Talking to Friends About PrEP - Young Friend Seroconverted Recently

fskn

Do you bring up your use of PrEP with friends? How do they react? How often will a friend go on PrEP at your suggestion? Or not go on it?

A friend of mine, living right in my neighborhood and only in his early twenties, told me last week that he had seroconverted. A year ago, when I started PrEP, I mentioned it to him twice, even letting him know where he could go to enroll in a free PrEP study. I feel so sad that he didn't heed that advice and has now seroconverted. (It goes without saying that I'd be happy for him if he had been chasing or had met a special guy to "father" his infection, but in this case, he definitely did not want to become Poz.)

Another friend of mine started PrEP through his regular medical plan. He's about to exhaust his first month's supply and couldn't see his doctor for a renewal due to the holiday weekend, so I've been on his case to take it seriously. He's a bottom, so he has a substantial risk.

Any thoughts about how to get guys in our social circles to be curious about/open to PrEP?

I talk to all my friends about it. I have this one friend who says he is just BBing with guys 'he knows' are negative and that he doesn't need it. It's really fustrating because I know he's next in line to seroconvert. He's afraid of side effects and stuff.

Another best buddy seroconverted last year after someone went stealth on him. He was very good using condoms but even then someone pull it out and shot a heavy poz load in him and pozzed him. PrEP was available at this time but he deemed it not necessary because 'he' was using condoms. I quote the 'he' because no one seems to mention that condoms have to be worn by the top and the protection comes from someone else doing something. PrEP is something YOU can do to protect your very own health.

He's afraid of side effects and stuff.

The most frustrating situation of all. Side effects, if they happen, are a month of feeling like crap. Once your body's used to the drugs, it relaxes. The common side effects of truvada are list in the 1 in 10 people range (which I read as 19% - the information sheet is further advertising, and allows them to round the numbers downwards). Listen carefully: SIDE EFFECTS ARE NOT COMPULSORY! Sorry for shouting, but some people need it.

I'll be honest and say that I have a lot of problems with side effects, but that's because I limped from new drug to new drug starting in 1989, when the main objective was to save some lives with the drugs that were available: I started with AZT monotherapy and survived it. A number of my friends didn't. But things aren't like that any more: there are enough drugs now that you can change combination several times before finding the one that fits your lifestyle and doesn't make you sick. I always recommend people give a month or more to work out if that combination is right for them - after all we're talking pretty serious chemicals. You always have a right to switch to another combination.

No-one who's had sex can know that he's negative. All a negative test result means is that what they were looking for wasn't visible. I work on the principle of HIV+ and HIV unknown. If indeed it turns out the the "unknown" guy actually is negative I can't turn round and say "tough shit, kid" nor am I willing to be Pozdaddy. If I were HIV- and in the USA I'd be at the head of the queue for PrEP...

I think many are afraid of the costs and just don't even bother checking into it and seeing if the savings card and other programs might apply for them and make it affordable afterall. I tell everyone don't just dismiss it you never know until you try. I did that with my ADHD medication and get it free every month now. Anyone who is barebacking regularly with men they don't know should get on PrEP the side effects, well you won't know if you get them until you try it.

Personally, I don't know anything about PrEP. What I would hypothesize though is, the US Supreme Court ruling on Hobby Lobby's coverage of birth control could certainly have implications for employer coverage of an HIV preventive drug.

Personally, I don't know anything about PrEP. What I would hypothesize though is, the US Supreme Court ruling on Hobby Lobby's coverage of birth control could certainly have implications for employer coverage of an HIV preventive drug.
But that was for religious reasons I am not aware of any religion that would be able to get an exemption for HIV prevention. The whole issue Hobby Lobby had was they consider certain forms of birth control to be abortion. I think that the courts ruling was narrow in such that it would not allow a company to stop covering PrEP just because the companies owners think homosexuality is a sin because PrEP is for gay or straight people.

• Moderators

Also insurance companies are deciding to pay for PrEP since paying for one medication and periodic tests is cheaper than paying for the full treatment of an HIV infection. Money issues trump those kinds of concerns for insurance companies.

otebbtop, while the Hobby Lobby decision is worrisome, it was focused on the question of employer payment for, not even availability of coverage for, birth control methods that religious nuts believe are like abortion. The result is that closely-held corporations will not have to pay for such services but that insurers will continue to offer the coverage, spreading the cost to the rest of their insurance pool and/or relying on direct federal subsidies.

PrEP is markedly different because, among other things, it can be used by straight and gay men and women, even though our focus is obviously on gay men.

Out of curiosity, do you breed neg bottoms, and specifically, ones who aren't chasing? You could learn about PrEP ( www.prepfacts.org ) and let them know about it!

The side effect profile of negative people on Truvada is different than that for positive. We're in under 5% territory, as low as 1% in many cases. Bodies that aren't otherwise fighting against HIV tolerate the meds in Truvada much more easily than those who are positive. It's another reason I push everyone negative I know to consider PrEP.

Do you bring up your use of PrEP with friends? How do they react? How often will a friend go on PrEP at your suggestion? Or not go on it?

A friend of mine, living right in my neighborhood and only in his early twenties, told me last week that he had seroconverted. A year ago, when I started PrEP, I mentioned it to him twice, even letting him know where he could go to enroll in a free PrEP study. I feel so sad that he didn't heed that advice and has now seroconverted. (It goes without saying that I'd be happy for him if he had been chasing or had met a special guy to "father" his infection, but in this case, he definitely did not want to become Poz.)

Another friend of mine started PrEP through his regular medical plan. He's about to exhaust his first month's supply and couldn't see his doctor for a renewal due to the holiday weekend, so I've been on his case to take it seriously. He's a bottom, so he has a substantial risk.

Any thoughts about how to get guys in our social circles to be curious about/open to PrEP?

Im just very open about being on it, and when any kind of sexual health discussion come up, and mention it, and strongly recommend anyone at risk go on it.

I feel for your friend. I had the exact same experience with a guy I chatted with back in October of last year. He was neg at the time, and really wanted to go on PrEP. He missed his first appointment for it, then the holidays came, and he didn't get around to it until February, at which point he tested poz. He had just been tested in September before, and I guess he took a few dicks in late December at a party, and he was 99% sure thats what did it because he got sick in January.

My main advice would be to keep reminding people to do it. PrEP only works if you take it.

I noticed a couple comments about people are resisting Prep because of side effects. What about the side effects of an HIV drug when you accidentally convert? I'd prefer suffer through a few weeks of side effects on a drug that's going to prevent me requiring a different drug for the rest of my life. As a bottom, I also wonder if my top is actually wearing his condom every time I fuck a new guy. Besides, I'm not a big fan of condoms. I feel gay sex was meant to be condom free. If I can, I'd prefer to keep it that way.

I've been out of the position to fuck for about a year now, but, I'll tell you, if I can afford Prep when I get back to the world of fucking, I sure the hell will go on Prep and let every guy I can breed me.

I noticed a couple comments about people are resisting Prep because of side effects.

I see a lot of folks reading the Truvada label and start screaming of the horrible things that are spelled out there, so I'm sure that puts a lot of people off. We just need a lot more push in the community to reach out and inform people about it, let them know side effects are rare, and if they are there are manageable. It will take time but it's happening already.

I have a fuck buddy of mine who fucks me raw but he's HIV negative. But he tells me sometimes he takes raw cock. I asked him if he takes neg or poz. He told me neg guys. You probably know where I'm going with this. I recommended he goes on PREP. He told me he was a little scared about asking his doctor for it so I gave him some advice. He believes that his insurance will cover it and I told him to tell them he's in contact with a poz guy. Hard for them to argue with.

I've randomly mentioned prep on sites like BBRT or adam4adam too if a bottom talks to me and wants me to poz them. I just recommend that they at least look into PREP and consider it so they can stay neg and bb all they want, if they choose too. I actually knew two guys online before who desperately wanted to get pozed. I spoke to them recently and they are both on PREP now. Another common thing I tell people is that, "Hey, if it was around when I was slutting I would have taken it."

• Upvote 1