Will you change your approach or "opinions" if a European country becomes officially Islamic?

On 4/29/2024 at 10:59 PM, NWUSHorny said:

I believe London has had an Islamic mayor, who is currently running for his 3rd term. I'm not in London, but I haven't seen any indication he was attempting to implement Sharia Law in his city.

But the scottish muslim useless yousaf has tried to in a roundabout way.......hence why hes now had to resign or be kicked out

• Moderators
13 hours ago, fisterm8 said:

... the EU is lost if it keeps bringing more and more muslims into its borders - there will be more terrorist events the larger their numbers grow.......ive been studying islam over 25 years and have worked among them and its only by doing so you begin to understand theyre not in the west to integrate.

This is an extraordinarily prejudicial statement. If you are going to make this sort of assertion, it really needs to be backed up with actual facts. As it is, it comes out as racism plain and simple.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, fisterm8 said:

But the scottish muslim useless yousaf has tried to in a roundabout way.......hence why hes now had to resign or be kicked out

It sounds like he tested the guardrails and the guardrails held. 

9 hours ago, viking8x6 said:

This is an extraordinarily prejudicial statement. If you are going to make this sort of assertion, it really needs to be backed up with actual facts. As it is, it comes out as racism plain and simple.

islam isnt a race so get off your high horse and go read a quran

[think before following links] https://thereligionofpeace.com/

Edited by fisterm8
adding link
  • Downvote 3

12 hours ago, fisterm8 said:

islam isnt a race so get off your high horse and go read a quran

[think before following links] [think before following links] https://thereligionofpeace.com/

Islam is not a race, but still the rejection of a whole group of people for the sins of a few seems pretty racist, or xenophobic if you prefer. It sure is just plain stupid and ignorant.

Would you reject all Germans for what the nazis did? Maybe the fact that must muslims are brown skinned my have something to do with the ease some people put them all in the same bag, which brings us back to racism . . . doesn't it?

• Like 2

Actually, what eventually became the German nation gave us JS Bach, certainly the greatest musical mind to date.  There are scholars to this day that spend their lives studying the enormity of his mind, contrapuntal voice-leading, from the most complex to the most simple, elegant musical thematic material. Telemann, Haydn, Beethoven, (and the just-over-the-border) colossus  Mozart, there are just to many to list.  

And that's just the study of music.  Add in all the other humanities, and realize that no other Western nation even comes close.

What's so confounding though, is how that very flower of culture could turn inward so dramatically, so quickly.

Anyone see any recent parallels a bit further West ??? 

• Upvote 2

Race and religion are vastly different.  Race has to do with your genetics.  Religion is about beliefs - essentially the stories we've made up over the millenia about who we are; frequently absent critical inquiry.  That said, many are free to believe whatever they want.  Others on our planet have their beliefs dictated to them by others.  And religion is a way to dictate beliefs.  

I acknowledge that religion did a lot for humanity along with its harms.  Teaching a generally agreed upon moral code can make living a more peaceful thing.  Countries which dictate a religion take choice away from its citizens and is counter to critical thinking which, IMO is essential to progress as we learn and discover.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I appreciate the corrections regarding the difference between race and religion.

I actually did mean "racism" when I wrote it - the rhetoric on which I was commenting gave me the impression ("comes out as") that its author's intention was xenophobic "other bashing" rather than any intelligent discussion of the dynamics of people of different religious backgrounds. 

I specifically chose to make a comment instead of ignoring it, specifically because I find the assertion "ive been studying islam over 25 years and have worked among them and its only by doing so you begin to understand theyre not in the west to integrate" to be potentially interesting.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

My partner is from Germany, and as a lad in school he has told me that the Muslim students made his life a living hell. They attacked him, they beat him, and they threatened to kill him, all because he was gay. They even brought weapons to school to back up their threats. And in the upside down world that we now live in, rather than punish the aggressors, it was he who was shipped off to another school as a way to rectify the situation, rather than actually punish those responsible. At the new school it happened all over again. I am just sharing what he has shared with me. He's told me that in some cities there are entire sections where you just do not go if you are not Muslim. I have no reason not to believe him. I'm not trying to stir the pot, but this should be troubling.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SFCumdog said:

My partner is from Germany, and as a lad in school he has told me that the Muslim students made his life a living hell. They attacked him, they beat him, and they threatened to kill him, all because he was gay. They even brought weapons to school to back up their threats. And in the upside down world that we now live in, rather than punish the aggressors, it was he who was shipped off to another school as a way to rectify the situation, rather than actually punish those responsible. At the new school it happened all over again. I am just sharing what he has shared with me. He's told me that in some cities there are entire sections where you just do not go if you are not Muslim. I have no reason not to believe him. I'm not trying to stir the pot, but this should be troubling.

That is a troubling account.  

same happening in UK...........and France is lost

• Downvote 1

• Moderators

My partner is from Germany, and as a lad in school he has told me that the Muslim students made his life a living hell... He's told me that in some cities there are entire sections where you just do not go if you are not Muslim. I have no reason not to believe him. I'm not trying to stir the pot, but this should be troubling.

Yes, it is troubling. But far from unique to Muslims. Over here in the states, things of that nature are happening too - but when I was bullied, it was by plain old white christian kids who looked (more or less) exactly like me, and by black kids (who were the worst bullies at my primary school). In that time and place, Muslims were far more likely to be the recipients of bullying than the perpetrators.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I can't say I recall any talk of Islam, or presence of Islamic folks at all when I was growing up.  It was a 'closed' social environment, and I didn't realize just how bad it was until I went away to school and discovered just how much more vibrant the human race really is. 

At least I got outta there as quickly as I possibly could.  

• Like 1