Have you ever had your prostate checked?

Sharp-edge

I checked a patient (it was my first time to do that) for prostate hyperplasia. Nothing too scientific about it, you just put your index finger (with a glove of course) and you pulpate his prostate. You try to feel whether it's enlarged or hard (it should be kinda soft). Based on the instructor's instructions (that sounds weird) you put your finger looking away from the prostate and then you rotate it while you're inside because that way it is more convenient from the patient. Plus, you use a lube that contains lidocaine so as to be even more comfortable.

As a gay guy who is versatile, my fingers have examined such areas lots of times so it was "natural". What was weird is that I did it as a professional so I felt shy/weird about it. Plus I think because most doctors tend to be straight (I wouldn't believe that urologists are 50-50) maybe the think that having a finger (half its length) in your anus must be super painful, but really it's not.

Another thing is that I could check my bf's prostate which I find be to be caring. Have u ever had that exam performed on u? What where your feelings? Was it  awkward? 

• Like 3

Yes, hundreds of times... but not by a professional. 

Joking aside. 

A couple of times by a doctor, males each time.  Emotionally, i cannot disconnect from the fact that it's a guy penetrating me. Each time i've ended up grunting and trying to tighten vs being receptive so it won't be obvious that i like it and end up making him feel awkward. 

i've written before about an experience i had when i was younger and presumed straight (i was married to a woman). i was getting checked for STD and the doctor explained He had to massage my prostate to get an accurate UA. He had me pull my jeans down around my ankles and bend over the exam table and He stayed in there a long time and had me dripping.  i've never shaken the feeling that He finger fucked me and was enjoying what He was doing, definitely 'examined' my prostate. 

Edited by tallslenderguy
  • Haha 1

I've had mine checked and even had a biopsy, which revealed that I had chronic prostatitis but no cancer. From the moment I turned 50, I had been having high PSA tests come back only to go thru a whole series of tests and exams and follow ups and more blood work, etc., only to find out I'm probably one of the few who has naturally higher than average PSA numbers. There is also a lot of controversy about PSA testing because although there is some correlation between PSA and prostate cancer, the likelihood of a false positive is almost the same as a false negative using PSA alone. I was also angry to later find out that the biopsy would lead to scar tissue in my prostate, which would lead later doctors to believe they were "detecting" a potential cancer only to have it ruled out yet again. Nobody told me this would be the case. Had I known then, I wouldn't have had the first biopsy since there weren't enough signs at that point for a strong indication of prostate cancer, but now after the biopsy, every doctor I've seen tells me he feels something irregular, which just lead to more unnecessary testing only to find out again that there's nothing there. My recommendation is that if you're in this situation, run every possible test short of a biopsy, including a specialized prostate MRI and a prostate ultrasound before you opt for the biopsy. Some doctors won't do the MRI because they feel it is "inconclusive" but prostate MRI's have come a long way so find a medical center that uses the advanced technology. My last MRI said that there were no conclusive signs of cancer but more likely was just the scar tissue. I'd try to make another biopsy a last resort, because each time just creates more scar tissue.

The whole situation was frustrating. Had the initial doctor done a prostate ultrasound he would have likely spotted the chronic prostatitis. The other recommendation I have is that if you don't like your urologist, find another one. I tend to find that those that specialize in surgery are quick to jump to a biopsy, where those who are not surgeons take a more conservative approach.

• Thanks 1

Sure I have.  And, just got a reminder in the mail from the insurance co.  It's been a number of years since the last one, so - it's 'grin-and-bear-it' time again. 

What I don't get though, is this little dancing asshole box on tv, with the voice-over giving all the disclaimers.  It is clearly said that "false positives and negatives have occurred".  So why the fuck bother with it in the first place?  If it's unreliable, and the dancing box says it is, w.t.f. ??? 

I'll just go to the internist and get it done.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

What I don't get though, is this little dancing asshole box on tv, with the voice-over giving all the disclaimers.  It is clearly said that "false positives and negatives have occurred".  So why the fuck bother with it in the first place?  If it's unreliable, and the dancing box says it is, w.t.f. ??? 

My Doc is with you on this.  He told me to avoid using that "dancing box."  They are getting a bunch of false readings--and are really concerned about the false negatives.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

Sure I have.  And, just got a reminder in the mail from the insurance co.  It's been a number of years since the last one, so - it's 'grin-and-bear-it' time again. 

I'll just go to the internist and get it done.  

"Although PSA testing can help catch prostate cancer at an early stage, having an elevated PSA (generally considered more than 4 ng/ml) doesn’t necessarily mean that a man has cancer. Noncancerous conditions, including benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or an enlarged prostate, and prostatitis, can raise PSA levels. In fact, studies have shown that about 70% to 80% of men with an elevated PSA who have a biopsy do not have cancer. However, many men undergo an ultrasound and prostate biopsy, to be certain.

Conversely, the PSA test doesn’t detect all cancers. About 20% of men who have cancer also have a normal PSA (less than 4 ng/ml), so the test may give some men a false sense of security. For this reason, some experts take a man’s age into account when considering a PSA level. And most doctors observe how a man’s PSA level changes over time, a measure called PSA velocity, rather than using it as a one-time indicator. PSA scores tend to rise more rapidly in men with cancer than in those with BPH, for example.

Some doctors also measure the level of free PSA. The PSA protein circulates in the blood in two forms: bound to other proteins or unbound (free). Several studies suggest that men with elevated PSA levels and a very low percentage of free PSA are more likely to have prostate cancer than a benign condition. Knowing your free PSA level won’t give you a definitive answer about cancer, but it may be useful when considering whether a biopsy is an appropriate next step."

[think before following links] https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-psa-reliable-20110327214

This too for those interested:  [think before following links] https://nutritionfacts.org/video/treating-advanced-prostate-cancer-with-diet-part-1/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, tallslenderguy said:

"Although PSA testing can help catch prostate cancer at an early stage, having an elevated PSA (generally considered more than 4 ng/ml) doesn’t necessarily mean that a man has cancer. Noncancerous conditions, including benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or an enlarged prostate, and prostatitis, can raise PSA levels. In fact, studies have shown that about 70% to 80% of men with an elevated PSA who have a biopsy do not have cancer. However, many men undergo an ultrasound and prostate biopsy, to be certain.

Conversely, the PSA test doesn’t detect all cancers. About 20% of men who have cancer also have a normal PSA (less than 4 ng/ml), so the test may give some men a false sense of security. For this reason, some experts take a man’s age into account when considering a PSA level. And most doctors observe how a man’s PSA level changes over time, a measure called PSA velocity, rather than using it as a one-time indicator. PSA scores tend to rise more rapidly in men with cancer than in those with BPH, for example.

Some doctors also measure the level of free PSA. The PSA protein circulates in the blood in two forms: bound to other proteins or unbound (free). Several studies suggest that men with elevated PSA levels and a very low percentage of free PSA are more likely to have prostate cancer than a benign condition. Knowing your free PSA level won’t give you a definitive answer about cancer, but it may be useful when considering whether a biopsy is an appropriate next step."

[think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-psa-reliable-20110327214

This too for those interested:  [think before following links] [think before following links] https://nutritionfacts.org/video/treating-advanced-prostate-cancer-with-diet-part-1/

My husband was diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer (Gleason score of 9), an old friend just got diagnosed and treated this year for a slightly less aggressive PC (Gleason 8), and a newer friend just got diagnosed with PC last month (Gleason 8). They all had routine PSA tests that were abnormally high, so it's worth paying attention to.

Considering 1 in 2 men will get prostate cancer in their lifetime, it feels to me like the unlucky 50% are all in my circle.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Close2MyBro said:

I've had mine checked and even had a biopsy, which revealed that I had chronic prostatitis but no cancer. From the moment I turned 50, I had been having high PSA tests come back only to go thru a whole series of tests and exams and follow ups and more blood work, etc., only to find out I'm probably one of the few who has naturally higher than average PSA numbers. There is also a lot of controversy about PSA testing because although there is some correlation between PSA and prostate cancer, the likelihood of a false positive is almost the same as a false negative using PSA alone. I was also angry to later find out that the biopsy would lead to scar tissue in my prostate, which would lead later doctors to believe they were "detecting" a potential cancer only to have it ruled out yet again. Nobody told me this would be the case. Had I known then, I wouldn't have had the first biopsy since there weren't enough signs at that point for a strong indication of prostate cancer, but now after the biopsy, every doctor I've seen tells me he feels something irregular, which just lead to more unnecessary testing only to find out again that there's nothing there. My recommendation is that if you're in this situation, run every possible test short of a biopsy, including a specialized prostate MRI and a prostate ultrasound before you opt for the biopsy. Some doctors won't do the MRI because they feel it is "inconclusive" but prostate MRI's have come a long way so find a medical center that uses the advanced technology. My last MRI said that there were no conclusive signs of cancer but more likely was just the scar tissue. I'd try to make another biopsy a last resort, because each time just creates more scar tissue.

The whole situation was frustrating. Had the initial doctor done a prostate ultrasound he would have likely spotted the chronic prostatitis. The other recommendation I have is that if you don't like your urologist, find another one. I tend to find that those that specialize in surgery are quick to jump to a biopsy, where those who are not surgeons take a more conservative approach.

When digitally checking, my gay Doc has said, “you are all lubed up and ready to go!”

That aside, my PSA numbers are usually high.  Many things can effect that number including ejaculating within 24 hours of the blood draw.  My numbers have gone as high as 7.5.  My Doctor turned me over to a Urologist, also gay, who had me get an MRI.  Turns out, not surprising, that I have BPH.  For those of you that have it, you know what a frustrating thing peeing is, and not in a good way.  You either can’t pee easily, or you have to pee immediatel and often.  I take medicine that helps reduce the prostate to help pee, but there have been issues.  My father had prostate cancer, so I am at high risk.  Please get your prostate checked often!

• Haha 1

As its name suggests, PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) is prostate specific! So it will increase in most prostate pathologies that include but are not limited to cancer. Even pulpating the prostate can increase its serum levels. Low PSA levels also don't exclude the possibility of prostate cancer.

About examining prostates, I just want to make it as comfortable as possible. Especially for old str8 guys that can be super disturbing.

• Like 1

I've been checked medically due to experiencing pain in my prostate area. Doc was quite rude towards me asking how I knew it was my prostate that was painful as i quote "I'm a doctorand wouldn't knowif it was my prostate", i felt uncomfortable and embarrassed about answering that as a gay man i knew where my prostate was . He did the examination which was fairly painful and diagnosed with prostatitis, some antibiotics and it claimed it down.

I urge all men to regularly have their prostate checked from early 20's onwards.