What Was Your Family's Religion?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. What Was Your Family's Religion?

• Protestant - Born Again Christian
    • Protestant - Other
    • Roman Catholic
    • Other Christian
    • Jewish
    • Other Organized Religion (Muslim, Buddist, Hindu, etc.)
    • "Spiritual", but not part of an organized religion
    • Atheist / Agnostic / Deist

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints-went through several sex conversion workshops, lots of fun, especially when the person who is trying to persuade to you to be straight, takes off your clothes, his clothes start to explore and ends up fucking you;)

• Like 1

i was raised as one of jehovah's witnesses. anyone else get to experience that twilight-zone-esque upbringing (pvt message me, let's talk)? can't even begin to describe that weirdness - it would take me weeks to get it all down, and more posts here than any of you want to read. i can say this (and if it strikes a chord with any of you, again, pvt me and let's talk): i was 10 or 11 when i first questioned the odd exchange described in Genesis Chapter 3 vs. 1-7 and the outcome, particularly the exceedingly strange words and actions attributed to "God" in vs. 22 and 23. i never got an answer that made any sense (at least within the convoluted logic of their teachings) but my "questioning" (and those bible versus - they form the kernel of my personal belief system to this day) began a long and convoluted personal journey of spiritual discovery that has left me a deeply spiritual person but not a religious one.

• Upvote 1

Guest Raxi Starbeam

I was raised a non-denominational Christian on one side. The other didn't really have any religion until one of my uncles became Born Again and decided to take the family weirdness to another level. Even going so far as rejecting any family members who were non-conforming i.e. me, my mother, and anyone they just had bad blood with. Too bad too, because my uncle was hot. He was the one who figured out I was gay before I was gay. And I wished if there was any family "bond" it would have been with him.

The non-denom family side wasn't that into it, except for my grandmother. I never asked her why she was such a devout Christian, but I wasn't thinking of much besides figuring who I was and why I liked boys and to see other guys' penis' :)

Just an option: would it be better if we had a multiple choice option when we vote for this? For those who truly had a double/multiple religious upbringing. My boyfriend, for example, grew up Jewish and Mormon.

I didn't believe that either until I met his family a couple of years ago. That is some messed, childhood memories.

• 6 years later...

Fundamentalist Christian.  To me, "fundamentalist" anything is a cult. Any time one starts thinking they know what God thinks or wants, i think one has entered, and is living in, delusion land.  i don't usually have a problem with people who believe in something or someone, but when believe ventures into knowledge, that's when those people feel they know who's naughty or nice, who's going to heaven and who's going to hell.  i think that's when religion gets evil. 

Officially atheist in Cuba then Catholic once we got to the US, both with a pretty big dose of Santeria thrown in since neither atheism nor Catholicism was weird enough on its own.

Edited by Qban
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest BritBottom

I was born a bastard when such a thing was shameful.  My mother had married but he deserted her & my half-brother.  Then, you had to wait 7 yrs for a divorce based on desertion, but in the meantime she met my father and I turned up.  My parents were wonderful people; they kept me and played married until they legally were able to do so.  As a bastard I was never baptised as a child.  They were brought up Church of England, my first school was affiliated to the church next door. I went to a children’s Sunday School until I asked my Mother if I could stop.  They agreed with my reasoning so, though I liked the general message, I let religion go. 

I was 9 or 10 when I sensed I was different – at that time being ‘queer’ or a ‘homo’ was despised in the same way as paedophilia is now. All varieties of the churches preached against us.  The more aware of who (not what being gay is intrinsic to my nature) I was I developed the less I had any regard for a religion that hated me.  Despite some good basic philosophy, I generally regard it as a totalitarian political institution with the carrot of heaven and the stick of hell to maintain a power base.

As much as would like to believe in something good and greater, from an early age have been unable to rationalise wishful thinking with the reality of the world around me – so basically agnostic. If I ever did consider taking a religion it would be Buddhism where I, not others, am responsible own soul.

That said, I’ll never give up hope that a horny Santa type might visit me on Christmas Eve with a big juicy present.