Starting PrEP with the intention to fail

paintedgrey

I'm about ready to start taking PrEP. I've thought about it so long and I see it will be a great release for me, however, I have these intensely strong feelings that I am intending to start PrEP to go raw, but I feel in my own mind I'm going to the deliberately 'forget' to take it once I'm on it. Is this feeling familiar to anyone?

Not for me, I was doing it raw before prep and it just gives that extra level of HIV protection.

If you're already thinking you're going to forget, either set a daily alarm reminder, or if you don't care just don't take it at all. 

Not sure if you pay for PrEP in NZ, but in the UK it's free through most NHS GUM clinics, and I don't like the idea of someone getting free medication and then not using it when it could go to someone who does want/need it and will take it correctly 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, freeusebottom said:

I'm on PreP and I still get skeptical that I'll get infected by HIV even when I'm on PreP. I tend not to have sex with poz guys just because of this. Are there really any cases of getting poz even while being on PreP?

There are a very small number of documented cases (about half a dozen) where even with good compliance, PrEP failed to protect during sex.

The chances of this happening are so small that it has never been possible to measure them accurately in any of the studies that have ever been done on PrEP.

This possibility does not constitute any kind of a good reason not to use PrEP as prevention for HIV.