I don't understand the desire to get pozzed

btmdad

2 hours ago, btmdad said:

Why would someone want to get pozzed?  

Let me preface this with a statement that I'm not endorsing any of these potential reasons. They are, instead, quick recaps of things that people have said and posted online here (and elsewhere).

1. Some people believe in the fantasy of a "brotherhood" - that sharing a disease connects you to other guys who have the same disease, creating some sort of bond. It's horsecrap, of course, but some people really do have this fantasy idea of a sort of toxic Elks Club, where getting pozzed is your initiation into increased levels of debauchery. It's true there are a handful of sex parties, etc. that are only open to positive men - but it's not like there is a shortage of events to have sex at for guys in general. (Shortage of participants you're interested in and who are interested back, maybe.)

2. At one time, some sexually active guys who hated condoms figured it was going to happen to them sooner or later, and they wanted it sooner because then they could stop worrying about each sexual encounter. I think this attitude picked up considerably once highly effective treatments debuted about 15 or 20 years ago, and then has waned somewhat with the advent and widespread use of PrEP.

3. Some guys viewed it as an element in a domination/submission world - where some guys submit enough to a dominant guy that he infects them as part of his demonstrating his dominance.

As any number of people will attest here, the idea that it's no big deal because you just take one pill a day for the rest of your life and you'll be fine is bullshit. There are all sorts of increased health risks and things you have to monitor if you're poz (unless you have a death wish, that is). Which I suppose would be #4: people who just want to get life over with, fast.

There's a lot of discussion about the appeal of being poz and chasing getting pozzed in the Backroom area. This, however, is the health forum. The site allows some discussion about personal experiences regarding the upsides of being poz here - something I have mixed feelings about, myself - but any discussions encouraging people to get pozzed belong in the Backroom area, not here.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

In my case; I like the thrill of danger and feeling getting used as the ultimate bareback submissive cumdump... I'd rather do it without the Poz consequences.
Therefor the path with Prep and without the consequences of becoming Poz and still being able to play hard is of course the logical and safer way to go.
I am a bit afraid that with Prep, you're kind of cheating and therefor the thrill of danger is a lot diminished...

Regarding the above post from @BootmanLA...
I agree with point 2 and 3 [for myself] and agree that the "belonging to the Poz club" - point 1 is a real silly one. But that is my own opinion.

Edited by ffWhole
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I watched far too many wonderful men die a slow and agonizing death from AIDS.  There's nothing romantic about it. There's been considerable progress mde re treatment of HIV, but even the best prescriptions have serious consequences. I'm hopeful most of the boasts and bravado on this site are just people talking. For one, I do not want HIV or AIDS. 

• Upvote 7

I never understood this either. It is not something I ever intentionally sought out, unfortunately I did not take enough precautions. PREP is readily available to most people now, so there is really no reason to take the risks I took.

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2023 at 12:56 AM, BootmanLA said:

Let me preface this with a statement that I'm not endorsing any of these potential reasons. They are, instead, quick recaps of things that people have said and posted online here (and elsewhere).

1. Some people believe in the fantasy of a "brotherhood" - that sharing a disease connects you to other guys who have the same disease, creating some sort of bond. It's horsecrap, of course, but some people really do have this fantasy idea of a sort of toxic Elks Club, where getting pozzed is your initiation into increased levels of debauchery. It's true there are a handful of sex parties, etc. that are only open to positive men - but it's not like there is a shortage of events to have sex at for guys in general. (Shortage of participants you're interested in and who are interested back, maybe.)

2. At one time, some sexually active guys who hated condoms figured it was going to happen to them sooner or later, and they wanted it sooner because then they could stop worrying about each sexual encounter. I think this attitude picked up considerably once highly effective treatments debuted about 15 or 20 years ago, and then has waned somewhat with the advent and widespread use of PrEP.

3. Some guys viewed it as an element in a domination/submission world - where some guys submit enough to a dominant guy that he infects them as part of his demonstrating his dominance.

As any number of people will attest here, the idea that it's no big deal because you just take one pill a day for the rest of your life and you'll be fine is bullshit. There are all sorts of increased health risks and things you have to monitor if you're poz (unless you have a death wish, that is). Which I suppose would be #4: people who just want to get life over with, fast.

There's a lot of discussion about the appeal of being poz and chasing getting pozzed in the Backroom area. This, however, is the health forum. The site allows some discussion about personal experiences regarding the upsides of being poz here - something I have mixed feelings about, myself - but any discussions encouraging people to get pozzed belong in the Backroom area, not here.

Well said

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:15 PM, btmdad said:

Why would someone want to get pozzed?  

Probably because people go around asking questions like “why would someone want to get pozzed”.

Some people are turned on by the concept of being sexually extreme. When people go around clutching their pearls like this, it gives those people an objective.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3

I hate being poz.

I hate having to take that fucking pill every day for the rest of my life.

I hate that the pill I have to take every day to save my life is $100 each!

I hate I have to worry about health insurance without which I would have to pay nearly $36,000 per year for a fucking pill. 

I hate having to go to the doctor multiple times per year to watch my blood levels to see if any of my organs are starting to fail from the drug or the disease.

I hate watching my body age faster than expected and the doctors not knowing if its the virus or the meds.

I hate I had to watch my best friend die because ALL meds finally stopped working and he had to die alone from Hodgkins lymphoma in the hospital because during COVID no one could visit.

I hate watching my husband battle a god-damned rare disease which affects men with "well-controlled" HIV disproportionately and wonder if his next flare up will kill him.

I hate the sympathy/pity from others when discussing my health.

I hate the discrimination from men who won't have sex with poz guys even though I am undetectable and can't transmit it to them.

I hate not understanding why someone wants this.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, hairyone said:

I hate being poz.

I hate having to take that fucking pill every day for the rest of my life.

I hate that the pill I have to take every day to save my life is $100 each!

I hate I have to worry about health insurance without which I would have to pay nearly $36,000 per year for a fucking pill. 

I hate having to go to the doctor multiple times per year to watch my blood levels to see if any of my organs are starting to fail from the drug or the disease.

I hate watching my body age faster than expected and the doctors not knowing if its the virus or the meds.

I hate I had to watch my best friend die because ALL meds finally stopped working and he had to die alone from Hodgkins lymphoma in the hospital because during COVID no one could visit.

I hate watching my husband battle a god-damned rare disease which affects men with "well-controlled" HIV disproportionately and wonder if his next flare up will kill him.

I hate the sympathy/pity from others when discussing my health.

I hate the discrimination from men who won't have sex with poz guys even though I am undetectable and can't transmit it to them.

I hate not understanding why someone wants this.

I wish I was not HIV poz as well. 
But maybe I’m the lucky one. I take that same one pill and it does not bother me. I am relatively healthy, especially for someone being in the 60 range. 
I’ve never had any flare ups. I never wanted hiv/aids and wish I could get rid of it, but the only difference in my life because of hiv is my relaxed sexual habit. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Likesitnasty said:

Probably because people go around asking questions like “why would someone want to get pozzed”.

Some people are turned on by the concept of being sexually extreme. When people go around clutching their pearls like this, it gives those people an objective.

It’s not clutching our fucking pearls to wonder why men whom we might potentially fuck want to become incubators for a disease that makes fucking a deadly hazard. Wanting a disease is crazy, by any sane standard. It’s not strange that any normal, rational person would look at gifter/chaser culture and think, ‘those guys are insane’. There is not a single justification for wanting to contract HIV that stands up to rational scrutiny. Every excuse is based on some fevered fetish or fantasy that ignores, glosses over, minimizes or denies some basic truth about the consequences of becoming infected with the Enemy Virus.

Calling it ‘being sexually extreme’ is just another delusion. I’ve done sexually extreme, in diverse ways that most guys would justifiably think anyone would be out of his mind to allow, and sexually extreme doesn’t look like this. This is just nuts.

Their ‘brotherhood’ is a brotherhood of the misguided, and I can say that as one with more goddamn credentials to join than anybody would ever need. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ErosWired said:

There is not a single justification for wanting to contract HIV that stands up to rational scrutiny. Every excuse...

Of course not. Nevertheless, there exist people who do want that (at some level or another). And it is perfectly rational and reasonable for the OP and the rest of us (including, I expect, some of the bug chasers) to wonder "why?" "What is the nature of that insanity?"  "Where does it come from?"  "Could it happen to me?"

Because justification and rationalization are all well and good, but at the end of the day we are all glorified monkeys and reason and civilization are a thin veneer.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, viking8x6 said:

Of course not. Nevertheless, there exist people who do want that (at some level or another). And it is perfectly rational and reasonable for the OP and the rest of us (including, I expect, some of the bug chasers) to wonder "why?" "What is the nature of that insanity?"  "Where does it come from?"  "Could it happen to me?"

Because justification and rationalization are all well and good, but at the end of the day we are all glorified monkeys and reason and civilization are a thin veneer.

Exactly.  My body my choice.

• Like 1