DoxyPEP being rolled out in San Franciso

(based in north England here) i asked at my clinic a few times about DoxyPeP and they say they won't roll it out in the UK because they are concerned that certain infections will evolve to be resilient to doxycycline, and that's the main drug they use to treat them.

I asked my HIV doctor here (I'm based in Europe) about this. He said the decision whether to promote the use of DoxyPEP is still being researched and it may take time for it to become as widespread as PrEP is now. He also said that even if it does gain more acceptance here, it is something that, for now, should only be used by people who have something like 75 or more partners. In other words, this is for hardcore sluts. I too share the concerns raised above that we could be creating a bigger problem if widespread use leads to antibiotic resistance. 

22 hours ago, Nay80 said:

(based in north England here) i asked at my clinic a few times about DoxyPeP and they say they won't roll it out in the UK because they are concerned that certain infections will evolve to be resilient to doxycycline, and that's the main drug they use to treat them.

I'm not sure about the US or the rest of Europe, but in the UK you can get doxycycline dirt cheap from online pharmacies if you buy it as "malaria prophylaxis". 

On 7/29/2023 at 1:48 PM, holefucker said:

I'm not sure about the US or the rest of Europe, but in the UK you can get doxycycline dirt cheap from online pharmacies if you buy it as "malaria prophylaxis". 

I'm aware of this, but it's free from the clinic so why would i pay?

plus i would be cautious of taking any antibiotic when i dont need to, in case it makes any future infection resilient to said antibiotic and harder to treat (speaking with experience of an infection that took months to clear and ended up with horrible complications that affect me still to this day)

but if it's okd by doctors over here to take it as doxypep to prevent infection, then sure, id take it for that

On 7/28/2023 at 8:07 AM, ErosWired said:

And, yes, ideally, if the prophylaxis is effective, infection should be stopped at the root. Ideally. If. Except there are simply going to be times when it isn’t 100% effective, and will instead leave hardy survivors to procreate hardier strains.

And this is why doctors and pharmacists will tell you: when you are prescribed antibiotics, take EVERY dose, even if you're feeling better half or three-quarters of the way through. It's not going to prevent resistant strains of whatever bacterium you're infected with from developing, but it's going to reduce the chances, significantly. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Apparently this is a relatively new drug that acts as morning after pill (I think?) for exposure to the common stis such as gono, chlamydia and syphilis, but I really haven't heard too much or know anybody who takes it.

Is anybody here really on it? And does it work? Tbh this is really the only place I have heard it talked about.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Guest50 said:

Apparently this is a relatively new drug that acts as morning after pill (I think?) for exposure to the common stis such as gono, chlamydia and syphilis, but I really haven't heard too much or know anybody who takes it.

Is anybody here really on it? And does it work? Tbh this is really the only place I have heard it talked about.

I have a Rx for it - mainly because I'm concerned about syphilis.

The hard part is deciding whether to take it on a particular occasion. If I'm just playing with one person who is known to me (FB or what have you) I generally don't, as I trust those people to tell me if they've been whoring around (or I know that they generally do or don't). If I go out to a club or bookstore and have many partners, I take it.

It's an old drug (doxycycline) that actually used to be the front-line treatment for chlamydia about 30 or 40 years ago.

There's more information in the topic above (into which your question has been merged), including links to info on how well it works.

• Moderators

You can certainly take it as DoxyPrEP - it works whether you know for sure that you've been exposed, or simply know that it's likely in a given situation. I took mine last week when I was headed to a little orgy that a FB of mine was hosting, where I knew we'd be inviting strangers to a hotel room and I'd be crossing paths with whatever 4-6 of them had.

But you don't want to be taking doxycycline all the time. That is just an invitation for antibiotic resistance to develop in whatever bacteria you happen to be hosting. Also, it's hell on your digestive bacteria.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, viking8x6 said:

I have a Rx for it - mainly because I'm concerned about syphilis.

The hard part is deciding whether to take it on a particular occasion. If I'm just playing with one person who is known to me (FB or what have you) I generally don't, as I trust those people to tell me if they've been whoring around (or I know that they generally do or don't). If I go out to a club or bookstore and have many partners, I take it.

It's an old drug (doxycycline) that actually used to be the front-line treatment for chlamydia about 30 or 40 years ago.

There's more information in the topic above (into which your question has been merged), including links to info on how well it works.

I have an RX as well, also because of concerns related to syphilis drug shortages.

1 hour ago, viking8x6 said:

Short for "prescription"

Good reminder to folks!

"Rx" is derived from the Latin "recipere" - the verb meaning "to take".  If you still get any paper prescriptions, you may see "Rx" pre-printed on the prescription pad, and the doctor adds the name of the drug, the dosage, and how often it should be taken, sometimes along with the designation "PRN", which is short for the Latin "pro re nata", or "as the thing is needed".

Things like antibiotics don't get prescribed "PRN", but drugs that relieve symptoms (like pain meds, gastro meds, etc.) often are - they'll have a limit suggested like "every 4-6 hours" but then add "as needed" - so you don't have to take the pain med if you don't need it.