Orlando HIV rates continue to outpace national average

tighthole64

• tighthole64 changed the title to Orlando HIV rates continue to outpace national average

Maybe it's just me, but that link took me to the "subscribe" page, with a number of teasers included.  I do wonder why Orlando, as opposed to, say - Ft. Breedingdale or Miami - but I doubt I'll subscribe to that newspaper just to read the answer, if there is one.  

Anyone else experience the same issue?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Downtown Orlando and nearby Orlo Vista stood out in 2021 for their high infection rates. The 32805 zip code had one of the highest rates of people living with HIV, more than six times higher than Florida’s rate. This zip code is primarily Black and mostly made up of people in their 20s to 40s.

Over the last five years, the number of PrEP users in Orange County tripled from 1,852 in 2018 to 5,553 in 2022, according to Aidsvu.

But the data shows that these resources aren’t reaching some of the people who need them the most. While almost 80% of those diagnosed in Orlando were linked to and received HIV care after their diagnosis, only about 67% were “virally suppressed,” which is when medications lower HIV’s viral load so much that it can’t be detected or transmitted.

“People are linking to care but not staying in care,” said Elena Cyrus, an infectious disease epidemiologist at the University of Central Florida who has studied HIV across the state and country.

One large factor impacting people’s ability to get regular HIV care in Orlando is economic disparity, said Shaundia White, the Orlando regional director of the AIDS Healthcare Foundation.

“Income disparity, housing costs, job insecurity, it’s impacting individuals’ lives. Those things are really outside of the sphere of HIV care, but they’re all playing some indirect role,” said White. “When those social factors are going on in someone’s life, their health tends to take a backseat.”

---------------------

And it continues and even talks about "testing stigma" ... in 2023!!!  

Basically a lack of universal healthcare + economic factors (YAA American capitalism, failing people openly) + social factors is causing HIV to spread at a higher rate (my interpretation).

Edited by fuckholedc
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Piggy 1

19 hours ago, fuckholedc said:

Basically a lack of universal healthcare + economic factors (YAA American capitalism, failing people openly) + social factors is causing HIV to spread at a higher rate (my interpretation).

Mine as well, fuckholedc.  Thanks so much for the more in-depth explanation.  

Edited by hntnhole
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2023 at 11:13 AM, JimInWisc said:

I've no way to verify, but I think our social trend AWAY from facts is contributing to this.  

It would make sense tbough.. publix health is pretty terrible and informing the public is pretty terrible.. 

The information is there.  Just that now there has been a massive increase of misinformation.  Honestly, on one hand it is tiring.  Even comparatively tame advertising contains so  much overt misinformation.   Stuff that should be humor but comes across as facts.  (e.g.: Modern uses of the classic "recommended by doctors everywhere", a very low bar.  TikTok fine for opinion.  But TikToc isn't the news.)  There is probably/certainly/definitely too much reporting of opinion.  And we have a very unhealthy reliance on polling which on the surface are "facts", but facts about opinion. 

On one hand glad I am taking notice; I have to hope that almost everyone does that.  But when I do watch the "between show advertising" the majority of what is said is information out of context, or simply false.  But I fear that is not the case.  

Further reporting now is often absent context of those facts.  Essentially the modern version of "when did you stop beating your wife".  (Tacit assumption that hopefully becomes less common.).  And damn; WTF "breaking news" becoming the standard lead it.  More often its an update of an old story.  Wouldn't a better organization be "new news; updates on old news".    

Added to this that media is rife with pundits telling us their opinion, often based upon data not supported by facts.  If one doesn't engage their own intellect they can come across as totally wrong brain dump.  Accept cuz Tucker said it; giving no nod to this examples of spurious reporting (and I believe I am being rather generous in my word choice).  If Rachel says it, it must be right thinking.

It can be entertaining but take us down a path to blind acceptance of misinformation.  This stuff is topics humans have talked about for years.  Humans have done this for thousands of years  (intentional misinformation).  

Edited by JimInWisc
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JimInWisc said:

(and I believe I am being rather generous in my word choice). 

You're being tremendously generous ... 

When I bought my tv, I had it altered so it won't even go to Fox (unless there's a good game on), and as far as I'm concerned, the Woman in Black - relentlessly self promoting - can go on a looooong fishing trip - a really long one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hntnhole said:

You're being tremendously generous ... 

When I bought my tv, I had it altered so it won't even go to Fox (unless there's a good game on), and as far as I'm concerned, the Woman in Black - relentlessly self promoting - can go on a looooong fishing trip - a really long one.

I definitely understand why you did that.  Difficult to listen when the whole premise is based on a false foundation.  I can't be the only one who is just plain tired of hearing that blowhard every fucking day.  I like presidents doing their job and generally giving me annual updates.  

On 11/21/2023 at 5:43 PM, fuckholedc said:

“Income disparity, housing costs, job insecurity, it’s impacting individuals’ lives. Those things are really outside of the sphere of HIV care, but they’re all playing some indirect role,” said White. “When those social factors are going on in someone’s life, their health tends to take a backseat.”

That makes complete (and terrible) sense.  Never having been to Orlando (the mouse, and all that ... ) I didn't know the state of socio/economic conditions there.  As a kid, the family went to Disneyland in CA, and that was enough.  I went to Riverview in Chicago once (visiting relatives with kids (shudder), and that was fun more for the shady characters hanging around than anything else. 

Had I known it then, maybe the Huckster-in-Chief was there too, learning his craft, and maybe .... well .... 'nuff said .....