Steamworks Chicago

Bottom Jim

What’s with this ridiculous rule of no bags though.  I mean I went last year during IML got denied entry.  Isn’t that want lockers are for!? 

I was so pissed as much as I want to go I need to bring things with me, so I’ll likely never try to go back.  What a dumb rule. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 7:51 AM, hungry_hole said:

I like Steamworks Toronto because it's in a modern building with nice cleaning facilities. The doors of the rooms are solid and with great locks, almost like a hotel.

Are all Steamworks bathhouses the same style? In Chicago and San Francisco?

Toronto has a steamworks and it is modern, clean and has great rooms. It was previously a different bath house. Steamworks took over about 20 years ago and spared no expense. It's competitor, Spa XS, a few blocks away is also great. Modern, clean and well maintained

Its nice to have choices

The Steamworks in Seattle and Vanvouver are also similar to the Chicago and Toronto locations with Seattle’s being the least well-kept IMHO but still nice with secure doors to rooms etc.  All of my visits occurred pre-pandenmic (~2016-2019) except Toronto which occurred since pandemic  

My most recent attempt I got denied at Chicago because I had an ibuprofen bottle open. It also had my generic OTC Zyrtec in it. The guy said Id need an Rx and i said no one has Rx for OTC,  and Im a tourist, its common for tourists to have these items. DENIED! Now they ban all bags? jeesh!  I do get the liability issues but no bags seems a bit much. Maybe they could’ve done the “clear bags only” rule like at stadiums and schools. That’d be kinda fun and talk about advertising where youre headed! 

Edited by DCWildBtm
Correct typo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DCWildBtm said:

The Steamworks in Seattle and Vanvouver are also similar to the Chicago and Toronto locations with Seattle’s being the least well-kept IMHO but still nice with secure doors to rooms etc.  All of my visits occurred pre-pandenmic (~2016-2019) except Toronto which occurred since pandemic  

My most recent attempt I got denied at Chicago because I had an ibuprofen bottle open. It also had my generic OTC Zyrtec in it. The guy said Id need an Rx and i said no one has Rx for OTC,  and Im a tourist, its common for tourists to have these items. DENIED! Now they ban all bags? jeesh!  I do get the liability issues but no bags seems a bit much. Maybe they could’ve done the “clear bags only” rule like at stadiums and schools. That’d be kinda fun and talk about advertising where youre headed! 

I haven't been to a bath house since before covid but restricting all bags is draconian.  When visiting to Toronto I would often use Spa XS as a hotel room...Relatively cheap and you could pay for 8 or 12 hour stays...Id bring a bag with clothes, toiletries and even my Biktarvy  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DCWildBtm said:

The last time I was at Steamworks in Seattle I went to their 1st post pandemic Cumunion party. They no longer had a steam room. It had been replaced with a posing room that, if I remember right contained 3 slings for bottoms to pose in. There was still some pent up sexual energy left over from the pandemic, and some actual fucking taking place elsewhere in the facility, which was highly unusual even for Cumumion parties there.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 5:40 PM, S2S said:

What a dumb rule

Look at it from the management's point of view:  If some guys are bringing in illegal stuff, the place could get shut down.  I'd lay you 10 to 1 that's the reason .... 

8 hours ago, Marlin said:

Steamworks took over about 20 years ago

Same thing happened in Chicago.  What is now Steamworks was orginally the Unicorn tubs.  For some reason Unicorn didn't last long at all, and Steamworks picked up a perfectly good fuckjoint, and made it even better.  Sounds like the same business-model to me.

• Upvote 1

There was a reason the Unicorn didn't last a long time. It catered to only twinks and very young muscle guys. I remember going in in the mid 90's and as I guy in his mid 40's who though not a muscle god was trim and at least IMHO  not too bad looking was made to feel very unwelcome by not only the clientele but the staff. Once Steamworks bought the place that changed immediately.  Basically the entire staff was canned and everyone not matter, age, body type or any other trait was made to feel welcome. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

Look at it from the management's point of view:  If some guys are bringing in illegal stuff, the place could get shut down.  I'd lay you 10 to 1 that's the reason .... 

listen I get it but maybe make the rule a little bigger on their website.  I took an Uber from the other side of the city which wasn’t cheap and I was pissed I got there and denied entry.  

In my opinion with a place like that where you would expect a rule out of the ordinary to apply perhaps make it more pronounced.  

I like to bring toiletries, an extra towel, sometimes a change of clothes.  Had I known I would have left it all at home.  I wasn’t about to go home unpack and head back out. I can’t explain how annoyed I was that night!  

Not to mention there was security, why couldn’t they search my bag to see nothing  illegal?! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, myDNA4u said:

Once Steamworks bought the place that changed immediately.  Basically the entire staff was canned and everyone not matter, age, body type or any other trait was made to feel welcome. 

Well, there have been rumor's that Steamworks Chicago has denied entry to men >= 60 in the past few years.

Edited by fuckholedc

4 hours ago, S2S said:

listen I get it but maybe make the rule a little bigger on their website.  I took an Uber from the other side of the city which wasn’t cheap and I was pissed I got there and denied entry.  

In my opinion with a place like that where you would expect a rule out of the ordinary to apply perhaps make it more pronounced.  

I like to bring toiletries, an extra towel, sometimes a change of clothes.  Had I known I would have left it all at home.  I wasn’t about to go home unpack and head back out. I can’t explain how annoyed I was that night!  

Not to mention there was security, why couldn’t they search my bag to see nothing  illegal?! 

In the past (like within the past 2 years or so) Steamworks Chicago did search bags.  Also at some point the bag had to be clear although that could be in another bag.  I was luckily permitted entry on a layover flight from Europe.  But they seem to change their rules fairly frequently.