Syphilis

Tested positive for syphilis back in February and got treatment straight away. They gave me one shot. Went back recently to check my VDRL levels and it was 1.16. The problem is that I got my test in Europe and the doctor there didn’t mention my start levels so I have no idea if it’s going down or not. My doctor here in US said that she would keep me monitored to c if my levels r going down or not. Next follow up is in 6 months. Last time I had syphilis was like 20 years ago. My doctor told me it could be an old infection flaring up again and not necessarily a new infection. I asked the doctor if I was still infectious and she told me I wasn’t I I had received treatment. The problem is that I’m kind of confused by all of this now and worried about having sex again as I don’t want to infect everyone and surely don’t want to be reinfected! Anyone any experience with this? I had some spots on my chest when I was diagnosed which disappeared after bit more than a month.

• Moderators

Syphilis is not very infectious unless you have active lesions. So even if you aren't cured, you probably aren't significantly contagious. If you want to be a fine upstanding citizen you could tell prospective partners that you had it and were treated and still waiting on confirmation of success. 

If you had the spotty rash, you were already stage 2, and my understanding is that you really should have had the three shot series but that one will very likely have been sufficient. So do make sure you get the follow up testing,  but don't worry unduly about it. I think a 1:1 ratio is pretty normal for a while after treatment - it takes substantial time for it to drop back down.

I've had it twice, and done some reading to try and get a good grasp of the biology involved in the different tests, which (as you also may have found) is rather obscure. 

I tested positive for syphilis almost 6 years ago and had it treated with initial test as 1:64. Three month follow up was down to 1:4. I finally had it come back as non reactive recently. Basically, sound like you were re-infected by a guy who had an active infection. 

Syphilis is NOT a laughing matter! It's come up twice with me. Both times I've had it treated with antibiotics. I wish more guys got tested for STDs and received antibiotics for them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Same thing happened to me. There are more and more drug resistant STD's appearing. Keep going back to your doctor till you get numbers that are better.

I had to go back 3 times before I got a treatment that worked.

4 hours ago, bigdick4you said:

I just found out my initial values were 1.28 and after 3 months I’m at 1.16. So don’t know if one shot of penicillin was enough. Sent information off to my dr. Waiting for response...

I believe the standard for a successful cure is a two fold reduction in RPR. So, if your starting RPR was 1:28, 1:8 would be a two fold decrease. However, I'm not sure of how long that two fold decrease is expected to take. 

On 5/9/2018 at 5:22 AM, bigdick4you said:

Tested positive for syphilis back in February and got treatment straight away. They gave me one shot. Went back recently to check my VDRL levels and it was 1.16. The problem is that I got my test in Europe and the doctor there didn’t mention my start levels so I have no idea if it’s going down or not. My doctor here in US said that she would keep me monitored to c if my levels r going down or not. Next follow up is in 6 months. Last time I had syphilis was like 20 years ago. My doctor told me it could be an old infection flaring up again and not necessarily a new infection. I asked the doctor if I was still infectious and she told me I wasn’t I I had received treatment. The problem is that I’m kind of confused by all of this now and worried about having sex again as I don’t want to infect everyone and surely don’t want to be reinfected! Anyone any experience with this? I had some spots on my chest when I was diagnosed which disappeared after bit more than a month.

You are definitely non infectious 24 hours after your penicillin shot, so any sex after that you will not pass it to others. Your VDRL levels though, will take months to come down in non-reactive territory. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 5/9/2018 at 3:22 PM, bigdick4you said:

I just found out my initial values were 1.28 and after 3 months I’m at 1.16. So don’t know if one shot of penicillin was enough. Sent information off to my dr. Waiting for response...

If the value is dropping significantly over time (which it is), the penicillin was enough. The VRDL test does not actually detect the syphilis bacteria nor even your antibodies to it. It actually detects your antibodies to the by-products of the damage to your own cells that is caused by the bacteria. It normally takes many months (6-18 months or even more) for it to drop back to normal, and depending on how strong that immune response was during your infection, it may never go back down to the "unreactive" level.

Guest Upstateguy518
On 5/9/2018 at 5:01 PM, bigdick4you said:

That’s disgusting and disturbing really....

It's a sad reality man. I don't get it at all. I really don't get why you not only would wanna get infected but also spread it around to any of your unsuspecting partners, As most guys don't really tell others that they have STDs.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive had it twice.

As far as the ratio numbers I do not know. I do know that the first time I had it I for about 9 months before it was discovered, and mind you I had no symptoms, none. It had turned into Neurosyphillis which was an absolute night mare. It was treated with a hospital stay and 4 weeks of pic line antibiotics. The second time, also, no symptoms. Went to my HIV Dr with a sore throat and she immediately did a syph test which came back positive, that was treated with 2 weeks of oral antibiotics.  Its a mysterious disease in the sense that it can mask as many different things and go undetected, and if it goes undetected I can kill you. I agree that everyone who is sexually active should get three month screenings. As far as mu advice to you, Id go to an STD clinic that specializes in STD's and explain the situation and go from there. Sadly this shit aint no joke.

• 1 month later...

Alright a few things about syphilis - many doctors don't have a lot of experience with it. To clear up some confusion about syphilis.

Syphilis that has been adequately treated does not flare up again without re-exposure. First line treatment for primary (chance), secondary (rash, lymph swelling, etc.) and early latent (confirmed non-reactive within last 1 year) is one dose of 2.4 million units benzathine penicillin (bicilin) and for late latent (greater than 1 year since last non-reactive) is three doses over 3 weeks of 2.4 million units bicilin. Syphilis is easy to transit on physical contact with intact skin or mucous membranes. It is generally considered non-infectious when symptoms resolve or within 7 days if no symptoms. The RPR drop for adequate treatment depends on the stage of syphilis but if you have an RPR greater than 1:8 after a while then you should be evaluated by a healthcare provider who is knowledgeable about tertiary syphilis. The 1:16 in isolation means nothing.