Bathhouses disappearing šŸ™

nekofox

@topblkmaleĀ ā€¦ a friend of mine in New York, just mentioned that it had become dismal there as well. He lives close to the UES club. Ā And the movie theater still is open. Ā So he said he and some buddies have gone up to Providence several times and itā€™s not as bad as you would expect!
Ā 

@willslcĀ well it sounds like you hit a grand slam there. I only doubled and came home gono.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, partying.hard said:

@topblkmaleĀ ā€¦ a friend of mine in New York, just mentioned that it had become dismal there as well. He lives close to the UES club. Ā And the movie theater still is open. Ā So he said he and some buddies have gone up to Providence several times and itā€™s not as bad as you would expect!
Ā 

@willslcĀ well it sounds like you hit a grand slam there. I only doubled and came home gono.

Covid then monkey pox took its toll on the NYC gay sex scene. Until recently - 2023 - ESC required proof of vaccine for entry and some sex parties required proof of monkey pox vax. Paddles required both plus boosters for entry. I predicted it would close. And it did. The building got sold.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Flared said:

I don't wanna sound too stupid but exactly do you do in a bath house? Is it a place full with steam that horny guys get laid? And why baths in particular? Arent' there "too many bottoms" and "too few tops" to have a balance?

In Europe at least 90% of the facility isn't steam, sauna or gym areas. There are private cubicles and large group rooms (or even whole floors) usually dimly lit. All for action away from the steam. And as guys are already stripped with just towels then they are ready to play šŸ™‚ šŸ˜Ž šŸ˜›

• Upvote 1

Thing about this is we're in such a precarious state that we as gay men may be forced toĀ  rebuild and utilizeĀ  the services of bathhouses and such again due to the political/ societal pendulem swinging back the other way and jeopardizing our civil rights and our very ability to exist.Ā 

Our culture was born out of being cast as the "Others" as the undesirables. as the outsiders.Ā  its not ideal, but perhaps we'll restore some ofĀ  the individualityĀ  we've lost.Ā 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hntnhole said:

Really ...... "more experienced" would have been a smidge betterĀ šŸ˜‡

šŸ™‚

Actually, I know some very experienced young men who are vastly more experienced than a lot of guys in our age bracket - this is one case, I fear, where the blunt truth of chronological age is the relevant factor more than, um, the mileage.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, topblkmale said:

I kind of gay fairy wish there was some kind of online repository/archive (a forum, Reddit or similar to Wikipedia maybe) for bathhouse history.

Ā 

Ā 

There used to be a great website that covered the history of the ones in San Francisco. Not sure if it is still available though.

22 hours ago, topblkmale said:

I kind of gay fairy wish there was some kind of online repository/archive (a forum, Reddit or similar to Wikipedia maybe) for bathhouse history.

Ā 

Ā 

You had to be watching TV in the wee hours to see commercials like that.

On 10/2/2023 at 9:22 PM, topblkmale said:

FLL-Clubhouse II is on its last leg. On my last visit the roof was leaking, showers were inoperable, glory holes removed and the jacuzzi had not been cleaned. The dry sauna was also OOO. There were about seven or eight guys stirring about on a prime time weekend night.

Sounds very much like the gone and much lamented Rainbow Cabaret in Tampa in its last years.

On 10/2/2023 at 9:22 PM, topblkmale said:

I enjoyed the seediness of Man's Country with the those dimly lit hallways, dark room and those specialty rooms.

After fall quarter exams were done, an upperclassman took me, a freshman at UC, to Man's Country. Kid in candy store feeling. I tried to get there at least once every quarter, and it was always a very refreshing break from the occasionally stifling atmosphere at school. During one blizzard in the winter of '79, that same upperclassman and I went to Man's Country, riding the Clark St. bus. Someone pulled the signal cord just past Lawrence, and the driver stopped the bus at the entrance to Man's Country. Ah, memories....

• Like 1

There were SO Many around in the late 70s and early 80s.Ā  Loved being young, constant boner and In-shape. Those were days to be remembered.Ā  I go back much less these days.Ā  They're all still youth-oriented.Ā  I get it and that's fine.Ā  I just wish the facilities were a bit more welcoming to older patrons. There was something about the randomness and anonymity that made it special.Ā  AIDS really put a hammer on the fun... somewhat like COVID did most recently.Ā 

Edited by downtownswallow
  • Like 1