News about Apretude (cabotegravir) 2-month injectable PrEP

fskn

I think for those that are negative, and want to stay that way, I would assume whatever option is more effective would be the one they select.

However, how many have insurance that will cover prep, and are they in an area where they can get to a doctor willing to administer it? I would think the pill form might be easier for those who live in rural areas, and can get the medication mailed to them.

Good luck to all of you...

28 minutes ago, ellentonboy said:

I think for those that are negative, and want to stay that way, I would assume whatever option is more effective would be the one they select.

^^ditto this.^^ (though i'd trade out use for "select."   

It's another step forward in prevention. 

Here's a link to cost info for Apretude (brand name of the injection).

"Federal law requires that insurance plans cover certain items and services associated with PrEP. Call your insurance company to see how this may impact you."

[think before following links] https://apretude.com/apretude-cost/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=what+is+apretude+used+for&gclid=CjwKCAjwgZCoBhBnEiwAz35RwsO1sEy4QdtL8UHWiYDarkfIuqsa1Az54MRvoFnp7QaixZQUqNQ1cBoCDkIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With respect to effectiveness: the primary reason Apretude is more effective, to the extent that it is, is almost certainly because it doesn't require daily compliance. You take a shot, then return in 60 days, lather, rinse, repeat. For some men, it's a lot easier to take a shot every other month, particularly if the doctor's office sets the appointments and reminds you when they're up, than it is to remember to take a pill every day.

So with a pill form of PrEP, there are always going to be some individuals who slip up, forgetting to take the pill every day, sometimes more often than others. That's going to lower the overall effectiveness, even if (for most people, who do take it daily) the pill provides essentially just as much protection as the shot series.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

With respect to effectiveness: the primary reason Apretude is more effective, to the extent that it is, is almost certainly because it doesn't require daily compliance. You take a shot, then return in 60 days, lather, rinse, repeat. For some men, it's a lot easier to take a shot every other month, particularly if the doctor's office sets the appointments and reminds you when they're up, than it is to remember to take a pill every day.

So with a pill form of PrEP, there are always going to be some individuals who slip up, forgetting to take the pill every day, sometimes more often than others. That's going to lower the overall effectiveness, even if (for most people, who do take it daily) the pill provides essentially just as much protection as the shot series.

I've been informed by my doctor that under the "Emergency Method", all you need to do is take 2 tablets about 2 hours before, then 1 per day for the next 3 days.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TaKinGDeePanal said:

I've been informed by my doctor that under the "Emergency Method", all you need to do is take 2 tablets about 2 hours before, then 1 per day for the next 3 days.

You are describing "PrEP" (PRE Exposure Prophylaxis) on demand - not PEP (POST Exposure Prophylaxis).

PrEP on demand is for planned sex - note that you have to take it BEFORE the sex.

PEP is used primarily in cases of sexual assault, but can in theory be used by others - it's when you've had unprotected sex WITHOUT taking anything beforehand, so the virus enters an unprotected system. That's why you stay on it for 30 days - to make sure that it doesn't get established.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DallasPozzible said:

I have no problem with daily pill compliance since I take numerous pills every morning. What could be an advantage is getting STI testing every two months. 

That's definitely also a plus.

And yes, of course if you're already used to taking daily medications - as those of us of a certain age often are - then adding one more pill to the routine isn't as big a deal.

But for youngsters, who are more accustomed to taking short runs of medication for a specific illness, then stopping, it may be a lot more difficult to remember. Especially if you don't adapt well to strict routines (and in my experience, many people in their late teens and 20's do not). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

You are describing "PrEP" (PRE Exposure Prophylaxis) on demand - not PEP (POST Exposure Prophylaxis).

PrEP on demand is for planned sex - note that you have to take it BEFORE the sex.

PEP is used primarily in cases of sexual assault, but can in theory be used by others - it's when you've had unprotected sex WITHOUT taking anything beforehand, so the virus enters an unprotected system. That's why you stay on it for 30 days - to make sure that it doesn't get established.

I thought that the topic we're discussing is PrEP. Please let me know how I'm getting my wires crossed.

1 minute ago, TaKinGDeePanal said:

I thought that the topic we're discussing is PrEP. Please let me know how I'm getting my wires crossed.

You're correct, and I have my wires crossed (I was also responding in a thread that involved PEP as a response to someone getting fucked when he only expected to be fisted). That's my error.

That said: Yes, the 2+1+1 method generally works. My own, idiosyncratic view is that it has more room for error. You have to take the initial doses far enough ahead, but not too far, and it's possible to screw that up. Once you have sex, you have to time the post-sex doses pretty accurately (I don't mean to the minute, but being four or five hours off is going to lower the effectiveness).

Plus, I can remember more than one weekend in my "dating" years where I had sex with a guy Friday night, again on Saturday morning, and sometimes one more time before leaving Saturday afternoon. The instructions for 2+1+1 don't say when to start counting the 24-hour doses other than "after sex", and they don't really make it clear to keep going for 2 days after the LAST sexual activity. And of course, if you have sex more than 2-3 times a week, you might as well be on daily PrEP, because it's a hell of a lot easier to remember a pill every day than to calculate how many hours since the last fuck.

Hence the appeal of a shot that's one time and done for 2 months, especially if you have a conscientious health care provider who makes your next appointment while you're checking out from your current one (like mine does for my treatment, not for PrEP). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

The instructions for 2+1+1 don't say when to start counting the 24-hour doses ...

I always found those instructions to be frustratingly vague.  But, I see that the CDC site is finally more explicit:

The type of “on-demand” PrEP that has been studied is the “2-1-1” schedule. This means taking 2 pills 2-24 hours before sex, 1 pill 24 hours after the first dose, and 1 pill 24 hours after the second dose.

Although it provides information about "on-demand" PrEP use, the CDC doesn't recommend it (they don't seem to oppose it, either).

[think before following links] https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/prep/on-demand-prep.html

I always thought that you took the first two within 24 hours, 12 is better, before the encounter, then 1 every 24 hours until 48 hours after your last encounter.

Meaning, if you were to fuck Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, it would be best to take the first 2 Friday morning, then 1 every 24 hours through Tuesday night.

Is that not correct?