Surplus of bottoms?

It seems like bottoms far outnumber tops everywhere, regardless of geography or mode of hookup (apps, websites, bars, clubs, bathhouses, etc). Bottoms & vers bottoms (who are really just bottoms) appear to be plentiful & tops get the pick of the litter. Does anyone have thoughts on what the actual % of tops to bottoms (approximately) is & why the disparity exists in the first place? 

• Upvote 3

I’ve never been convinced by this. The thing is, most tops are a one shot deal- whether they’re online or in a cruise bar, they generally hook up, unload, and disappear back into real life to get on with other things.

Bottoms, on the other hand, just keep on going- the more loads they get, the more they want. So they stay online, always hunting for more- or hang out in the cruise bar/sauna to the bitter end. That’s why at the end of the night it seems like there’s nothing but bottoms.

And because bottoms cum less often, they’re always horny, always more willing to chat about sex on sites like this- and that feeds into the illusion that there are more bottoms than tops. 

I reckon there’s a pretty even split. In fact, if you take guys who self-identify as “straight”, I reckon there are actually far more tops than bottoms out there in the world as a whole.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 8
  • Piggy 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

I’ve never been convinced by this. The thing is, most tops are a one shot deal- whether they’re online or in a cruise bar, they generally hook up, unload, and disappear back into real life to get on with other things.

Bottoms, on the other hand, just keep on going- the more loads they get, the more they want. So they stay online, always hunting for more- or hang out in the cruise bar/sauna to the bitter end. That’s why at the end of the night it seems like there’s nothing but bottoms.

And because bottoms cum less often, they’re always horny, always more willing to chat about sex on sites like this- and that feeds into the illusion that there are more bottoms than tops. 

I reckon there’s a pretty even split. In fact, if you take guys who self-identify as “straight”, I reckon there are actually far more tops than bottoms out there in the world as a whole.

I’m guessing you haven’t spent much time in Manchester, then…? When news leaks out that a top has arrived in town, he’s devoured like a Snickers bar thrown over the wall of a fat camp. 

• Upvote 1
  • Piggy 1
  • Haha 11

Not only is my area overflowing with bottoms, most of the "tops" you meet online are flakes that are there for the cyber-thrills then they vanish. I had better luck when I went out in the world to physically meet people, but even then you meet mostly guys that want to bottom for you.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, YourNoLimitsBottom said:

Not only is my area overflowing with bottoms, most of the "tops" you meet online are flakes that are there for the cyber-thrills then they vanish. I had better luck when I went out in the world to physically meet people, but even then you meet mostly guys that want to bottom for you.

Absolutely - that’s my experience too!

7 hours ago, TwinkChaserSlut said:

It seems like bottoms far outnumber tops everywhere, regardless of geography or mode of hookup (apps, websites, bars, clubs, bathhouses, etc). Bottoms & vers bottoms (who are really just bottoms) appear to be plentiful & tops get the pick of the litter. Does anyone have thoughts on what the actual % of tops to bottoms (approximately) is & why the disparity exists in the first place? 

Here in Austin it seems like it's 99% bottoms.  Even guys who are top or vers top on the sites seem to mostly be interested in bottoming or at least flipping.  And yes, tops are VERY picky.  I hear a lot of "not my type".  If you aren't young, thin and good looking, forget it.  Old, chubby pigs like myself usually only get interest from a few guys.

And yes, I think it is pretty much true everywhere to some extent but some places seem more so than others.

I find this subject of "too many bottoms" quite amusing.  If it were not for bottoms, tops would have no place to put their dicks, they would be standing around in circle jerks.

Years ago I was at a group sex party and someone was complaining that there were too many bottoms.  Someone stood up and said, "they only people who don't like bottoms are OTHER bottoms".  Truer words were never spoken.

I don't ever recall a top complaining to me, GEEZ, there are just too many bottoms around, what am I going to do?   You don't hear that because tops generally don't make those kinds of remarks.   Sure, at times there can be an unequal ratio of tops to bottoms at group parties, but it always seems to work out.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

This is apples and oranges. If you include all the men in the world as a whole who identify as straight (not gay), then of course penetrators will outnumber bottoms, by a wide margin - heterosexual males don’t take cock up their asses, by definition (and by practice).

But if you survey the population of Men Who Have Sex With Men, you won’t get the same results. Informal polling on this site has repeatedly found a distribution of roughly 66% declared bottoms, 24% declared fully vers, and 10% declared Total Tops. The proportion of the population of declared bottoms who are actually bottom-leaning vers is likely quite high, with truly exclusive total bottoms likely occupying a range equivalent to Total Tops. But generally speaking, there’s a lot more ass trying to get filled than there is cock available to fill it at any given time.

Anecdotally, most accounts from the field reflect what we see in the polling. In addition, in looking at the number of putative Tops on the apps, one has to take into account the masturbatory factor that renders a significant number of them null in terms of actual viable fucking partners. They aren’t actually looking to fuck, after a few fist beats won’t be looking at all, and are therefore not Tops in any functional sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ellentonboy said:

Someone stood up and said, "they only people who don't like bottoms are OTHER bottoms".

That’s a lot of people disliking each other. Disputes should be settled not by cattiness or backstabbing, but in a civil way, through naked oil wrestling.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, ErosWired said:

That’s a lot of people disliking each other. Disputes should be settled not by cattiness or backstabbing, but in a civil way, through naked oil wrestling.

I like how you said "a lot of people", I always review who is attending a party and I don't go anywhere with high expectations.  I never think it's "all about me", though a condo full of eight naked men usually works out.   Naked oil wrestling?  Not for me, but I do agree that cattiness and backstabbing has no place in a location where almost any sexual desire can be fulfilled.  I try to think outside the box and enjoy myself.  But getting back to this thread, I really have never found situations where too many bottoms was the problem, it was usually those attending that created issues that made the situation uncomfortable for a few.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ellentonboy said:

I really have never found situations where too many bottoms was the problem, it was usually those attending that created issues that made the situation uncomfortable for a few.

On occasion at the bathhouse I have discovered the work of other bottoms trying to sabotage my chances - taking the welcome sign off my room door, closing my room door when I wasn’t aware of it, erasing a reference to my room number on the chalkboard, or, more ckeekily, changing it to their own. More than once I’ve found guys stopped looking in at me in my room shooting daggers from their eyes, then stalking off. I don’t know why. It’s not as if there’s anything overtly special about me - I’m just another ass up in a room. But it may be that they’re jealous because I do have the gumption to actually hoist my ass into mounting position, and they don’t. I can’t help them with that.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Piggy 1
  • Haha 1

For some reason I don't understand, I still check squirt and grindr in my area and it's always the same thing. I think there are literally 2 tops within about 100 miles of my location, and a whole fuckton of bottoms.

• Upvote 1
  • Piggy 1