Chat Missing

To everyone asking about Chat -

If there were easy workarounds for the problems that this buggy, problem-ridden module has, I'm sure that the staff would have long ago publicized them. I know it's tedious to read through an entire thread, but if you do (and this has been discussed ad infinitum on here, the code that runs the chat software is unlikely to ever be fixed - the owner of THIS forum has no access to that code, and it doesn't appear that the company that provided this module is going to do anything about it. Sometimes it functions, quite often it doesn't, and about the only option this site has, beyond telling you to try it periodically, is to remove the software entirely and not provide any chat feature at all. Is that what y'all want?

I get that it's disappointing, but bear in mind that live chat is NOT the primary purpose of this forum; it's to provide a space for discussions, ones that people can come behind and read after the fact. Use the site for what it's intended, and if & when the owners can develop their own, supported chat feature, I'm sure they will. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/10/2023 at 8:04 PM, BootmanLA said:

To everyone asking about Chat -

If there were easy workarounds for the problems that this buggy, problem-ridden module has, I'm sure that the staff would have long ago publicized them. I know it's tedious to read through an entire thread, but if you do (and this has been discussed ad infinitum on here, the code that runs the chat software is unlikely to ever be fixed - the owner of THIS forum has no access to that code, and it doesn't appear that the company that provided this module is going to do anything about it. Sometimes it functions, quite often it doesn't, and about the only option this site has, beyond telling you to try it periodically, is to remove the software entirely and not provide any chat feature at all. Is that what y'all want?

I get that it's disappointing, but bear in mind that live chat is NOT the primary purpose of this forum; it's to provide a space for discussions, ones that people can come behind and read after the fact. Use the site for what it's intended, and if & when the owners can develop their own, supported chat feature, I'm sure they will. 

Sorry man, i wasn't moaning was just wondering if it would help. I appreciate the effort the owners of the forum have made.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Firstly, apologies if this topic has been covered before. In which case, could someone point me to that topic, please?

I have not been able to get to chat for a while (I was able to before). Each time I tried, I got a page with the following text displayed:

Undefined field websiteurl
Sorry you encountered an error. Details about this error have been written to our logs and will be reviewed to make sure it doesn't happen to other users.

I have made sure I am logged on, and also cleared by browser's cache, neither worked so far.

Could someone help me out, please?

Screenshot.jpg

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Himself said:

Screenshot.jpg

Chat has been broken for quite a while now. This is a different error than people were seeing heretofore, which suggests to me that @rawTOP has been working on it. As the message states, the error will have been logged so he can work on that. Thanks for reporting!

• Piggy 1

On 5/16/2023 at 4:05 PM, drscorpio said:

Moderator's Report: I have been told I can tell you that the reason you are not getting responses from rawTOP is that he is in the hospital. There may be some time in rehab needed before he is back with us and able to work on our technical issues. Regrettably, the chat will have to be like it is until such time as he is able to work on it again. 

Is chat back up & running?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, UKFFBBBtm said:

I still don't see the link to the chat page

On desktop, it's in the menu bar at the top of the page, between "Forums" and "Blogs".

On mobile, it's in the dropdown menu from the "hamburger" menu button at the upper right corner.

23 hours ago, viking8x6 said:

On desktop, it's in the menu bar at the top of the page, between "Forums" and "Blogs".

On mobile, it's in the dropdown menu from the "hamburger" menu button at the upper right corner.

Nope, not there. I've not seen it since it went down for everyone

Capture.PNG

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, UKFFBBBtm said:

Nope, not there.

From the appearance of your screen shot, I'd guess it's a browser problem. The menu bar and main content box should have expanded horizontally to fill most of the window, and they haven't done. Suggest you try a different browser and/or turn off any add-ons that override HTML/CSS interpretation and see if that helps.

4 minutes ago, viking8x6 said:

From the appearance of your screen shot, I'd guess it's a browser problem. The menu bar and main content box should have expanded horizontally to fill most of the window, and they haven't done. Suggest you try a different browser and/or turn off any add-ons that override HTML/CSS interpretation and see if that helps.

Tried with Edge (which I don't use and therefore have no extensions etc) and still the same issue. 

I'm not too fussed tbh, but odd that it's missing

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.