Issues with notifications?

Am I the only one who received only a few mail notifications in the last two days? I noticed I don't get any from topics or other members I am following. When I checked Unread Content I saw quite a few for which I should have received a mail noticiation but didn't.

• Upvote 1

Did something change with notifications?  I follow enough members that every day there is at least one notification of new content posted.  But I haven't gotten any notifications all week.  I did confirm that members I have followed are posting.   I did get a "Site Unavailable" notice earlier this week at some point, so I'm not sure if that is related.

• Upvote 2

Same here. I usually get dozens of notifications (and email notifications) of people and topics I follow. For a few days I only get very few while I do see there are updates on topics and posts by members I follow for which I should have gotten a notification but didn't.

Btw, I posted a similar question here on Thursday but somehow thta is still pending approval.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Dubconforlife said:

Same, I got about a dozen from the 25th on.

I had 102 notifications. 🙂 I’d guess they had to reset something to fix the notification issue, which resulted in the app having to “catch up” again. 

36 minutes ago, Qdxxx said:

I had 102 notifications. 🙂 I’d guess they had to reset something to fix the notification issue, which resulted in the app having to “catch up” again. 

I wouldn't mind fucking a little tranny, sissy or CD with you 

• Downvote 1

• Administrators

The short(ish) version of a long story is that a week or so ago Wordpress alerted me that the version of the scripting language that's used on the server was no longer secure. (It was past its "end of life" - hosts like using old software because more of the problems have been worked out.) So I had my host upgrade the scripting language as well as the database software. Everything seemed to be OK, but then a few days ago @puphawaii let me know that the leaderboard wasn't updating. I went into the admin area and saw that the upgrades my host had done messed up the background processes for the site - things that send out notifications or figure out who was the leader for the day after the day is over. Well, they were taking forever to diagnose the problem and getting nowhere and then last night around 11:30 ET, while working on the problem, one of the techs did something that stopped the scripting language from connecting to the database server - at which point all the database-driven sites on my server went down. I was fast asleep at the time and didn't learn of the problem until I woke up just before 5am - at which point I saw a text from @drscorpio (though, giving credit where credit is due @SIReast was the first to report the problem - via Twitter). I got out of bed and escalated the problem with my host and a senior tech fixed it. I also got the host's "BDSM" person (Business Development, Sales & Marketing) involved (she lives in Europe, so it wasn't a holiday for her). She's going to escalate it to senior management when they get back from holiday tomorrow - given that they basically crashed my server for 5-6 hours after failing to  resolve the original problem in a timely manner. Generally my host has a really great reputation, but they messed up this time.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

@rawTOP Language migrations are a pain in the ass, and not in the good and happy way. Kept having a site crash during a migration ~5 years ago. Came down to a commented out section of code that I left in case I needed it later. Translator was missing the begin/end comment markers.

Very glad everything's back up, thank you and your admins and mods for all the time put into such a great site. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rawTOP said:

the host's "BDSM" person (Business Development, Sales & Marketing)

I will never be able to look at someone in sales and marketing the same way again.

5 hours ago, laguyinhou said:

Translator was missing the begin/end comment markers.

I cannot count the maddening hours I’ve lost trying to troubleshoot code that would work perfectly except for a single misplaced character in thousands on lines. This is why I’m not afraid of machine intelligence taking over the world any time soon - you can glitch it to death with a single keystroke.

• Upvote 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.