rawTOP

Would you use "Login via Google"?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use "Login via Google"?

• No - I'd use name/password or Twitter
    • Maybe
    • Yes

• Administrators
I see no real advantage for me to sign on via any social media over the current login. I go with the leave it as it is crowd. Add it if it brings you new traffic.

Well, it's unlikely you'll forget both the password here and on your social media account. But if you forget one, you have a fall-back with the other. Also with Twitter, once linked, your Twitter timeline will appear on your profile page (see mine as an example), and it makes it easier to tweet about things you like on the site (which might be important to guys who actively use Twitter).

HELL NO! Absolutely not. Nothing with Google.

Well, you don't say why you feel that way, so it's hard to take you seriously. Plus, as I explained, Google Analytics is already on most of the sites you visit. It's impossible to say "Nothing with Google" - you might as well just disconnect from the Internet.

Edited by rawTOP

A year ago I got a new Android phone and switched carriers. In the process of transferring my contacts, clearing the duplicate entries, making groups, and copying contacts from Outlook on my computer, Google+ sent out invitations to join Google+ to every contact I touched that night, and I had no idea it was doing it until I got a reply from a friend saying thanks, but he doesn't use the service. Yikes!

I had joined Google+ at a friend's invitation and had only him as a friend, but suddenly everyone now knew my Google+ info. Fortunately, it was a harmless username, not something for play. So, no, I'm not going to use Google login because I have no intention of spending the time configuring it so that I am certain that I don't embarrass myself by mixing everyone up.

I'm a big fan of Mozilla Persona - it lets you login with your google account, but without google knowing what you're signing into :-) You might check that out. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/persona/

Another good option is OpenID. Then people can sign in with the site of their choice. My websites are all set up to generate and receive OpenIDs: http://openid.net/

• 1 month later...