Prep Stigma

Guest bearbackgemini

Guest bearbackgemini

So this weekend I shared in confidence with a couple friends that I plan on starting PrEP and one of them (who's also promiscuous) had the strangest reaction and basically called me a slut for even considering it. The other stayed quiet but share with me before that he thought it was a good idea. Has anyone else tried having this conversation with very close friends or do you keep this private?

In my city, we're lobbying for Prep so I made the decision to make my interest public to the larger lgbt community. I get lots of positive reactions but also some attacking Prep - basically always with the argument that Prep will turn men into bareback whores. To which my reply so far has been that 1) research shows that Prep doesn't make all gay men into sluts (I think Rawtop posted a link somewhere on this forum, should look that one up) and 2) however I decide to behave sexually, as a slut or not, is none of anyone else's business.

Seriously, how much of a friend is that guy really when he starts calling you a slut for wanting to go on Prep?!?

• Upvote 1

I saw this guy on Huffpost live he was one of the early PrEP proponents totally like what he says in his videos posted on his website and he is kind of cute too http://damonljacobs.com/

I do some outreach work for PrEP and have talked to many people involved in the effort.  One of the major issues that we have encountered in so called "slut shaming"  Personally I have never thought much of it, and let peoples words roll off my back, but it is a very real thing.  Many guys for whatever reason see PrEP as some sort of cheating for lack of a better word, and they refuse to see the benefit.  

I have been very open about being on PrEP and have got several friends to start it, and I consider that a success.  Many initially called me named like "hoe" in a somewhat joking manner when I told them about it, but after reading up a bit more, several started PrEP.  I dont expect feelings to change overnight, but getting the message out is a huge start.