New Hpv Vaccine Will Now Prevent 9 Hpv Types. (Gardasil-9)

Somehow this flew past my head.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm426485.htm

There is a new version of Gardasil coming out, the HPV vaccine, that will now have protection for up to 9 HPV types that are problematic. Original Gardasil was just 4. This is pretty fantastic and makes the case stronger for vaccination for gay men because the likelihood of having some type prevented that you already don't have is much greater.

• Upvote 1

so this sound like something we should have prescribed/administered even if we have already had the older version? I'm assuming that would be ok? I'll need to talk to my doctor about this. Thanks for the info!

I would think so. It would add protection for 5 more types from original Gardasil. It can't hurt. There's quite a bit of high-risk oncogenic types than original gardasil didn't cover, although it did cover the most common ones (16,18)

A thing though, is that Gardasil-9 seems to have even tighter age restrictions than regular Gardasil. I don't know why this is. Could it be efficacy is just not that effective in adults?

my dr when I had the original said that they vaccinate girls but don't usually boys...and even then they try to do younger. the reasoning is that hpv is so common that by the time you have been sexually active you likely are carrying hpv.

However, he said there was no real reason to not give to people who are concerned since it won't do any harm if you already are infected, and you might only have one or two of the original covered types so you would gain protection from the others. He also said part of it was the medical cost/insurance doesn't want to cover after a certain age for those reasons. But he was fine with prescribing it and administering even though I was 24 (I think the standard cut off is 21? though i've heard 25 also) and said he would prescribe for anyone who wanted even though it would be private pay since insurance probably wouldn't cover it. Involved three shots over a few weeks if i remember correctly. 

So I'm guessing this will be the same.  Appt w doctor soon for prep checkup so i'll talk to him about this.