Where to retire?

Great thread. My strategy is simple: stay in my condo in Western Europe. When winter rolls around, head to Fort Lauderdale and Palm Springs. I am currently on a 11 week tour that started in Berlin, where I got lots of cock. I just spent time in Fort Lauderdale, where the men were also very generous with their cum. Now headed to Palm Springs for 3 weeks followed by another 3 weeks in Fort Lauderdale. Gran Canaria would be closer, but having been there a couple of times, it hasn't really appealed to me. I will give it one more chance though, maybe staying someplace a bit more removed from the gay scene. There is a lot of cock to be had from local guys who are closeted and don't want to be caught dead anywhere near the gay scene. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 7:10 PM, RawUK said:

That has been my dream for years, but now of course not so easy to achieve, reciprocal healthcare being one, as now you would need to purchase insurance to cover that, a visa for stays longer than 90 days would also be needed, leading to applying for residency. I also believe, but may be wrong, that you would need an annual income of EUR26,000 to retire there to pass all the checks (the figure changes), whereas before Brexit you wouldn't. 90 days every winter could be a good compromise, however. I'm still hoping @NLbear will ask me to marry him so I can get a Dutch passport, and then we could both move there! 😉  How about it @NLbear we could both spend our retirements going out cruising together! 🙂 

Having just spent a month there, @RawUK, I’m not sure I’d really want to spend my whole time there, in retirement or otherwise.

Don’t get me wrong- I loved it and had a great time, and could have stayed somewhat longer. But when all is said and done, it is relatively small island in the middle of the ocean, without a great deal to offer apart from the obvious.

I think for me, at least, the 3-month winter break there is a better plan, and that’s what I’ll be working towards. After all, England may have its faults, but I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else when spring shows up!

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, Spunkinmyarse said:

After all, England may have its faults, but I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else when spring shows up!

Which is... about July 1, right? 🙂

(Couldn't resist. Coming from/living in a place where April weather is positively delightful and June is abysmally hot and full of summer rainstorms, I always found it amusing the late Queen had her official birthday in June instead of April in hopes the weather would be better.)

I couldn’t agree more- believe it or not, April and May can be lovely in the UK, and often are; but weather-wise, you can almost guarantee that the first week in June will be one of the worst of the year (think D-Day landings…). I’ve no idea why the late Queen decided that this would be the ideal week to celebrate all things royal, but from coronation to jubilee, these events were plagued with miserable weather throughout her reign.

Perhaps that’s why King Charles has decided to get crowned in early May instead- let’s hope he can break this jinx!

10 hours ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

I couldn’t agree more- believe it or not, April and May can be lovely in the UK, and often are; but weather-wise, you can almost guarantee that the first week in June will be one of the worst of the year (think D-Day landings…). I’ve no idea why the late Queen decided that this would be the ideal week to celebrate all things royal, but from coronation to jubilee, these events were plagued with miserable weather throughout her reign.

Perhaps that’s why King Charles has decided to get crowned in early May instead- let’s hope he can break this jinx!

I had a feeling it actually dated back to George VI  (the late Queen's father, for those not that familiar with the background). I just looked it up to verify. It turns out the official birthday dates right back to George II in 1748!

• Moderators

@BootmanLA, @Spunkinmyarse, and @VersGuyAnon

Moderator's Note: If you want to have a separate discussion about the weather in England and the timing of royal events, please start a new thread about it, or ask me to spin these posts off into one. Let's not hijack this discussion. 

Reading the various responses to this topic it seems that many are looking to stay where they are and then travel to events etc during holidays.

That's my approach.. mind U it's a long way from Australia to anything great o/s.. but over the years have managed to get to several IML's  plus Orlando/Key West/Ft Lauderdale..plus a few lesser places.  then throw in Folsoms in Berlin with time in Amsterdam/Munich/Hamburg/Cologne/Frankfurt/London/Brighton/Manchester/Scotland etc   It's generally been great.

So, I’m 3 years from retirement here in Central, New York and the Husband has a job that he can easily move about the US with (read Doctor), which he doesn’t plan on leaving anytime soon! All our family live around us locally, but, we’ve both been having frank discussions about where we wanna see ourselves in in a couple of years! We were debating on FTL as a retirement option as we have friends there, but the other half hates bugs, humidity and (shockingly) hurricanes…definitely a place to visit and play…but we’re so over the Central NY weather and want more sun in our lives (side note…we own property on Killington Mt. in Vermont - so we have the option of playing in the snow anytime we want during the winter). As it turns out, we have an Uncle in Palm Springs who we had the opportunity to visit at his condo and we fell in love with the Town (it also didn’t hurt that I was passed around the hot tub one night as the 1 cum dump taking on 8 other gents). We have a camp up on Lake Ontario for the hot summers in Palm Springs, so we currently have a real estate agent sending us properties daily and we plan on making the decision in April when we go back down there with the “Guncle” in tow, showing us around and reviewing said properties through a gay “viewpoint.” We’re loving Cathedral City and Palm Desert...

• Like 3

my circumstances are similar to @briefbouy   husband good to retire end of next year, I am in IT so can work anywhere in the US.

I can't wait to get the fuck out of Texas.  Eastern states are either taxed too high, too cold, or in the hurricane zone.  So, looking westward.

A friend is now living in Tucson area, and I liked it there during a couple visits.  Others have mentioned water concerns in AZ.  I agree, so keeping an eye on that situation.  Colorado, Utah, and PNW on my radar as well.  I love the Vancouver area, so maybe northwest Washington gets us close.

Edited by ErikRaw
  • Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 10:57 AM, briefbouy said:

So, I’m 3 years from retirement here in Central, New York and the Husband has a job that he can easily move about the US with (read Doctor), which he doesn’t plan on leaving anytime soon! All our family live around us locally, but, we’ve both been having frank discussions about where we wanna see ourselves in in a couple of years! We were debating on FTL as a retirement option as we have friends there, but the other half hates bugs, humidity and (shockingly) hurricanes…definitely a place to visit and play…but we’re so over the Central NY weather and want more sun in our lives (side note…we own property on Killington Mt. in Vermont - so we have the option of playing in the snow anytime we want during the winter). As it turns out, we have an Uncle in Palm Springs who we had the opportunity to visit at his condo and we fell in love with the Town (it also didn’t hurt that I was passed around the hot tub one night as the 1 cum dump taking on 8 other gents). We have a camp up on Lake Ontario for the hot summers in Palm Springs, so we currently have a real estate agent sending us properties daily and we plan on making the decision in April when we go back down there with the “Guncle” in tow, showing us around and reviewing said properties through a gay “viewpoint.” We’re loving Cathedral City and Palm Desert...

• 7 months later...
On 1/20/2023 at 11:15 PM, ffWhole said:

What about Costa Rica, El Salvador or even Mexico...?
Or on the other side of the pond; Algarve, Portugal or Madeira, or even South of Spain...
The Spanish Gay community is very active and hot.

El Salvador is so beautiful. The cities in central and southern Mexico have a nice mix of culture, climate and affordability. Right now my top choice for retirement is somewhere between Oaxaca, CDMX or PVR.

But most Anglo North Americans have no concept of these areas outside of mainstream media.

I've stopped trying to convince my gay friends here in the NYC area to visit Mexico City as its AWESOME! Even the ones who are fluent spanish speakers won't visit. 

But yes, the community there is WAY more active and hot!

• Like 1