234 members have voted

1. 1. How bad was your fuck flu?

• So bad I got hospitalized
    • Pretty bad
    • Unpleasant, but not horrible
    • Mild
    • Didn't have fuck flu or didn't notice it

On 3/11/2012 at 5:04 AM, Fickloch said:

Moderator's Note: This is one of a trio of posts the others being...

1. How Long After Infection Did It Take To Get Fuck Flu?

2. How Long Did Your Fuck Flu Symptoms Last?

If you haven't voted/commented on those threads, please do.

When you first got converted, bow was your fuck flu? Was it nasty and did it turn you on knowing that you nuts were filling up with toxic man-juice?

I wasn't tested until 1993, and it came back positive. Honestly, I don't remember a specific illness prior to that. But in the late 80s there was a period where I would get what felt like an awful flu every summer. It was miserable, I felt like I had a bad case of norovirus (aka stomach flu), fever, chills, sweats. In 1988 I started getting skin rashes, which one doctor maintained MUST have been when I sero-converted (she was pushing for me to start cramming anti-virals down my throat before they'd come up with a reasonable approach; I refused because I'm a stubborn SOB).  I also remember a really bad flu in the early 80s, again more like stomach flu.  But there's no way to know for sure.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

CMV is itself a fairly mild virus that's ordinarily easily treatable if it's caught reasonably early. If left untreated for years it can wreak havoc in a person's system, particularly as their immune system collapses, but absolute blindness from a CMV infection is a sign of advanced AIDS, not seroconversion fuck-flu.

The poz friend I knew who had CMV was not on meds, probably has Hep C as well, and the CMV made him temporarily blind somehow? He had the fuck flu as well as being extremely sick before the CMV. I have been told by blind people that once someone goes partially or fully blind they do not regain sight.

20 hours ago, TotalTop said:

A symptom of HIV seroconversion. I am negative but friends who are POZ said it was like the worst flu they ever had, they had a very high fever and were delerious and had difficulty walking, and others became very sick and went blind from CMV.

Did the stay blind? Or was it temporary?

I had a bad fever, headaches and no energy. Also kept soaking the bed with night sweats and never done before. It was a couple of weeks after was drunk and had unprotected sex with a guy calling me a slut as was asking his raw cock abs load abs never asked status.

• Like 1

Very bad. Had massive fever, night sweats (NOT FUN), caused me to sleep with a towel around me, and going to the bath multiple times a night.

Stay on Prep folks, don't chase this. It is NOT fun and now we have the meds to avoid it. Use it. 

8 hours ago, TotalTop said:

The poz friend I knew who had CMV was not on meds, probably has Hep C as well, and the CMV made him temporarily blind somehow? He had the fuck flu as well as being extremely sick before the CMV. I have been told by blind people that once someone goes partially or fully blind they do not regain sight.

It's certainly true that in most cases, once eyesight is damaged, it may never return fully (although the amount of loss can be anything from "almost imperceptible" to "total".

Of course your poz friend with CMV was not on meds - that was my point. "Fuck flu" happens within a week or two of infection, as a symptom of converting to being HIV positive. NOBODY in that circumstance is on meds because they haven't been diagnosed yet. If he was infected and was not on meds and developed CMV, that wasn't fuck flu. That was the collapsing of his immune system due to advanced HIV infection.

"Fuck flu" is not a general term for flu-like symptoms experienced by poz men. It specifically means symptoms occurring shortly after infection.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TotalTop said:

He told me it was somehow temporary.

I don't understand it either as I was under the impression that vision loss or blindness is permanent.

5 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

It's certainly true that in most cases, once eyesight is damaged, it may never return fully (although the amount of loss can be anything from "almost imperceptible" to "total".

Of course your poz friend with CMV was not on meds - that was my point. "Fuck flu" happens within a week or two of infection, as a symptom of converting to being HIV positive. NOBODY in that circumstance is on meds because they haven't been diagnosed yet. If he was infected and was not on meds and developed CMV, that wasn't fuck flu. That was the collapsing of his immune system due to advanced HIV infection.

"Fuck flu" is not a general term for flu-like symptoms experienced by poz men. It specifically means symptoms occurring shortly after infection.

Thanks for the clarification. My friend described getting a fuck flu with a bad fever, being unable to leave home, and he felt better and then four. or five years later he had vision loss from the CMV.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I remember my conversion vividly but didn't realize at the time I was sero converting. I woke up on a Friday feeling crappy and as the day progressed became achy and feverish. Went to bed Friday evening and woke up with fever, chills and massive night seats. I took ibuprofen which somewhat relieved the symptoms but had to change my sheets numerous times. 

I suspected it might be HIV as it was late August and not flu season and I had been fucked by an anonymous guy 2 weeks before. This was before PrEP was available.I started to feel better by Monday night and actually went back to work on Wednesday but felt weak for another week. As I felt better I put it out of my mind. A few months later I decide to get tested and bought a home testing kit. This was when you had to mail in a blood sample and call a week later for the reult....It was Memorial Day weekend and I tested positive. Went to the local clinic where it was confirmed  

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2022 at 10:17 PM, ErosWired said:

The illness that I am quite certain was my seroconversion put me in the hospital in 2011. Among the tests I was given to determine the cause of my illness was a test for HIV infection.

That test came back negative.

False negative.

Because of that false negative, they treated my symptoms until they diminished and finally sent me home saying they thought it was some kind if virus but didn’t know what kind.

As far as they knew, however, it wasn’t HIV. Their test said it wasn’t.

Three years later I was back in the same hospital with a CD4 count of 49 and a viral load of 85,000. Because I had gone untreated for three years after a seroconversion serious enough to hospitalize me. Because of medical ignorance, overconfidence, incompetence, or some combination thereof.

To be fair, I also had had some of the shittiest luck conceivable - after that false negative, I had three other HIV tests also come back false negative. Three. That’s four in a row. What are the chances?

WOW!  That's supposed to be 81 chances in one trillion (US trillion, 10^12).  So this is supposed to be impossible if the tests had been done 3 months or more after infection.  That's really astounding. 

Edited by fuckholedc

I set up my own conversion party … and I hoped it would take.  But I never got the fuck flu.  Instead, I woke up one morning with a blotchy rash from the top of my head down to the middle of my thighs. It was so unexpected that I did not realize my body was converting at that time. I even went to a dermatologist who said he never had seen anything like that. I still was waiting for the fuck flu, but it never came. A week later it dawned on me what might’ve happened and I went for an HIV test and it came back positive. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, fuckholedc said:

WOW!  That's supposed to be 81 chances in one trillion (US trillion, 10^12).  So this is supposed to be impossible if the tests had been done 3 months or more after infection.  That's really astounding. 

That’s typical of my luck. It’s an ongoing miracle I’m not struck my meteors every time I leave the house.

One of my doctors explained it pretty simply: “My profession failed you.”