I don't understand the desire to get pozzed

btmdad

14 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

Well, not in the west, at least. There are still places in the world where treatment is scarce and it's still a huge problem.

And to the extent we're not dying in droves, it's because of a lot of work. We take medication every single day. We often watch that medication gradually shred some other part of our biology - our kidneys, our livers, whatever.

I'm all for a message that says "If you become poz, it doesn't have to be the end of the world." I'm very much opposed to the message being "It's not a big deal because if you become poz, you can just take one pill a day and nothing changes."

To me, that second message sounds almost like Big Pharma telling people not to worry about prevention because if something happens, we've got you. At a cost of $2-3K a month for the rest of your life, that is. 

Isn't prep just as expensive? I am not advocating for chasing but either way if you are out here fucking raw you are going to have to take meds either way whether it's for prevention or treatment.

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Opensesame said:

Prep is free in the US. 

Only if you have insurance, and I am quite sure insurance would cover the cost of hiv treatment as well

I used to be terrified of pozing (and kind of still am) but the bottom line is if you want to fuck, you got to be on meds (that could potentially cause side effects) either way

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Guest50 said:

Isn't prep just as expensive? I am not advocating for chasing but either way if you are out here fucking raw you are going to have to take meds either way whether it's for prevention or treatment.

Prep is not as expensive as HAART treatment that suppresses an active infection. It's some of the same drugs, but not all of them.

2 hours ago, Opensesame said:

Prep is free in the US. 

Prep is NOT free. It may be provided to people in the US free of charge to the end-user, but it certainly costs a substantial amount of money, and that money comes from somewhere. In the US, that's mostly health care premiums.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Guest50 said:

You still have to take a pill consistently, which isn't much different.

That one part of being HIV+ is similar to PrEP, yes. The other parts - the constant monitoring of all sorts of bodily functions for signs that your HIV medication is ruining your kidneys, or your liver, or any of a number of other things, is much less of an issue under PrEP than HIV treatment. That's just one way, among many, that the two are very much not the same.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Opensesame said:

the topic is about an individuals burden, not a country. 

This is true, but again, there are a significant number of people in this country who do not have health insurance, and for them, PrEP is not free (unless they qualify for some program sponsored by their state or by the drug manufacturer).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

This is true, but again, there are a significant number of people in this country who do not have health insurance, and for them, PrEP is not free (unless they qualify for some program sponsored by their state or by the drug manufacturer).

Well if they don’t have insurance, than HIV treatment and possible hospitalization will cost dearly, too.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Opensesame said:

Well if they don’t have insurance, than HIV treatment and possible hospitalization will cost dearly, too.

Not necessarily. In most states, there are programs that pay the health insurance premiums for uninsured persons who become HIV+ (part of the Ryan White Act funding). For instance, in Louisiana, if you have an income low enough to qualify for our expanded Medicaid program (basically, less than $17,000/year), you'll get enrolled on expanded Medicaid with copays, etc. covered by the program. If you make between that amount and (roughly) $48,000, they will pay for a silver-level individual plan on the federal marketplace - here, it's almost certainly going to be Blue Cross - as well as coverage for dental. They also cover the copays, deductible, and out-of-pocket max under the individual policy.

The program covers the individual policy even in some cases where the person could get coverage through his work, depending on what percentage of the person's income would have to go to pay for the employer-sponsored plan.

I'm sure the details vary from state to state but I am pretty sure every state has something similar for HIV+ people. Providing that coverage, which encourages people to become undetectable, is a key part of the federal government's efforts to control the spread of HIV, which (along with PrEP) is one reason new infections have fallen so dramatically over the last 15-20 years.

Again, of course that's talking about cost to the individual, not the cost to the government or the system. As they say, there isn't any such thing as a free lunch. But in terms of costs, an HIV- uninsured person may not be able to access PrEP cheaply or free; an HIV+ uninsured person can almost certainly get insured at no cost, at least in the United States.

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2023 at 11:38 AM, ErosWired said:

No one questions that men have the right to make this choice with their bodies. We only question whether they’re in their right minds when they make it.

‘My body, my choice’ sounds like a statement of responsibility. But how many of these guys who actually do this are following through with the responsibility that comes with their choice? What about the responsibility for the cost of their medication if they start it (it’s expensive, and somebody, somewhere, has to cover it)? What about the cost of their inevitable hospitalization if they don’t? What about the burden their failing health may place on their families and friends?

What about the lives they may forever change by ‘passing on the gift’ to someone unsuspecting, who will not be given a choice? Because the boards are sickeningly full of statements by men who say they stealth breed men with ‘toxic cum’. There are all too many gifter/chaser guys who get off on that - ‘my body, my choice’, but not ‘his body, his choice’.

Here’s the choice I’ve made - I choose to believe that the man who pozzed me did not know he was infected. I choose to believe he was not a HVL gifter who stepped up to my cunt and smugly, intentionally, pumped me full of the corruption that wrecked my life. Because if I believed that, it would blacken my view of humanity and leave me an angry, bitter, hostile man.

I have no idea who my poz daddy was.  When I started taking loads it was because. I liked bareback sex way better after having sex with condoms.  When I was a teen condoms were only thought of as pregnancy prevention. Then came HIV and AIDS.  Many " rubbered up"  some didn't-- some condoms failed. Then came meds-- very expensive meds. Then came PReP- very expensive. PReP.  Then the goverment forced health insurance to cover HIV meds -- then PReP; health insurance became  very expensive and heaven forbid you got caught up in the pre-existing condition hell.

NOW---- government/ insurance will pay for PReP.  If you are POZ government will pay for both your insurances and your meds.  BUT government is prone to change its mind and drop us like a hot potatoe.  Example -- abortion.  Some are even talking about dumping social security and Medicare.  Anti gay marriage is back-- telling trans kids they can't use ANY RESTROOM!  I could go on and on. 

A friend suggested to seek out "conservative" girls and knock them up or "conservative " boys and poz them up.  Unless the "conservatives" feel the pinch of life they won't give a shit about YOUR life.  

Just remember--- those that have money don't want you to have any money. So as far as sex is concerned just say no------- yeah right.

Getting HIV is (at the moment) a permanent condition which requires lifelong treatments. And we can't always count on others who pay, in America and the rest of the world. I respect people who became positive for real, everyone has their own reason and I think that if one has made this decision, they've already thought of it enough; did they talk to counselors, to therapists and doctors... They nowadays know the possible choices and behave accordingly and in front of such a decision we have to stop and respect - that doesn't mean share or approve, but respect someone who thinks differently from us, has opposite values than us. 

I don't think that an affirmation like this could work: "you do it because your country can (still) afford treatments, what if tomorrow they won't"... 

There are many factors involved, making a wannabe "bug chaser" feel guilty talking about future of treatment does not do the trick to change their mind, honestly I think people don't consider "the future" in many ways... Including voting for politicians whose intention is to interrupt sexual freedom... so... 

Anyway people to be scared of the most, aren't chasers and gifters but all those underground folks who never test and go spread it around without knowing, and if possible, lecturing others about morality and so on.

Fuck, I've been repressing what's called "HIV fetish" for years, I've spent more than a decade, let's say 20 years at least, wondering why I got sexually excited from the idea of transmitting a permanent infection to someone; I was still negative and secretly fantasized of giving it to my partner... And when I got the real HIV I felt dirty, guilty and dangerous. Infection completely unwanted. 

My journey to accept my status (kinks included) has been long and difficult, many overwhelming emotions and events, to find the conclusion that mine is simply a "biological bond fetish" which found its revelation in HIV. 

Psy said it was due to my very bad relationship with my biological father, but after trying to forgive him, then closing up again due to his homophobia, and his death at beginning of this year, has made me realize life without him is better. 

HIV _would_ be a way to be linked biologically to someone you choose? This is my reason for this kink but then? What's next? 

"people you choose", in the real world, means nothing because life changes and relationships can develop in unexpected ways so, if you have the responsibility of giving such an infection to someone, whenever the relation changes for the worst, what might be a "permanent biological bond romantically or friendly chosen" might become worse than the worst abusive parent-child or siblings relationship - with even legal implications. 

It's not worth it! 

So, I always thank Breeding Zone for technology and meds for science, to have given me THE GIFT of openly confronting my fantasy with roleplay on Internet with _many_ neg guys having fun with me, and in real life my boyfriend playing along with me, having bareback sex, and my undetectable status keeps him safe. Fantasy and role play do not harm, but it's essential to distinguish FANTASY and DESIRE. 

For giving and receiving HIV, in my own experience, fantasy is OK, desire (wanting to make it real) isn't appropriate at all. 

A hug to anyone has, or has had, fun with me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Opensesame said:

the topic is about an individuals burden, not a country. 

There is no such thing as a “country’s burden”. The country is a compilation of individuals who share a common burden, and thus the burden of a nation is the burden of every citizen. Doubly so, in fact - the citizen bears the burden of shaping the direction and character of the nation, and bears the burden of responsibility for the nation’s actions. If they do not bear a cost individually, and the nation covers the cost, it’s because other individuals are paying, not because the monolithic nation creates money by magic out of nothing. And what comes around goes around; the individual might not pay for this, but he will pay his share that gets spent in someone else. All the money of a nation is spent on people, by people, and those decisions are made by individuals - who, in democratic societies, are elected by individuals.

You cannot speak of this issue in terms of any individual bearing no cost or responsibility.

I got my latest 90-day supply of HAART yesterday, with a bill of $0.00. But I know how much I pay in health insurance, and I know how very expensive this medicine is, and I always have the sense that somewhere, a lot of someone’s money is in motion on my behalf. That’s a burden I personally bear.

Edited by ErosWired