bberik

Norway To Provide Free Hiv-Preventing Prep Drugs To At-Risk Gay Men

3 posts in this topic

Norway is sending a bold message to the world by becoming the first country to make HIV-preventing PrEP drugs available through its National Health Service.

Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) drug Truvada can reduce the risk of being infected with HIV by up to 86% if taken daily, and has been endorsed by the World Health Organisation and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for at-risk men who have sex with men (MSM).

It is already available in a number of countries including the United States, Canada, South Africa and France.

Norway has this week become the second country in Europe to make PrEP available, announcing that PrEP drugs will be available free of charge to at-risk groups via its National Health Scheme.

According to HIV Norway, Minister for Health and Social Care Bent Høie announced the move, making Norway the first country in the world to make the drug free for users.

The decision by the minister is taken on recommendations from the Health Directorate and the Institute of Public Health.

It is a result of two years of lobbying by HIV Norway – the national organisation for people living with HIV.

Leif-Ove Hansen, the president of HIV Norway, said: “PrEP will contribute to reducing the rate of new infections in the gay community, as gay men are facing a risk of infection much higher than the general population.

“Condom use is on the decline, and we are happy that PrEP now is an integrated part of the public health service.”

The news has been met with applause from HIV charities in the UK, where NHS England has been fighting a legal battle over the responsibility to commission the drugs.

Ian Green, Chief Executive of Terrence Higgins Trust, said: “Norway’s decision to provide PrEP is another great step forward for HIV prevention in Europe. PrEP is a game changer and, when used alongside condoms, regular testing and effective treatment, it can help end the HIV epidemic for good.

“The announcement is a reminder that here in the UK we are still waiting for PrEP to be available on the NHS to those at risk of HIV. Every day NHS England delays access, 17 people are diagnosed – and the lifetime cost to the NHS for each diagnosis is £360,000.

“NHS England must stop with their delays and confusion, and make PrEP immediately available to those at risk of HIV here at home.”

Copied from Pink News.

Must add that the Minister of Health & Social Care in Norway is gay.

Last year Norway ruled that gay people can get married in church in Norway, not only in court houses.

On 10/22/2016 at 6:24 AM, bberik said:

Must add that the Minister of Health & Social Care in Norway is gay.

I'm sure that did't have anything to do with it....

Frankly, Norway has so much money that I guess for them it was not a difficult choice. Cash strapped systems like NHS and the like are a lot more reticent because of the bottom line.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By gay87
      I out myself as a prep user and got into a debate with a fuck buddy who always insisted on condom even though both of us were neg and I'm on prep 
      I argued to him that if I leave hiv out of the equation by taking prep, doesn't that makes me as safe as blowing a raw dick? 
      He is a 'safe sex' player, I told him, 'you know sucking a raw dick also expose you to sti right?'
      he retorted that 'but these sti are easily curable!' 
      I replied 'but if I took prep and leave hiv out of equation, getting a raw anal load, is only as risky as swallowing a load down your throat' 
      what do u guys think? Am I wrong to think this way? Is taking a raw load up my arse on prep much more dangerous than a neg guy not on prep drinking poz cum 
    • By chkink
      Just read this. Not sure yet how he got infected.
      Melbourne man tests positive to HIV while taking preventative drug

• By GoodExercise
      Pignextdoor (BBRT) is more than ready.  His story:
      Just a pig living the life hidden as the type you'd never expect. But I want to change that! Been negative and on prep for a long time but I'm ready to convert so I can unleash the true inner piggy in me. It's a very intimate and special thing for me, so anon pump and dumps aren't what I need... yet. I don't expect marriage, but I want someone who will help me start my journey - and enjoy as it continues to grow. I don't need lectures or people to save me or tell me why it's not worth it. Can you be the one to help?
      I want to get Pigboynextdoor's journey off on the right foot.  Any of you other PrEPsters feeling like him?
    • By justsexnowatl
      10 days ago I started in Gilead's Discover study for the drug Descovy as a new PrEP drug.  There are 5,000 men in the study.  I haven't seen anyone else on here that's mentioned it and wondering if there are any others.  It's a "sister" drug of Truvada with a change in the concentration of the active ingredients to reduce long term side effects regarding bone density and kidney function.  Many (most) poz guys on Truvada have been switched over to Descovy I believe.  It's not currently approved as PrEP which is why it has to be studied, and I'll be in the study group for about 2.5 years.  There's a 50/50 chance I'm on the test drug, or the placebo which is Truvada.  Kind of wondering what to call my "status" on bbrt and other hookup sites.  I changed it to Neg + Other on bbrt.  Might put "ask me" instead.  Don't really wanna do something that will decrease my chances of hooking up, but I'm pretty upfront and all about repeat fuckbuds and building some trust.  I plan to be a good test subject and not change my sex habits.  Anyone else on it?
    • By swansub
      I've been on PReP for a few weeks and have updated my status to Neg+PReP on those sites I'm a member of and am amazed at how many have asked me what PReP is. I know it's not readily available in the UK but I thought everyone would have at least heard of it. All the guys that have asked have their status marked as Neg but judging by their ignorance of PReP I suspect they're just as ignorant of their own status. Before going on PReP I sometimes mentioned to other Neg guys that I preferred fucking Undetectable guys as this seemed to be the safest option of not contracting HIV but most thought I was being naive at the least. Now when I say I'm happy to take Poz loads they think I'm plain stupid. I have one fb who wants me to get fleshly loaded before he arrives but insists that the guy be married and older because it's 'safer'. I'm really taken aback at the level of ignorance.

Other #BBBH Sites…