bberik

Norway To Provide Free Hiv-Preventing Prep Drugs To At-Risk Gay Men

3 posts in this topic

Norway is sending a bold message to the world by becoming the first country to make HIV-preventing PrEP drugs available through its National Health Service.

Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) drug Truvada can reduce the risk of being infected with HIV by up to 86% if taken daily, and has been endorsed by the World Health Organisation and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for at-risk men who have sex with men (MSM).

It is already available in a number of countries including the United States, Canada, South Africa and France.

Norway has this week become the second country in Europe to make PrEP available, announcing that PrEP drugs will be available free of charge to at-risk groups via its National Health Scheme.

According to HIV Norway, Minister for Health and Social Care Bent Høie announced the move, making Norway the first country in the world to make the drug free for users.

The decision by the minister is taken on recommendations from the Health Directorate and the Institute of Public Health.

It is a result of two years of lobbying by HIV Norway – the national organisation for people living with HIV.

Leif-Ove Hansen, the president of HIV Norway, said: “PrEP will contribute to reducing the rate of new infections in the gay community, as gay men are facing a risk of infection much higher than the general population.

“Condom use is on the decline, and we are happy that PrEP now is an integrated part of the public health service.”

The news has been met with applause from HIV charities in the UK, where NHS England has been fighting a legal battle over the responsibility to commission the drugs.

Ian Green, Chief Executive of Terrence Higgins Trust, said: “Norway’s decision to provide PrEP is another great step forward for HIV prevention in Europe. PrEP is a game changer and, when used alongside condoms, regular testing and effective treatment, it can help end the HIV epidemic for good.

“The announcement is a reminder that here in the UK we are still waiting for PrEP to be available on the NHS to those at risk of HIV. Every day NHS England delays access, 17 people are diagnosed – and the lifetime cost to the NHS for each diagnosis is £360,000.

“NHS England must stop with their delays and confusion, and make PrEP immediately available to those at risk of HIV here at home.”

Copied from Pink News.

Must add that the Minister of Health & Social Care in Norway is gay.

Last year Norway ruled that gay people can get married in church in Norway, not only in court houses.

On 10/22/2016 at 6:24 AM, bberik said:

Must add that the Minister of Health & Social Care in Norway is gay.

I'm sure that did't have anything to do with it....

Frankly, Norway has so much money that I guess for them it was not a difficult choice. Cash strapped systems like NHS and the like are a lot more reticent because of the bottom line.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By gay87
      Hi guys, im on prep, so i dont really care much about the loads i take.
      However as you know, bottoms are meant to take multiple loads,
      I wanna ask a question, If i have poz cum in my arse, would it pose any risk to my next top that is pumping a load into me?

• By gay87
      For myself, since im on Prep,
      My risk appetite increased from level 1, to level 2, and occassionally to level 3 unknown stats when im poppered up and high in sauna

Its my first time on Prep (previously on 30-day PEP) , however i still have butterflies on stomach when a high VL guy >300,000 wants to poz me up
    • By WildBreed
      Hi Gents,

has anyone ever used PreP on demand before BB sex?

My doctor just gave me a prescritpion for Truvada with the following recommendations, and I quote:
      "the use of PreP can be on daily basis, which was mostly used in clinical studies, but it has also been effective on an on-demand basis during high risk periods (for example, holidays or weekends).
      Dailyuse: 1 tablet Truvada per day....
      on-demand: 2 tablets about 12 hours (24 up to 2hours)  before sexual contact, then 1 tablet every 24 hours after the first pill for the whole duration of the period. Then stop"

That's kind of new information for me; has anyoneof you used PreP this way?

• By muscmtl
      This is a bit of research and since I've never read research on this topic, I'd thought I start. Like many of you, I stayed off the meds for a long time following my diagnostic in 1985  (the year the test came available.) My t-cells were high and only started to decline after 10 years. Then the viral load test appeared and it took another 2 years for the load to be significant enough to start meds.
      Have this hypothesis I want to check so the more of you answer the better.
    • By Rawdad4sons
      I am very well known, but not always very popular, many times I find myself fighting for my life. I however am cleaver and I find places to hide, so I can’t be harmed. My main purpose is to make copies of myself and give those copies the strength and determination to carry on, passing on to my brothers the desire to continue to make more copies. By the way my name is Rep, I am small yet resilient and I love those who host me, even the ones who try to destroy me, because usually by the time they find out I’ve been freeloading or being a squatter it’s too late to really get rid of me.
      I especially love when my host become aroused, all hot and sweaty, because I’ve made copies of myself in their fluids to share with the object of their arousal. And I can start anew coping myself in the new host, just need that hook to attach too and I’m off to the races, making multiple duplicates who make multiple duplicates till I have overtaken the new host. Yeah there is a period of time where I make the host totally miserable for a spell, but they usually get over it and I can find hiding places to continue my replication, and convert my host, sometimes I communicate my desires to remain alive and goad the host on to find other host for me to sublet within.
      Early in my infancy back in the late 70’s early 80’s, copied myself unchecked and made my host quite mad with the desire to share me with others, they thought they were just really horny in the decades of free love, and liberation, but it was me who encouraged them to spread me around by controlling their minds, after all I realized that, they were just host and host tended to wither and stop functioning, many times with dark spots covering their once beautiful bodies, I had to keep living so I made sure their parts that passed me on most effectively, maintained a virility that would let me transfer myself to other more healthy host.
      Then the scientist figured out how to slow my duplicating process, and began feeding mu host drugs that made me sick, made the host sick too and I really had to hide where the drugs couldn’t go so I could keep multiplying, it became even more necessary to make the host want to share me with their friends and fuck mates. As the doctors became more efficient at finding me and causing my destruction I started finding ways to integrate myself and make myself look like the host, I found ways to make myself immune to the drugs and became resistant to their treatments, doctors called me HIV and when I had destroyed enough of my Host they nicknamed me AIDS, I was having a good old time being passed around, now having many brothers and cousins to mix with when my host refused to use what the doctors call protection, it was just a small barrier, but it broke a lot and my host many times where in the moment, and just fucked and shared me with knowing and receptive partners and unknowing pawns in my twisted mind game. I will not be defeated without a fight and like my cousins Syphilis and gonorrhea I will keep going, to fight the battle to live in my host and to replicate myself, no matter how mutated I must be

Other #BBBH Sites…