Are Democrats ashamed of Michael Dukakis?

highcountrybb

As an ex-Granite Stater and lifelong Yellow Dog Democrat I dream of voting for Jed Bartlett.

But otherwise, none of the exceptional New England public servants, many of whom are women, have the national profile or the drive to put themselves through the campaign. 

On 2/15/2023 at 3:35 PM, Rillion said:

Are Repubicans still embarrassed by Hoover?

Trump hung a portrait of A Jackson in the oval and MAGA voters made their own "basketful of deplorables" tshirts they wear to nazi-style rallies. Reps don't know that embarrassment even exists as an option. 😜

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, norefusal said:

Reps don't know that embarrassment even exists as an option. 😜

LOL .... I wonder if they even understand the meaning of being embarrassed!  Yes, we have crooked pols in the D party too - and they'll get what they've earned.  Egyptian bling only buys so much these days .... 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, ErosWired said:

“Dukakis in the tank” debacle

As Chevalier once sang (well, kinda 'sang' ) :  "Ah, yes - I remember it well ..." 

The camera was far enough away to allow us to imagine a grinning Chimpanzee riding in a toy tank, finger-fucking himself ... 

1 hour ago, hntnhole said:

"Ah, yes - I remember it well ..." 

my question is: why? 

tbh i had to google it to remind myself of why this "non-issue" was so important and when i read that "25% of respondents to a poll said they would no longer vote for him because he was seen wearing a helmet" i really had to question if perhaps the right to vote shouldn't come w somekind of minimal intelligence requirement 😜

2 hours ago, ErosWired said:

I am old enough to remember the “Dukakis in the tank” debacle and still the first thing that comes to mind when someone says “Michael Dukakis” is: “Who?”

I always think of the Willie Horton furlough. The MAGA party doesn't have any moral high ground on this, the idiot the support pardoned more criminals than any previous president, including several well known violent offenders.

7 hours ago, norefusal said:

I don't really know why some political ads make a lasting impression.  That one though, was so preposterous that all some of us needed was the mere mention, and the laughter (specific to that ad) came right out of hibernation.  

10 hours ago, norefusal said:

Which is, after all, just as good a question as “Who?”

The reason people took offense evidently had to do with his decision to do a photo-op at General Dynamics riding an M1 Abrams tank to emphasize his position on defense. Protocol at General Dynamics required wearing a helmet for safety whilst traveling in a tank at higher speed; unfortunately, this ran afoul of the generally accepted political sentiment that any politician who puts on a helmet for a military photo-op is an asshole with no respect for actual servicemembers. And his opponents had a field day with it.

But all in all, what really dinged his brand wasn’t that the disrespected the people in uniform. It was the sense that he had no control over his message. It was the kind of gaffe one simply doesn’t make at the level of a presidential campaign, and if the people who let this happen were the kind of people he had around him, how could anybody get behind that?

In addition to which: If I say to you the phrase “helmet head” what’s one of the things that eventually comes to your mind? You’ve got a little helmet on yours, too. It’s hard to run for President when people mentally associate you with “dick”.

• Like 1

Adding to the above, having ‘cock’ in your last name isn’t helpful. At least his surname wasn’t Wiener. We know how badly wrong that can go for a politician.

Edited by ErosWired
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 7:35 AM, Rillion said:

Are Repubicans still embarrassed by Hoover?

They partially loathe him for appointing an American Indian (Charles Curtis) as VP, collaborating with Jewish activists to publicize Hitler's mass murder and urge the Roosevelt administration to rescue Jewish refugees, and co-operating with Truman - and partially venerate him for ordering the National Guard to use live ammunition against Homeless Veterans in the 1930s.

Edited by TaKinGDeePanal