Sanitize your toys

bbinbpark

Usually just soap and water, but more careful on the vibrating one and the plug-in spots or battery chamber.  I let them air dry before packing away in individual plastic wrappers. No good to pack them touching as some can react with others.

Also, sometimes I will use Vodka as an alcohol cleaner.  Just seems like it may be better than rubbing alcohol ( I just have to refrain from licking them dry).

Finally, remember not to use a silicon lube on a silicon toy as the toy will absorb it and be painfully dry to pull out of you. If you use a silicon lube, put a condom on the toy first.  Way better.

It's really going to vary by the material the toy is made from.

Toys made of stainless steel and those made of silicone rubber can be washed in the dishwasher and that's probably the best way to get them thoroughly clean. You can always wash them with soap and water first, and then just run them through on the top rack (by themselves, it goes without saying!). 

I wouldn't do that with things made of other materials, or anything with electrical/battery parts inside. In such cases, hot soapy water (with a soft scrub brush, if need be) and then wipe down with alcohol. After that - if they're small enough to fit in a plastic bag (Glad, Ziploc, etc.) that'll help keep them clean and keep different material toys from reacting with each other. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Some toys can be very difficult to thoroughly sanitize, particularly ones made with any kind of porous material. Even dildoes that would otherwise seem quite smooth and solid may have minute voids in the surface left over from bubbles that formed during molding, and these voids may trap and hold material that you may have to carefully remove.

For toys/equipment for use in play that requires sterility - for instance, sounds to be inserted into the urethra, simple soap and water aren’t sufficient. You need to use some method to absolutely ensure hygiene, such as boiling, steaming, or other methods that assure complete microbial eradication. Some might decide that such measures are overkill, but the bottom line is that you’re rolling the dice on infection.

• Upvote 1

On 8/11/2022 at 2:35 PM, Goldneye007 said:

Also, sometimes I will use Vodka as an alcohol cleaner.  Just seems like it may be better than rubbing alcohol ( I just have to refrain from licking them dry).

🙂

Not so "silly" me thinks.

Pulling from my nursing/science knowledge/experience.

If the idea is to get rid of pathogens, there are two things that can be done.  Killing and/or removing them.  

Soap and water is more in the direction of removing pathogens. It's a standard for wound care. Using "disinfectant" on a wound can also 'kill' the bodies own defense mechanisms, so antibiotics and disinfectants are reserved for infection when the bodies defense/repair mechanisms may be overwhelmed.  Dish soap and water are very effective for lifting and removing pathogens away from a surface.

Chemicals like alcohol or bleach kill some pathogens, but not others. Peroxide is a great surface disinfectant, our bodies actually make peroxide.  Of course, chemicals can also damage some toys. 

Heat does not kill everything, nor does cold. Alcohol doesn't kill everything, bleach is pretty broad spectrum, as is a quatricide, but again, runs the risk of damaging toys, and also want to make sure they are completely rinsed as you don't want those chemicals inside your body. 

Personally, i go the direction of removing pathogens (soap and water) vs killing bacteria or destroying virus. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, tallslenderguy said:

Dish soap and water are very effective for lifting and removing pathogens away from a surface.

Also, a good detergent ("grease cutting" dish soap, for example) can itself be a germicide, because it can destroy the integrity of bacterial cell membranes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tallslenderguy said:

Not so "silly" me thinks.

Pulling from my nursing/science knowledge/experience.

If the idea is to get rid of pathogens, there are two things that can be done.  Killing and/or removing them.  

Soap and water is more in the direction of removing pathogens. It's a standard for wound care. Using "disinfectant" on a wound can also 'kill' the bodies own defense mechanisms, so antibiotics and disinfectants are reserved for infection when the bodies defense/repair mechanisms may be overwhelmed.  Dish soap and water are very effective for lifting and removing pathogens away from a surface.

Chemicals like alcohol or bleach kill some pathogens, but not others. Peroxide is a great surface disinfectant, our bodies actually make peroxide.  Of course, chemicals can also damage some toys. 

Heat does not kill everything, nor does cold. Alcohol doesn't kill everything, bleach is pretty broad spectrum, as is a quatricide, but again, runs the risk of damaging toys, and also want to make sure they are completely rinsed as you don't want those chemicals inside your body. 

Personally, i go the direction of removing pathogens (soap and water) vs killing bacteria or destroying virus. 

So to sum it up, if I poured alcohol over my toy, flambéed it, doused the flames in boiling soapy water and put it afterwards in the freezer, I'd be on the safe side? 😇😉