Just started PrEP, how many days i have to wait so the PrEP have effect?

rodoonestandard

14 minutes ago, downtownswallow said:

Can anyone help me?  I've been looking into PrEP and am curious if the reports that it (PrEP) can cause kidney damage are true?  

It can be a side effect of prep that your kidney function works less well, but they test your kidney function every 3 months with al the other test (HIV/STD). would not worry about it too much, it's not very common that it happens.

• Thanks 1

@Barebackwhore, very well explained!

I would add, for people who asked about onset of protection, about on-demand/intermittent/"2-1-1" dosing, and about side effects, that it is great to discuss these concerns with peers in an online forum, but that it's even more important to raise them with the medical professional who provides your PrEP care. (If you don't have regular contact with a medical professional, make it happen! PrEP is not intended to be DIY. All conclusions about PrEP's very high efficacy are based on studies of people who were under ongoing medical supervision.)

Also, on-demand dosing is discussed in the draft 2021 revision to the CDC PrEP guidelines, and of course in the research literature (Ipergay trial and others since). If you are curious about this option, ask your medical professional to read up if they are not yet familiar. Even relatively conservative, large, longtime PrEP providers like Kaiser Permanente now openly support intermittent dosing (and it has been an option in France for years now). Although on-demand dosing does not necessarily reduce side effects (which are either mild or uncommon, anyway), some PrEP patients prefer it.

• Upvote 1