Banned words?

LaLatin

• Moderators

The basic rules of the site are in this topic in the General forum:

The specific answer to your question is that there isn't a list of them - they are programmed into the system, which automatically replaces them in new posts. If you post something and your text has been replaced with [banned word], then that was one of them. If you read your newly-created post and see this, you can edit it (for about the first 10 minutes) to remove the offending sentence or phrase. Please DO NOT try to spoof the filters. That's specifically an infraction, and a serious one. The words are banned for good reasons.

To me, the blanket banning of words is the most crass censorship. Don't get me wrong, I understand why you do it, but there are stories and experiences which cannot be discussed as a result. I myself have abandoned a story I have been writing because to fully express it would need the use of a (potentially) 'banned word'. Here, very much, context is very important. Speech patterns and usage are very different across time and place and simply saying 'you can't use that word' stifles debate, creativity and development/education.

A system where a post containing a contentious word was moderated, with input from the poster via private message and some kind of explicit context ('this is a story from 1970s England and this character would self describe as this',) would be far better, in my opinion.

And there must be a list, you simply choose not to make it available, meaning we cannot avoid using them unless we notice the automatic censorship in time.

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Monorchid, I completely understand your point of view, and I personally agree with your assessment of the drawbacks of the existing system. I think part of the problem is that the underlying software is fairly old and the size and complexity of the site are pushing its flexibility pretty hard. Also, BZ is built and maintained by a very small number of people. Both of those factors limit the possibilities as to how a goal can be accomplished.

All that said, the number of words that trigger the automatic editors and filters is actually very small (single digits, I believe), and they're specific to subjects that are actually illegal (here in the States), with the intention that it never go live on the site at all. This avoids the temporary violation of the law that would otherwise occur between the time something is posted and the time it's reported and moderated. So, if you have a few words that you feel you really need to use for a story other other post, it's fine to message a moderator and see if we think they'd be a problem. Alternatively, you can post the story with the words in it, and if the filters change it on you, come up with a different way to express it and edit accordingly (or if the time window has ended, have a moderator do that). I do understand the failing of the latter approach as far as time invested if the vocabulary in question is crucial to the effect that you, as the author, are creating.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have only one minor comment re: banned words.  That being, usually when I read a post and see (banned word) in the text, I almost automatically try to figure out what it is. 

And I can't. 

I think of every bad word I can come up with, and none of them fit the phrasing of that particular sentance.  It's not like I'm inexperienced at it - I was in the publishing business for decades.  Bad spelling literally leaps off the page at me.  Awkward phrasing does too - but then, not every guy was/is in the wordsmithing business either.  My eyes have an "auto-forgive" setting that's always in use unless the errors are just too egregious to let slip by.  Even then, my observance is so oblique, it may be easily missed.  I'm sure the last one was a week or so ago. 

So maybe the banned word isn't a "bad" word?  Maybe it has nothing to do with vulgarity, crassness?  Regrettable spelling or fallacious thought-leading certainly isn't banned (nor should it be - this isn't grammar school, thank Whatever).  

Maybe if we had some kind of hint from our estimable Leaders we could avoid the dread banned words or phrases.  

• Moderators

Moderator's Note: As per direct instructions from the admin, large penalties are given for working around the filters to use a word he has chosen to ban the usage of because that demonstrates that you both knew a word was on the list and chose to evade the system thereby knowingly and willfully violating the rules of the forum. Several posts have been hidden because of this. 

• Thanks 1

When I first joined here I found it difficult to post because what naturally came out of my mouth might result in an infraction.   So I ended up being too wordy and not making my point clear,  side stepping language that might normally  get a moderator's attention.  I've felt the need to step back and not participate because I wanted at least to have access to the Forum.  It's given me information on health issues, legal issues, where normally I would not have a reference point, and fellow BZ members have been nice enough to respond and share their knowledge or personal experiences.  

I'm learning less is more, and not to take some postings personally.  I have been called out once or twice, but it wasn't the end of the world and I am still here today.

For all those "newbies" out there I would say let your voice be heard, you may not like the responses, but follow the rules of the Forum.  If you have question, or if you are unsure as to why something happened to your post, drop the moderator  a line.  It's worth making a mistake here and there because in the long run the Forum has a lot to offer.

2 hours ago, ellentonboy said:

For all those "newbies" out there I would say let your voice be heard, you may not like the responses, but follow the rules of the Forum.  If you have question, or if you are unsure as to why something happened to your post, drop the moderator  a line.  It's worth making a mistake here and there because in the long run the Forum has a lot to offer.

Agreed, ellentonboy.  I've asked them questions several times, and they're always clear and kind in their responses.  I've read the rules several times, and do my best to stay in my lane. 

Thanks for the good advice.

On 8/7/2022 at 6:09 PM, viking8x6 said:

The basic rules of the site are in this topic in the General forum:

The specific answer to your question is that there isn't a list of them - they are programmed into the system, which automatically replaces them in new posts. If you post something and your text has been replaced with [banned word], then that was one of them. If you read your newly-created post and see this, you can edit it (for about the first 10 minutes) to remove the offending sentence or phrase. Please DO NOT try to spoof the filters. That's specifically an infraction, and a serious one. The words are banned for good reasons.

What's the reason that one of the words (name actually) gets changed to that of Mrs. (Sarah) Palin?
To my knowledge it is not illegal - in any part of the US - to discuss Christian religious topics or adhere a somewhat less-conventional religion. 

As a jab at mrs. Palin and the Tea Party the change is much appreciated btw. Changing her name to the one I'm referring to, might (I'm not saying it us, just that it might..) be closer to the truth. 😉 

Edited by Guest

On 8/7/2022 at 5:05 PM, viking8x6 said:

@Monorchid, I completely understand your point of view, and I personally agree with your assessment of the drawbacks of the existing system. I think part of the problem is that the underlying software is fairly old and the size and complexity of the site are pushing its flexibility pretty hard. Also, BZ is built and maintained by a very small number of people. Both of those factors limit the possibilities as to how a goal can be accomplished.

All that said, the number of words that trigger the automatic editors and filters is actually very small (single digits, I believe), and they're specific to subjects that are actually illegal (here in the States), with the intention that it never go live on the site at all. This avoids the temporary violation of the law that would otherwise occur between the time something is posted and the time it's reported and moderated. So, if you have a few words that you feel you really need to use for a story other other post, it's fine to message a moderator and see if we think they'd be a problem. Alternatively, you can post the story with the words in it, and if the filters change it on you, come up with a different way to express it and edit accordingly (or if the time window has ended, have a moderator do that). I do understand the failing of the latter approach as far as time invested if the vocabulary in question is crucial to the effect that you, as the author, are creating.

This is very interesting and understandable if it were just illegal words. But I’ve posted and just simply listed the name of another chat site used by many on here and that came up as a banned word. 
But regardless I try to stay within the rules even though they are vague. 

5 hours ago, BareLover666 said:

might (I'm not saying it us, just that it might..) be closer to the truth. 😉 

LOL .... Anyone who's actually heard the (human) Mrs. Palin knows how breathtakingly vapid, arrogant, intellectually limited, vain-without-reason-to-be, dull and plain old stupid that foul creature is.  I doubt (is "the evil one" ok?) would allow any association with her, since it would only diminish that entity's presumed reputation.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bimarried001 said:

This is very interesting and understandable if it were just illegal words. But I’ve posted and just simply listed the name of another chat site used by many on here and that came up as a banned word. 
But regardless I try to stay within the rules even though they are vague. 

All I really want to [banned word] say is [banned word], [banned word], and even more so that [banned word] drives me [banned word]. And I've also been around [banned word] and surprised it really was banned. If they keep citing [banned word], [banned word], [banned word], and even [banned word], I may just need to go and [banned word] myself. 🤣😅

(Do this enough times, it makes for an interesting game of MadLibs)
(No, I didn't hit on every banned word on BZ, I'd be surprised if I knew that many. It's sarcasm.)

I find this subject so funny! We can post about doing all kinds of nasty and bad things but wow say a wrong word and its censored..🤣

I hate i cant leave reactions after the 10 I'm allowed in a day and there is so many stories i like to give the author a like!

I have a question:

May we equate the banned words (and their substitutions) with actual people to be banned?

For instance, the real, actual vapid person whose foul name appears in certain threads on BZ in place of an imaginary, wicked, hellish invention of Organized Religion, is actually running for Governor of the State of Alaska.  

Our brothers in Alaska need to be warned not to vote for Madame X (no connection to the famed Cadillac 16 of the same name) whose connection to the magical contrivance referenced directly above is clear and obvious.  Equally clear and obvious is the fact that her name appears in lieu of the actual invention of the universal enemy, O.R. 

If the answer is yes, then Mrs. Palin is forever banned to stay in the netherworld, and bother us no more.  Some other disgustment will be needed to substitute for the forbidden allegorical contrivance. 

Suggestions, anyone ???  

• Upvote 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.