Why are black people at greater risk of catching HIV?

Safer

I was pozzed by a black man. He was gay, an awesome sexual partner but he was on the dl because of friends and family. He was never tested and had no idea he was infected when he fucked me. I got the fuck flu and eventually got tested. Only then did he get tested only to find out he had AIDS. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/30/2021 at 10:50 PM, Safer said:

I have been looking around the internet and researching and everywhere I see it says black people are at higher risk of catching HIV but it doesn't necessarily explain why.

From what I've read it has far less to do with skin colour and far more to do with money. Access to proper healthcare, drug use (sharing needles especially) and a general lack of health education are most of the factors here. It's a societal thing more than a racial thing, just that - unfortunately - there are more blacks who are poor, don't have access to the aforementioned resources and also tend to dabble in recreational drug use more.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ohmalewhore said:

From what I've read it has far less to do with skin colour and far more to do with money. Access to proper healthcare, drug use (sharing needles especially) and a general lack of health education are most of the factors here. It's a societal thing more than a racial thing, just that - unfortunately - there are more blacks who are poor, don't have access to the aforementioned resources and also tend to dabble in recreational drug use more.

It's a racist myth that blacks "dabble in recreational drug use more". Drug usage rates are pretty consistent across races; the KIND of drugs used may vary, though, and criminal sentences (naturally) tend to reflect that. White people, for instance, are far more likely to use powder cocaine than crack, black people the opposite (or at least, that was the case for a long time, not sure about current stats); but for decades a particular amount of crack had a minimum sentence up to 100 times as long as the same amount of powder form. One big reason that the powers that be keep wringing their hands over "the opioid epidemic" is that so many of the addicts who've gotten caught up with them are white (and poor). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ohmalewhore said:

From what I've read it has far less to do with skin colour and far more to do with money.

Hi my american bros!

That‘s exactly what we think in good old europe. But we are far away. I hope one day all that religion or skin colour or income shit disappears. It should only be about fucking, pissing, fisting, Tina-ing or whatever!

Amen

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What is the percentage of black males compared to white as general population?  I’d say it’s less than 15%. However about 25% of guys who’ve fucked me are black men.  I’d either say we as bottoms seek them out more and put them at a greater risk or a greater percentage of black men are willing to engage us for sex.  Either way I’m happy because they are much more my type. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 11:25 PM, ohmalewhore said:

and also tend to dabble in recreational drug use more.

I agree with everything you mentioned, except the above.  If that is so, and I do not accept that it is, I rather think it's for the same situations listed before adding this final statement to your post.  

On 12/25/2021 at 12:35 PM, BarebackBrat said:

What is the percentage of black males compared to white as general population?  I’d say it’s less than 15%. However about 25% of guys who’ve fucked me are black men.  I’d either say we as bottoms seek them out more and put them at a greater risk or a greater percentage of black men are willing to engage us for sex.  Either way I’m happy because they are much more my type. 

1. Black people represent approximately 14% of the population of the United States. The percentage in other countries, of course, will differ dramatically.

2. I sincerely doubt that what percentage of your sexual partners have been black somehow affects the prevalence of HIV in the black community at large, and it's first-degree navel gazing to suggest that "we as bottoms" do anything in particular simply because you do.

10 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

1. Black people represent approximately 14% of the population of the United States. The percentage in other countries, of course, will differ dramatically.

2. I sincerely doubt that what percentage of your sexual partners have been black somehow affects the prevalence of HIV in the black community at large, and it's first-degree navel gazing to suggest that "we as bottoms" do anything in particular simply because you do.

Burn.... 

Less access to gay sex education and less access to medical care are the largest reasons. Most gay community centers in larger metropolitan areas are in predominately white neighborhoods. 

Also, I would guess black men face discrimination from white medical professionals.

Also, black men are more likely to have contact with the prison system due to systemic racism. 

Lastly, many black communities are religiously conservative and gay sexuality is not accepted. This forces many gay black men into the closet and they do not seek out PrEP.

All this is based on what I have read. As a white man I am no expert,  but I encourage other white men to be better allies and help black men get medical access and HIV education and ask gay black men how best to help instead of objectifying black bodies.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thank you, Shotsfired, for the excellent reply. 

Living most of my adult life in Chicago, there was a steady stream of Af/Am guys coming from the South Side up to the North Side (boystown), to get away from exactly what you describe.  There was also (at least with some of the guys we hung around with) sort of a "network" of gay households that would help out with getting a SouthSider settled, find a place, a job, make sure he had what he needed, all of that.  We called it the "new" underground railroad, and it gradually expanded to Mormon kids out west too, some of which were afraid for their lives.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unsafe sex, not using condoms or as of more recently taking prep daily, not getting tested, and the attitude of "I can have as much unsafe sex as I want and not take prep or use condoms and I will stay HIV NEG!" I don't think this has to do with race or ethnicity.