If it was up to you to set a new age of consent, what would the age be and why?

rawTOP

What age of consent would you choose?  

1,744 members have voted

1. 1. What age of consent would you choose?

• No age of consent - just stiffen penalties for rape if victim is under 18
    • Keep it at 18

On 11/13/2020 at 12:53 AM, raw773 said:

I would gently suggest if you don't like something you've read, maybe just let it go. As I say, you've gotten into a lot of fights with others. It's just not the vibe here.

I can ignore a lot of things, but openly advocating for a legal system that would, in effect, render child rape legal under many circumstances isn't one of them. You're right that he doesn't owe me an explanation. He also isn't entitled to have his arguments in favor of it go unchallenged, within the rules of this forum.

This topic asks a question "What age, and why?" (boiled down for simplicity). The why implies defending your position. I'm going to defend mine.  

• 2 months later...

While puberty is a moving target, most religions and cultural beliefs declare boys men between 13 (judism) and 16 (like hispanic or most native american cultures).  So if you have reached puberty by then I say you should be declared a man who can have sex with anyone you want.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would keep it at 18.  I had sex way too early (15) with an older guy. I didn’t view it as rape then but I sure as hell do now. Teenagers are not adults in our culture and I’ve heard the same early sexualization stories from dozens of men and women. Unsurprisingly most of us have similar hang ups.

Even where its legal I don’t think older guys should be having sex with teens under 18. Teens can have sex with each other but really, what business does a guy in his 30s or 40s have fucking a boy under 18?  Let kids be kids. 

• Like 1

It’s 16 here in the UK and I think that’s fair. Trying to hold back kids going through puberty any longer than that is just pointless in my opinion, but from my own experience I don’t think teenagers younger than that will have enough life experience to really make a fully informed decision.

I started younger than 16 myself, and although I was a very horny teenager and knew exactly what I was doing (I liked older guys then and still do), looking back I was probably a bit too naive to fully understand the potential consequences. I don’t regret having sex early but i acknowledge it could have ended badly 

There really should be a consistent law across all states and 18 is too high. Most guys are sexually active before then as well. I was leaning to choose to eliminate it unless it involves rape, but you get into those consent issues and a definition of what rape is, so I voted for 13. In Texas I think we got Sex Ed at age 12 but it was really awful and not helpful for the real world. I learned way more from friends and the internet. I was sexually active at 14 with buds and not long after on the internet and aps looking for sex and it was tough to find guys interested. Most were scared because they realized I was under 17, the age of consent in Texas, and Texas has tough laws and aggressive prosecution for underage sex. But there were enough guys who didn’t ask my age or didn’t care but it made things tough. It was a tough time for me mentally and emotionally and if the age were lower I think things would have been easier for me and I wouldn’t have had to cruise parks and bathrooms as much as I did.

15 hours ago, MichiganBottom82 said:

I would keep it at 18.  I had sex way too early (15) with an older guy. I didn’t view it as rape then but I sure as hell do now. Teenagers are not adults in our culture and I’ve heard the same early sexualization stories from dozens of men and women. Unsurprisingly most of us have similar hang ups.

Even where its legal I don’t think older guys should be having sex with teens under 18. Teens can have sex with each other but really, what business does a guy in his 30s or 40s have fucking a boy under 18?  Let kids be kids. 

Man i typed all that and it disappeared into the ether, probably because of automatic censorship on this board.  I got something to say, but apparently I cannot say it here.  LOL  Anyway, what are you doing tonight?  Call or text me. I wanna get something started.

Moderator’s Note: It disappeared because you hit “Report” thinking you were replying. Here is what you typed:

The age of consent in Michigan is 16.  This is a legal fact.  There is a provision in the law, where if one of the participants in the sex act is a "figure of authority" then the minor must be 18 to consent.  This provision was placed in the law, about 15 years ago, in response to a situation where a school bus driver fucked one of the school children.  They were unable to prosecute because the kid was 16 years old.  Now, it's different, but only for the situation where one of the sex participants is an "authority figure".   The federal law however says under 18 is a child and this applies to prno.   So, in Michigan, at least, you can f them at age 16, but don't u dare take a photo or video recording of the act, cuz that is a federal offense.  I'm not a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice.  I'm just an informed citizen.  BTW what you doin tonight?  I'm horney 😜

• 4 months later...
On 11/2/2010 at 9:55 AM, rawTOP said:

Different guys are "ready" for sex with adults at different ages. The laws are imperfect because they need to set a single age for everyone. Plus, the common age of 18 was set decades ago before youth became so sexualized and sexually aware.

So what age would you set and why would you choose the age of consent? Or would you get rid of the age of consent completely and maybe just stiffen penalties for rape when the victim is young. But isn't there some age that's always too young? Personally I don't know - all I know is the current system doesn't work very well.

What is your personal opinion in your beliefs of the age learning sex - tasting cum - leaning from others or parents ?

On 3/18/2013 at 11:19 PM, Ranger Rick said:

18 is fine. I'm not a pedo.

So with a 17 years and 11 months old you're a sick pedo, and on their 18th birthday you're not ?
Thanks, it's all so clear to me now. 🙄

On 11/4/2013 at 12:46 AM, Good Boy said:

Any age is fine. Children can enjoy a loving sexual experience just as much (maybe more) than adults. I'm not talking about banging a 2 year old. Small children can enjoy rubbing and touching. Sex is beautiful. it should be a topic that we are open with publicly and information should flow freely to children so they know that their desires are not sick or disgusting. Rapers, people who use coercion, and people who want to degrade or hurt innocents should be punished,but I know/knew many many boys who would have loved to have a sexual experience with me. I also know that I was close to their parents and that if we were all open about it they could help make the decision if the child was ready for something loving and honest. Teens could use the advise of their parents in a society that is sex positive. too. Broad sweeping laws that set an age of consent for something that is emotional are ridiculous. Individuals are ready for varying degrees of sexuality at different ages.

Hear hear.

On 11/4/2013 at 6:17 PM, whoai said:

Well, why is sex different from other things then? I agree that any age of consent is an arbitrary construct (and 18 is probably an outdated age considering when kids get sexually active these days). However, we don't allow kids to drive, drink, smoke, vote, sign contracts, make medical decisions, etc. Saying a child of, say, 8 should have the right to consent to sexual activity would also imply that that same child would be able to decide whether to take the icky-tasting antibiotic or have the scary surgery. Children don't have the capacity yet to gauge the consequences of their actions. Sex has risks, not just emotional or psychological ones (not that those are not bad enough), but real physical ones as gets discussed ad infinitum in this forum (and then there are things like pregnancy, etc.( Unless you want to somehow test every child or adolescent for psychological and intellectual maturity, we are going to have to have some sort of cutoff age. I'd say something in the 14-16 year range is probably reasonable these days.

Because intimacy, touching and sex are natural.

Your other examples are human inventions where our intellect should be more deciding than our more 'animalistic' or emotional sides.