I have kaiser and getting a doctor to give me a shot has been a pain.   I was finally able to schedule an appointment through ca dept of public health.  They mostly have appointments only in the am when I'm working, but I managed to snag a day off for one.  

Doesn't look fun to get this.  Please find a way to get your shots and or boosters if they are released!  We all want to play as safely as possible!

12 hours ago, fuckholedc said:

Mpox appears to be resurging (slightly) although symptoms also appear to be attenuated in those vaccinated.   The issue is that the resurgence is being seen in those previously vaccinated and in one case of a person who already had mpox and recovered.

One of a few articles, this one beginning with a resurgence in Chicago but fears of a broader resurgence internationally over the summer.

[think before following links] [think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.nbcnews.com/health/mens-health/rise-mpox-cases-chicago-raises-concern-possible-summer-spread-rcna83315

Not surprised by this at all.

It appears most of the recent cases are in those who were vaccinated and/or only received one dose.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Being reported by  Monkeypoxtally on twitter: 

June 7: Two confirmed cases of Mpox detected in Sri Lanka. First instance since late 2022. The cases were among females ( mother & daughter).

June 9: Chicago records 6 additional MPOX cases this week for a total of 36 cases since Mid April

June 9: BREAKING: Minnesota reports the first 2 cases of Mpox since November 2022.

June 7: A four-year old boy tested positive for mpox in Taiwan. This is the first under age case reported in Taiwan.

June 6: Two MPOX cases detected in Beijing. China MPOX cases are ramping up where they were completely absent in 2022.

June 5: Milwaukee records 1st mpox case in nearly 3 months.

June 2: 2 new MPOX cases detected in NJ, first time since February.

June 1: The number of weekly reported Mpox cases globally has increased by 88%. May 15-May 21 - 51 cases May 22-May 28 - 96 cases

May 29: Mpox reinfection reported in Madrid and Barcelona ahead of pride month. [think before following links] https://elpais.com/sociedad/2023-05-27/diagnosticados-por-segunda-vez-de-la-viruela-del-mono-dos-pacientes-en-madrid-y-barcelona.html

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my 1st dose of mpox vaccine.  I hadnt had it before for two reasons

1. I wasnt really socializing too much because of covid precautions (been expanding a little and want to attend folsom, so nows the time to get it)

2. Kaiser refused to give it to me.  I asked and demanded with proof of expanded coverage, and my doctor flat out said that I dont qualify.  Decided to go through state department of health.  They even gave me a runaround.  Wanted to know if I was on prep (no, in process waiting for labs) or if I had a recent std (also no, been monogomous since covid and partner to my knowledge has been faithful to that so little critters have wormed their way into me).   Said I wouldnt qualify if I didnt have those two things.  I showed her the CA dph qualifications... still no.   I actually asked to talk to the nurse and she finally was like "oh yeah, lets get you immunized."   

Just a daily reminder to fiercely advocate for yourself.  No one else will.

• rawTOP unpinned this topic
  • 7 months later...
  • Moderators

I had missed this, but it's relevant to the subject.

Apparently a 2022 epidemiology study showed that modification of behavior in at-risk groups was probably the main force interrupting the outbreak of Mpox, and that vaccination only had a small effect.

From an article published in Cell:

The World Health Organization declared mpox a public health emergency of international concern in July 2022. To investigate global mpox transmission and population-level changes associated with controlling spread, we built phylogeographic and phylodynamic models to analyze MPXV genomes from five global regions together with air traffic and epidemiological data. Our models reveal community transmission prior to detection, changes in case reporting throughout the epidemic, and a large degree of transmission heterogeneity...

We find that mpox transmission in North America began declining before more than 10% of high-risk individuals in the USA had vaccine-induced immunity.

[emphasis mine]

• Like 1