REPUTATION POINTS

Guest takingdeepanal

On 6/9/2020 at 7:03 AM, rawTOP said:

The reputation system is what it is. In the end if you're a good member you'll get way more up votes than down votes. But people who are truly disruptive or spamming the site will get way more down votes than up votes and that will prevent them from moving to the next stage of membership.

So don't worry about it.

As I (slowly) build the new sites I'll try to take stuff like this into consideration. IMHO, what's needed is to see if someone's negativity is shared by others. So if they consistently down vote things other people are up voting, then that's a problem. The percentage of their votes that are down votes should also be within certain limits (1 or 2 standard deviations from the mean). So I get what's needed, I just can't fix it right here and now.

Pushing this to the top: Is there any movement on the notion of "seeing if someone's negativity is shared by others"? 

I've apparently pissed off someone here, who's decided to go downvote post after post of mine. I have no idea if he's trying to drag down my reputational points or just acting out. Even if I "ignore" the user, he's still apparently free to flag my posts with a downvote, regardless of what I wrote or the topic or whatever. 

I realize it's kind of pathetic that he's so bent on something so petty, and I should just quietly laugh to myself at how pitiful this is, but it could have longer term impact on here. I can cease engaging with the twit, but that won't stop him from trying to torpedo my posts.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators
7 hours ago, doctordoctor said:

How many levels are they and what are the point thresholds for each level?

There are three different systems. 

1. Your reputation 
    This is the green number underneath your avatar pic. All of the positive reactions increase this by 1. Downvotes decrease it by 1. There are no thresholds directly associated with this system. More about this here:
  2. Your post count. 
    The categories for this system appear above your avatar photo. A full explanation can be found here:
  3. The Membership System
    This is the new system which greatly restricts people when they first come to the forum. rawTOP is unwilling to share the specifics of how this system works (even with moderators) because he doesn't want people to game the system. This whole thread is worth reading; I am linking to the most relevant post.

Did that answer your question?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, drscorpio said:

There are three different systems. 

1. Your reputation 
    This is the green number underneath your avatar pic. All of the positive reactions increase this by 1. Downvotes decrease it by 1. There are no thresholds directly associated with this system. More about this here:
  2. Your post count. 
    The categories for this system appear above your avatar photo. A full explanation can be found here:
  3. The Membership System
    This is the new system which greatly restricts people when they first come to the forum. rawTOP is unwilling to share the specifics of how this system works (even with moderators) because he doesn't want people to game the system. This whole thread is worth reading; I am linking to the most relevant post.

Did that answer your question?

Thank you, but not exactly.  I was asking about the green numbers you discuss in #1 above.  However, there do appear to be levels and thresholds.  For example, when I view my profile, it shows 416 for my reputation points and below the number it has “Much Liked”.  The poster above my question in this thread shows 865 reputation points on his profile with “Much Loved” below the number.  Your profile show over 3000 reputation points with the descriptor “Superstar”.  There must be levels to go from “liked” to “much liked” to “loved” to “much loved” to “superstar”.  I was just wondering how many of these “levels” they are and what points get you there.  (I know this is not a competition, but I was just curious.). Note, that the descriptor isn’t there if you are viewing the detail of the reputation activity, the descriptor is there on an individuals main profile page. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, doctordoctor said:

Thank you, but not exactly.  I was asking about the green numbers you discuss in #1 above.  However, there do appear to be levels and thresholds.  For example, when I view my profile, it shows 416 for my reputation points and below the number it has “Much Liked”.  The poster above my question in this thread shows 865 reputation points on his profile with “Much Loved” below the number.  Your profile show over 3000 reputation points with the descriptor “Superstar”.  There must be levels to go from “liked” to “much liked” to “loved” to “much loved” to “superstar”.  I was just wondering how many of these “levels” they are and what points get you there.  (I know this is not a competition, but I was just curious.). Note, that the descriptor isn’t there if you are viewing the detail of the reputation activity, the descriptor is there on an individuals main profile page. 

Moderator's Note: Sorry, you are right, of course. I totally forgot about those because I know nothing about them other than as you have observed your title changes at certain thresholds. Maybe @rawTOP can give us some insight about them. 

• Thanks 1

This reminds me of the episode of Black Mirror called "Nosedive" starring Bryce Dallas Howard on Netflix.   It's about a society that's based upon reputation points accumulated by people in every day's interactions.   You vote people up or down based on your interaction with them.   If you're kind and sweet and nice, and get voted up enough, you get better discounts on apartments, etc.    It's pretty creepy and the episode descends in to chaos due to one small incident where the main character is attending a wedding filled with tons of people who have high ratings, and she wants to get there as well.    Well worth a watch!     

• Like 1

11 hours ago, haireebear said:

This reminds me of the episode of Black Mirror called "Nosedive" starring Bryce Dallas Howard on Netflix.   It's about a society that's based upon reputation points accumulated by people in every day's interactions.   You vote people up or down based on your interaction with them.   If you're kind and sweet and nice, and get voted up enough, you get better discounts on apartments, etc.    It's pretty creepy and the episode descends in to chaos due to one small incident where the main character is attending a wedding filled with tons of people who have high ratings, and she wants to get there as well.    Well worth a watch!     

There was something similar in an episode of The Orville, though probably a little more tongue-in-cheek for the most part.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, VersGuyAnon said:

I currently sit at 197 and have my fingers crossed to reach 200 soon.

I'm a "devotee" on 9 out of 14. To those of you who have reached a higher level, may I ask what the next levels are? 🙂

To be seen on your own profile page.

1) Open that page and look in the middle.

2) Click on 'recent badges' and you will be led to all badges earned, on the left side ther will show up the list of your rank progress.

Hope this helped  😉

I'm 13/14 - Veteran.  Apparently, I've been around a while, have interacted with a lot of people, Posted topics and commented on others.  It think there's some value to each of those actions and they build over time.  I'm still 2200 points away from becoming the Supreme (or whatever 15/15 is).  When I do, I'll expect a crown and a scepter and the respect I deserve!  :-p

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, immerhinein said:

To be seen on your own profile page.

1) Open that page and look in the middle.

2) Click on 'recent badges' and you will be led to all badges earned, on the left side ther will show up the list of your rank progress.

Hope this helped  😉

Thanks, yes I can see what I'm on. I was just curious what levels are yet to be attained.  

On 10/7/2022 at 12:03 PM, phukhole said:

I'm 13/14 - Veteran.  Apparently, I've been around a while, have interacted with a lot of people, Posted topics and commented on others.  It think there's some value to each of those actions and they build over time.  I'm still 2200 points away from becoming the Supreme (or whatever 15/15 is).  When I do, I'll expect a crown and a scepter and the respect I deserve!  😛

I believe it tops out at 14, the ‘Grand Master’ level. Although there’s no scepter (just as well, we’d just shove it up our asses anyway) the symbol for the ranking does in fact show a little crown, with three points. If it went any higher, it would have to have four points, and that could easily be mistaken for a fool’s cap. Which, in my case, would probably be appropriate.

• Haha 1