July 26 Site Upgrade Issues

On 8/1/2017 at 6:24 AM, rawTOP said:

@BlindRawFucker has been my guide on a lot of accessibility issues for visual impairment. It was my understanding that the issue is contrast and white on black is as constrasty as black on white. This theme has no transparency, and that's another thing that is supposed to make things better. Which theme are you using?

I know everyone is different, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents...

I like the dark background/ white text theme. With a white background/ dark text screen (such as facebook) I get terrible eyestrain and fatigue, and the dark background is much easier on my eyes when, for instance, I'm reading stories in the fiction sections. Photoshop finally started offering a dark background theme a few years ago and it's been a godsend.

• Like 1

OK, so this is weird! I could see the pics posted by Jaybird, but not the ones by NLbear. Also looked at a few profiles and if they had an avatar, I could see it, but if they had their own background, I just got empty box with the jpg symbol in the corner. 

My own pictures are disappearing. They were there 90min ago, but the picture I tried to up load, didn't. Just a box and a description. 

I just downloaded a blacked out picture from my album to my computer. It came back fine.

Edited by analdeviant
Update

• Administrators

The problem with pictures seems to be that my host is blocking the CDN I use. So pictures that were in the CDN's cache you got, but any that have expired or are new didn't show up. I yelled at my host and It should be fixed now.

If that doesn't make sense, let me explain further (if you're interested). When you type in a URL on here it goes to my server and returns the HTML. The HTML has URLs in it for things like stylesheets and images. They exist on my server, but you don't get them from my server. Instead, I use a CDN which means you request the file from an "edge server" and the edge server requests it from a "shield server" and the shield server requests it from my server. That may seem horribly inefficient, but it's not because the edge and shield  servers cache the file and there are many edge servers around the world, so unless you're in Atlanta, you're probably getting it from a server that's closer to you than my server is. Anyway, my server was rejecting requests from the shield server so everything sorta broke down.

rawTOP, I just went to several member's profiles, I could view avatars, backgrounds and, if they had an album, view album pics. Hopefully the issue is fixed. I know it's quite easy for you but man....it sounds so complicated, LOL. I'm just happy you took care of it for us!!

18 hours ago, ConversionPerv said:

I like the dark background/ white text theme. With a white background/ dark text screen (such as facebook) I get terrible eyestrain and fatigue, and the dark background is much easier on my eyes when, for instance, I'm reading stories in the fiction sections. Photoshop finally started offering a dark background theme a few years ago and it's been a godsend.

There's research about this in areas like Human Factors and such.  Lighter text on a darker background can be a lot easier to read and less fatiguing. I remember a professor telling us about this several years ago when I was in undergrad; encouraging us to go against the preset themes in powerpoint to make our own dark backgrounds with light text. Therefore, I also like the style of this site with the darker background - it not only makes things easier to read, but it sets the mood as well (the "darker" things we discuss on here).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • rawTOP unpinned this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.