• Still neg
    • Pozzed 1980 to 84
    • Pozzed 1985 to 89
    • Pozzed 1990 to 94
    • Pozzed 1995 to 99
    • Pozzed 2000 to 04
    • Pozzed 2005 to 09
    • Pozzed 2010 to now

Looking at these stats, it amazes me that nearly 70 percent are negative.  Kudos to those who paid attention in sex ed classes and listened to information about safe sex practices.

An HIV diagnosis may no longer be a death sentence, but no one is going to convince me that it is not life altering. That is why I stay out of the "bug chasing" threads, despite people proclaiming they are "fiction".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/21/2023 at 10:02 AM, onlyraw said:

Also - if this poll had only been up a few days we are not getting a fair representation on the guys on here

so hopefully more guys will vote (as I can’t be the only one pozed in the 95-99 category) 

You are not  poz, July 1996.

20 minutes ago, muscmtl said:

The biggest lie about 80's Aids is how many of us are still alive. 60% maybe even 70%, did not die

We don't know those statistics with any significant accuracy because we don't know, for certain, when the first infection started in the gay community and we had no tests for infection for the first five years that we DID know people were infected. Bear in mind we only started hearing the first whispers about some new disease taking out gay men when the first known deaths started popping up in 1981 - suggesting infections started well before that.

We had rough statistical models that showed how fast the disease would progress without intervention; and certainly the leadership on that intervention was sorely lacking; but there WAS intervention (in the form of condom advocacy) and starting in about 1984, annual new infections fell sharply.

That all said, I think two numbers kind of drive home the point that no, there aren't 60 or 70% of 1980's infected men still alive. In 2016, the SF Chronicle did a piece on long-term survivors - health records found 6,000 men in the city who had been living with HIV for at least 20 years (or infected in or before 1996). But in the same city, over 20,000 gay men had died of HIV, some dating back to the early 80's and some more recently infected.

So statisticians can't tell for sure how many gay men in SF were infected by, say, 1985 - but given the number of deaths over the years and the relatively small number of long-term survivors (from a period larger than just the 1980's), it's pretty clear that survival rates from the 80's are nowhere near 60%. Those survivors are the exception, not the rule.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

certainly the leadership on that intervention was sorely lacking

As a matter of history, the faded Hollywood B-movie "star" (who, coincidentally played sidekick to a chimpanzee), and then ran successfully for President - the man who never once allowed the descriptive acronym to escape his painted lips - could have done better than almost anyone else in the country to raise the alarm.  But no, he retreated to his fevered imaginative 'city on a hill' script while thousands died.

Maybe Randy paid too much attention to Cary, and the above-referenced Bonzo went nuts with jealousy .... 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ellentonboy said:

Looking at these stats, it amazes me that nearly 70 percent are negative

Agreed.  The shock of not knowing which of your friends/fuckbuds/neighbors would be around by the time next week rolled around was more than enough to make guys of all kinds withdraw from the action, and quickly.  

There was a fun bar over on Broadway called Loading Dock, and the second, back-bar area was where everyone fucked.  I remember going over there with my other half during the earlier days, and there were guys just standing staring at this pair of men, completely naked, fucking bareback.  Shocked, stunned men - maybe 25 or 30 of them - just staring in disbelief at these two.  We figured that both were already positive, and just thought they'd continue to fuck right up until the last chance to do it, knowing they'd both be gone soon. 

Guys who never went through it can emphasize, and that's to their credit, but they'll never comprehend the depth of the horror. 

• Upvote 6

Very true @hnthole.   I pretty much knew when my buds were going to pass in the 80's and even the 90's.  I pretty much automatically pulled in the range of my fuck circle as much as I could.  A half assed serial monogamy sort of thing.  As knowledge of HIV and treatments emerged in the 90's my inner slut came out to play more.  I always have had poz friends and we taught each other.  Still do....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Also, I'm sure a certain subset of those "negative" responses might be poz in disguise.  Not necessarily intentionally, of course, but I remember being warned in my younger days about the guys who are poz and don't yet know it - prob due to a recent infection.  These were the more dangerous ones, as their VL wouldn't be tempered by meds yet.  I'm 95% certain I got converted by this type of guy.

I`m sure I`m still neg. I`m not on prep. Been going to a local bathhouse for a few months now. Been there about 15 times so far. I normally get fucked at least once and somes time 3-4 times by 2-3 guys. I never ask status and always take it bare  if they will do it bare. I like the risk of it for sure. Not afraid of getting pozzed. I just have this feeling it will happen this year.