How frequently do you STI test?

How frequently do you STI test?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. For guys who test for STIs regularly and frequently, how often do you get tested?

• Every 1 or 2 weeks
    • Every month
    • Every 2 months
    • Every 3 months
    • Every 6 months
    • Some other regular frequency

Thirty  years ago after several episodes of STIs my doctor recommended I get regular 4 monthly STI tests, after a couple of years he suggested twice yearly was sufficient. In those days I went to a hospital Sexual health clinic. In the last 5 years on PrEP I’ve been getting regular 3 month tests, just through a local medical lab on prescription. However, recently my circumstances changed with more opportunities for casual sex increasing. I now usually go to the sauna once a week, the cruise club once or twice a week, have app hookups ever couple of weeks and a regular fuck buddy who usually breeds me on a Friday. I reckon my risk of STIs has gone up 6 fold. Accordingly, I have had my doctor change my lab prescription to get monthly STI tests. I was especially concerned to limit the exposure to my fuck buddy. I believe most active gay guys in my city are on PrEP and a mandatory 3 month testing regime, which is good, or at least I assume they are given nearly all encounters are raw. I wondered how often other guys who are getting regular tests are doing them.

• Thanks 1

It is a joy to read about such a rational, practical, and considerate approach, @BB4fking. Clearly you care about your health and the health of others.

I too go monthly. My PrEP provider has entered standing laboratory orders that would let me go as often as every 3 weeks.

Anyone who whines that PrEP doesn't protect against STIs other than HIV is missing a key point: the obligation to get STI tests every 3 months (if one's PrEP provider is diligent and follows the CDC guidelines) leads to the detection and treatment of many asymptomatic STIs.

Many Poz guys also get regular STI testing.

If only frequent, regular STI testing could also become a norm among HIV-negative people who are not on PrEP!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ohmalewhore said:

Wow, never really thought about STIs. Probably should, but so far I'm clean and my Pimp Daddy likes it that way, which is why he was careful about who he introduced me to.

You're clean? You mean you take showers regularly?

"Clean" is an offensive term when used to mean "do not currently have an STI". It by its nature implies that anyone who does have an STI is "dirty".

Lastly, if you "never really thought about STIs" then don't be so damned sure you're "clean" (to use your word). Many STI's do not present symptoms though they can be detected with lab tests and treated, but only if you actually bother to check for them. Assuming you're "clean" because someone else claims to be "careful about who he introduce you to" is an excellent recipe for getting an STI that progresses pretty damned far.

• Like 2

My PrEP clinic Doc is very open and honest and insists on every 3 months.  I agree with his thinking.  In fact, I was dating a guy who turned out to be a dick, and sure enough, he gave me an STD... my test caught it and he had things under control right away.  So, it isn't just about PrEP.... I have learned to pay attention to the 'whole treatment'.  I'm honestly glad this is his request of us.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PG1961Canada said:

I was dating a guy who turned out to be a dick, and sure enough, he gave me an STD

I don't doubt that he was a dick, but unless the two of you agreed to absolute monogamy and tested negative for STIs a week or two after reaching that agreement, he wasn't a dick because he gave you an STI.

If we are sexually active to any extent, we are bound to get STIs occasionally. If we have multiple partners during the same interval of time or in succession, we are bound to transmit STIs occasionally.

By testing frequently, disclosing infections to partners we know, abstaining from sex during treatment, and most of all, by appreciating partners who disclose infections to us and who don't blame or get upset when we disclose infections to them, we can reduce (but never completely eliminate) STI transmission.

Holding sex partners harmless when they disclose STIs is as important as the act of testing, itself.

If I've had multiple sex partners between my monthly tests, it is very rare for me to get all the data needed to play armchair epidemiologist and pinpoint the source of an infection. Do I have a way to contact all of my partners for the month? Will they all get tested? Will they all share the results with me? What if any of my partners had other sexual partners after me? Will I have a negative result for everyone I fucked before the suspect partner? Except when absolute monogamy has been agreed to, blame is pointless.

A guy who tells me he's had an STI, or who keeps talking with me after I tell him I've had one, makes a very reliable fuck.

15 hours ago, fskn said:

I don't doubt that he was a dick, but unless the two of you agreed to absolute monogamy and tested negative for STIs a week or two after reaching that agreement, he wasn't a dick because he gave you an STI.

Except when absolute monogamy has been agreed to, blame is pointless.

A guy who tells me he's had an STI, or who keeps talking with me after I tell him I've had one, makes a very reliable fuck.

Yup.  We did agree. We did test. 

Poor judgment on my part.  I trusted him.  Sometimes we make mistakes.

Not so much when you agree to monogamy and then don't bother.  That is the 'dick' part.... I'd rather someone say that they want to be 'open relationship' and everyone can decide testing cycles.  It's the lying part that made him a dick - in my eyes.

And.... I absolutely agree that if a partner reaches out for a 'heads up'... that is a reliable fuck indeed.  That's a good buddy to have around.

Cheers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PG1961Canada said:

Yup.  We did agree. We did test. 

[...]

Not so much when you agree to monogamy and then don't bother.  That is the 'dick' part.... I'd rather someone say that they want to be 'open relationship' and everyone can decide testing cycles.  It's the lying part that made him a dick - in my eyes.

I'm sorry that that happened to you.

I wish more people knew that they don't have to lie, and can still have satisfying, if open and potentially harder to negotiate, relationships.

Clearly, it is this guy's loss, for not having been honest with you.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 7:18 PM, BootmanLA said:

You're clean? You mean you take showers regularly?

"Clean" is an offensive term when used to mean "do not currently have an STI". It by its nature implies that anyone who does have an STI is "dirty".

Lastly, if you "never really thought about STIs" then don't be so damned sure you're "clean" (to use your word). Many STI's do not present symptoms though they can be detected with lab tests and treated, but only if you actually bother to check for them. Assuming you're "clean" because someone else claims to be "careful about who he introduce you to" is an excellent recipe for getting an STI that progresses pretty damned far.

I hate when someone asks me if i am clean....I tell them yep I took a shower this morning and cleaned out....I agree its very offensive to associate the word dirty with someone who is hiv+.....Your right about the STI's they dont show up until you have done blood work so dont assume that just because your are hiv- you are "clean"...I go to get tested every 6 months.

2 hours ago, Cubbtm4poz said:

I hate when someone asks me if i am clean....I tell them yep I took a shower this morning and cleaned out....I agree its very offensive to associate the word dirty with someone who is hiv+.....Your right about the STI's they dont show up until you have done blood work so dont assume that just because your are hiv- you are "clean"...I go to get tested every 6 months.

I hate that too.  Just had that conversation with someone last night in fact.  But, expecting people to use or not use certain words is futile.  There will come a time for this guy and I to have that conversation; in person; when we can calmly and effectively discuss the history and background.  I decided to roll with his questions; give him some reliable foundation information about STI's, PrEP and testing (none of which he knew).  We can work on the PC part later...