Typos in hot sex stories (or other similar places)

Guest Cumlaut

I don't get too wrapped around the axle by typos in people's posts. I do, however, get really annoyed when I find an error in one of mine that I can't correct because, for some bizarre reason, the edit option is only available for a very short period of time. The other thing that makes me steam is when auto-correct doesn't like my vocabulary and decides to change the very uncommon word I meant to use, to a much more common and superficially similar word that makes absolutely no sense.

• Upvote 1

It is possible to turn off the auto-correct function. For those in the world of Apple (iOS 13): Settings>General>Keyboards. Auto-correct, predictive word choice, and other typing choices can be set on that screen. 

Misspelled words and odd choices of punctuation don't rattle me —except the use of “discrete” when the writer really wants to say “discreet.” (I gave up fighting that battle decades ago, but I look askance at profiles that contain the error.) Instead, my heart sinks when I’m looking at a block of text that has no punctuation and no paragraph breaks. On the other hand, I practiced law for nearly 30 years, and I was repeatedly flabbergasted by the poor writing skills displayed by other lawyers (including some in my office). Indeed, I often had to deal with documents so poorly written that I wondered how the writer made it out of college, let alone law school. If lawyers can’t write, I can’t be surprised — or distressed —  that many posts contain errors that would make my 8th grade English teacher reach for her smelling salts.

So, yes, some of the writing here requires a bit of effort to understand. But there is plenty of writing on this site that is simply a joy to read (and not just the fiction sections), the writer having put time, effort, and thought into his work. If I have to wade through a story that never saw a paragraph break, I’ll take that as a small price to pay for being able to read the really good stuff.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, BadInBrooklyn said:

I also just discovered a terrible typo in something I posted the other day, but the Breeding Zone Gods won't allow us to edit our old posts. 

6 hours ago, blackrobe said:

I don't get too wrapped around the axle by typos in people's posts. I do, however, get really annoyed when I find an error in one of mine that I can't correct because, for some bizarre reason, the edit option is only available for a very short period of time. 

Moderator’s Note: Report the post and say what needs fixing. Someone on staff will edit your post. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pozlover1 said:

The discreet thing should go bye bye. One word would suffice for both definitions in today’s simplified world. You want proof? It’s “discretion” not “discreetion”. Now start on secreting fluids and secreting weapons. 

Nonsense. That’s like saying their should suffice for they’re and there as well.

In terms of discreet, if I say:

A gentleman may use a word with two discreet meanings

is a very different sentence than

A gentleman may use a word with two discrete meanings.

Part of our problem in “today’s simplified world” is that we seem more willing to dumb everything down for the idiots rather than educating them.

Smart is sexy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ErosWired said:

Part of our problem in “today’s simplified world” is that we seem more willing to dumb everything down for the idiots rather than educating them.

Smart is sexy

YES!  THIS.  EXACTLY.  THANK YOU!  
It’s disheartening and demoralizing to spend so much time choosing precisely the right words to express your thoughts and get a blank stare or “???” in response.  Smart IS sexy.  Functionally illiterate and proudly ignorant are not.

• Like 3

Here's one I have a hard time accepting. A story pops up, and I decide to give it a try. I'm greeted with a wall of text, like the author didn't have access to an "Enter" or "Return" button to properly space paragraphs. I can't mentally separate the segments, and it becomes hard to read. Fortunately, I can choose to quit the story with the click of a button.

Mister Gorbechav, tear down this wall of text!

• Upvote 1

English is so complicated and illogical it is in danger of being replaced with pidgin or Spanglish or, most likely, Chinese with German wordcombinationstructure. 
English has evolved pretty well, despite constant efforts by academics to keep the status all quo’ed and shit