Prep In The Uk

bearbandit

A sexual health clinic in London has taken the unprecedented step of prescribing truvada as PrEP without waiting for it to be approved by the government's own drug approval body, NICE, which basically evaluates each drug as it becomes available and determines if the increase in quality of life the drug offers justifies its market price.

The first article that I'm aware of is here: http://www.beyondpositive.org/2015/08/04/opinion-will-privately-prescribing-prep-do-more-harm-than-good/

Although I've written for this magazine, it's some time since I've sent them any work. However, I'd note that, for once, I agree with the author of the piece and feel that the worries he raises in the piece are all too real.

<edit> Just found the clinic's website: http://getprep.uk/

Guest ff-whole

I agree with you too, but waiting untill end 2016/2017 I think is not an acceptable thing either...

I don't live in the UK but would be willing to see if I get a month or half month supply, so that I can go to Berlin for a once in a lifetime experience and know I will be kind of protected... No I am not rich.

Maybe you don't agree with my reasons why I would want it, but there is nowhere I can get it at this moment...

• 2 months later...

So the choice is:

£400pm for 30 days prep plus a check up with this clinic

or

£80 per month for the online equivalent then to arrange you own blood and kidney checkups

I don't think the sexual health clinics do kidney function tests so it would be my doctor? How could I approach the subject without revealing the reason for the check up is because im on prep? Will they have an issue because its not been given the green light in the UK?