Any LGBT+ Republican individual out here?

tonio

By breathtakingly awful Senator Kennedy means he had to squirm in his seat as much as Speaker Johnson, everytime the president talked about a policy that was closer to the traditional Republican position, than what a MAGA politician in good standing dares to mutter. Watching Johnson squirm repeatedly while Biden spoke, just reminded me how far to the left of the Democratic Party the MAGA Party has gone in numerous policy areas.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, NWUSHorny said:

Watching Johnson squirm repeatedly while Biden spoke, just reminded me how far to the left of the Democratic Party the MAGA Party has gone in numerous policy areas.

"left"... say WHAT?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, viking8x6 said:

"left"... say WHAT?

On foreign policy across the board and trade the MAGA Party is far to the left of the Democratic Party if we use the 2015 right/left spectrum. Johnson looked like he wanted to crawl under a rock every time those came up in the SOTU.

• Upvote 3

Thanks @NWUSHorny; a flaw in my left/right thinking.  Truly better to refer to parties by name, D vs R as left/right is contextual.  

What frustrates me most about Republicans these days is that they think they are very clever when they assert that border issues are the fault of the Democrats.  The fault IMO lays at whomever is blocking presently; which is the Republicans.  It exposes the worst elements of "politics" when viewed in derisive terms.  We collectively hired these people to craft and pass legislation, and to ensure a smooth running nation.  Rather than do that our politicians fuck us; the people who elected them.  

This feels very much like what I felt in the 1960's as a coming of age young man.  It felt as though our society was breaking apart.  We had growing frustration about the ill advised Viet Nam conflict; Significant scientific breakthroughs starting (organ replacement, Polio finally contained; The Bomb....; atrocities of our military against citizens aka Kent State.   In short order in the 70's us queers asserting ourselves, Nixon debacle,  

And now we have large numbers of our fellow citizens believing utter falsehoods by one historically corrupt politician.  And that boggles my mind.  The man would never pay us if he hired any of us to get something done for him.  And yet one supports that?  Wants that behavior in our chief executive?  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Nude said:

Senator Kennedy is an embarrassment to the Senate.

But beyond that, did you really expect that any Republican member of Congress was going to say anything good about a speech by a Democratic president? Biden could make a speech announcing that the sun rises in the east and the Republicans would scream that he's being petty and vindictive to all the MAGA people who live in the west.

The Republicans are no longer a serious party; they are a cult, enslaved to worshipping their last president, and committed only to opposing whatever it is Democrats - and Americans in general - want. Solid majorities of Americans across the country want abortion to remain legal at least in the first few months of a pregnancy, but the Republicans are committed to banning the procedure entirely. Solid majorities of Americans want sensible gun control, but the Republicans (aided, sadly, by some Democrats) won't even consider anything. Solid majorities favor raising taxes on the wealthy, but... I could go on and on, but the bottom line is, the Republicans no longer support what the country wants, in any meaningful way.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, PozBearWI said:

Truly better to refer to parties by name, D vs R as left/right is contextual.  

Since this current abomination of a party bears little resemblance to the Republican Party of old, I've taken to referring to it as the MAGA Party. Basically, regardless of whether it was previously considered right of left, His Orange Hindness has gathered every discredited political idea of the past century under his MAGA banner and rejected every idea that made the old GOP a viable party in the modern era along with most of its history. The MAGA party may be based on multiple grievances, but it is fully controlled by a single individual that has convinced the aggrieved that he alone is the only one who can get the world to atone.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, PozBearWI said:

This feels very much like what I felt in the 1960's as a coming of age young man.  It felt as though our society was breaking apart.  We had growing frustration about the ill advised Viet Nam conflict; Significant scientific breakthroughs starting (organ replacement, Polio finally contained; The Bomb....; atrocities of our military against citizens aka Kent State.   In short order in the 70's us queers asserting ourselves, Nixon debacle

To my sorrow, I completely agree.  It does feel the same now as it did then. 

I watched Kent State happen on tv, threatened to run away if my parents didn't let me ride the Freedom Busses to the protests in the Southern States.  LBJ, that disgusting Sec'y of Defense McNamara, that misguided Westmoreland, the entire cesspool of "Containment".  The President offered draftee's a deferment if they would take a teaching degree as well as whatever they were really interested in, which is when I found out I had little use for children, but I did it for the deferment. 

At least it was honest, unlike the life-long-liar with the orange shit smeared all over his face.  If he really did have bone spurs, it would take more than a heavy-duty golf cart to drag his corpulent ass around a golf course. 

On 3/8/2024 at 9:25 AM, Nude said:

Kennedy's reaction is "unvarnished?"   The tree hasn't even been felled, or left the forest, let alone been refined and turned into a piece of useful, functional furniture that one would apply varnish to.  His entire response is insubstantial drivel. All he does is recite a list of emotional trigger phrases, a recipe  to feed mindlessness, not nurture "fair minded Americans."

• Upvote 2

On 3/5/2024 at 7:07 PM, barefucker44 said:

I stand behind my comments.  I dont have to prove them to you.  Do your own research and do so.  Most of the gay people I know believe in Republican or conservative values.  It is well established fact that the modern democratic party as witnessed in the Biden admin is destroying America.

Anyone can "stand behind" their own comments.  What does that actually mean though?  In this case it means one anonymous contributor on a discussion forum making claims.  It carries the weight and force of "one anonymous contributor on a discussion forum making claims."  In debate, the burden of proof typically lies with the person making the claim.

"Shifting of the Burden of Proof

onus probandi

(also known as: burden of proof [general concept], burden of proof fallacy, misplaced burden of proof, shifting the burden of proof)

Description: Making a claim that needs justification, then demanding that the opponent justifies the opposite of the claim. The burden of proof is a legal and philosophical concept with differences in each domain. In everyday debate, the burden of proof typically lies with the person making the claim, but it can also lie with the person denying a well-established fact or theory. Like other non-black and white issues, there are instances where this is clearly fallacious, and those which are not as clear."

[think before following links] https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Shifting-of-the-Burden-of-Proof

If you were making a claim like: "the Pacific Ocean is full of water," that would be a "well established fact" that pretty much no one would have to research to accept, because it truly is a "well established fact."  

"Most of the gay people i know believe in Republican or conservative values."  Coming from a self defined conservative Republican, that's sort of like a church going Christian saying: "most of the Christians I know believe in Jesus."  That mostly establishes one's ethnocentricity, not a universal reality.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, tallslenderguy said:

Kennedy's reaction is "unvarnished?"   The tree hasn't even been felled, or left the forest, let alone been refined and turned into a piece of useful, functional furniture that one would apply varnish to.  His entire response is insubstantial drivel. All he does is recite a list of emotional trigger phrases, a recipe  to feed mindlessness, not nurture "fair minded Americans."

The sad thing is that Kennedy is completely putting on an act. I've been around him (not close, but certainly close enough to hear him speak, regularly, for decades) and this Foghorn Leghorn hillbilly act is completely made-up. He went to Vanderbilt University for his undergraduate work, UVA for his law degree, and also got a Bachelor of Civil Law degree from OXFORD - the one in England, not the one in Mississippi - for god's sake. He always had a southern accent, but nothing like this affected drawl he drags out (pun intended) in the Senate. It's not even just a political thing - he was deeply involved in state politics without this affectation from 1987 forward.

• Upvote 5

@BootmanLA that accent to some extent has been adopted nationwide by the rural political right, it isn't just a southern thing nor is it limited to politicians. It has become a sort of identifier for them. I find it particularly disconcerting when I hear someone from Wisconsin or Minnesota (I know one from each state) that I have known for years using it.

• Like 1