saw someone tapping his foot my first thought would be: "I wonder what's on his playlist." 

On a certain level I find it hilarious that members of a sex forum either don't know or won't describe how understall sex is initiated, and instead site a 50 year old book based on a student dissertation written by a priest who tracked his 'research participants' via license plate numbers and police connections. Is that really the perfect study guide on the subject of tea room sex? Has nothing changed in the intervening half-century? If not, should I search e-bay for a polyester Neru jacket and platform shoes so I can cruise like it's 1973?

For what it's worth, that book can be found in the Internet Archive so it is accessible for free.  If anyone does read it though, please post any relevant info so the rest of us can learn the proper way to cruise.

I heard about this book in one of my criminal justice classes.  The author was dragged over the proverbial coals for his methodology.  It's not a how-to guide by any stretch of the imagination.  

One aspect of tearooms I remember from my youth is the timing factor.

Usually the best tea rooms were located down a LONG hallway where you could hear footsteps approaching as well as a noisy entry door that was around a corner from the stalls. I remember my local mall Sears had a double door entrance which gave extra time.

As far as agents of social control, I remember my first tearoom had a cleaner who would 'clean' the restroom for long periods of time but actually just watch the action. Never participate.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, topblkmale said:

Usually the best tea rooms were located down a LONG hallway where you could hear footsteps approaching as well as a noisy entry door that was around a corner from the stalls. I remember my local mall Sears had a double door entrance which gave extra time.

As far as agents of social control, I remember my first tearoom had a cleaner who would 'clean' the restroom for long periods of time but actually just watch the action. Never participate.

That is true, the most active ones I'm aware of were mostly isolated at the end of a hallway you could hear people entering or up or down a flight of noisy metal stairs.

24 minutes ago, NWUSHorny said:

That is true, the most active ones I'm aware of were mostly isolated at the end of a hallway you could hear people entering or up or down a flight of noisy metal stairs.

This brought back memories of the main university library where I went. The marble steps went down to the lowest level where there was nothing but a mens bathroom where you could hear the echoing of footsteps before the heavy door opened. Its reputation was well known. I never quite understood why there wasn’t a women’s down there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Piggy 2

4 hours ago, topblkmale said:

I was in a tearoom on a business trip last year that was totally insane. At one point one of the cleaners came in and stood watching the action, didn't participate but didn't do anything to stop. One of the players was full on jacking his huge uncut cock in view of the guy too.

• Upvote 3