There have been 12 confirmed cases the Monkey Pox Virus within the last 48 hours in Melbourne. 

Can confirm Alma Park, Brimbank Park and Wet on Wellington are 3 locations of significant transmission.

If you have not already had both vaccinations required for immunity from MPOX, you may want to consider this as an option to keep yourself and others in the community safe. 

There will be more information about where to get vaccinations within the next 48 hours as DDHS coordinate a response and action plan. 

This is currently privileged information and I believe media have not yet been advised while a response is being coordinated as well as to minimise panic in the community however am told media will be be briefed within the next 24 hours .

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

This outbreak seems to be ongoing still. As of 4 July, 61 mpox cases have been notified in Victoria since April 2024.

Planning to be there in August and was hoping to get used the whole time in a few locations and saunas, so a bit of a worry.

Am vaccinated at least, but not sure of the efficacy of that vaccine, but hopefully it won’t slow me down to much!!

@monkey2712, two doses seem to be reasonably effective: [think before following links] https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/mpox/cases-data/JYNNEOS-vaccine-effectiveness.html. If someone who has been properly vaccinated does get symptoms, they may be milder than for unvaccinated people. 

You could always chat to a doctor, but I’m not letting the low risk of mpox interfere with my sex life!

1 hour ago, barebackbro said:

@monkey2712, two doses seem to be reasonably effective: [think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/mpox/cases-data/JYNNEOS-vaccine-effectiveness.html. If someone who has been properly vaccinated does get symptoms, they may be milder than for unvaccinated people. 

You could always chat to a doctor, but I’m not letting the low risk of mpox interfere with my sex life!

Nice thanks for the info, may see you there…

18 hours ago, monkey2712 said:

This outbreak seems to be ongoing still. As of 4 July, 61 mpox cases have been notified in Victoria since April 2024.

Planning to be there in August and was hoping to get used the whole time in a few locations and saunas, so a bit of a worry.

Am vaccinated at least, but not sure of the efficacy of that vaccine, but hopefully it won’t slow me down to much!!

Two of my friends have had MPOX. One before anyone knew it was happening, and one just a few weeks ago. Friend 1 had a MISERABLE time of it. It cleared after about two weeks, but he was unhappy and very uncomfortable the entire time. 

My more recent friend had a milder case and was back to normal in a few days. 

Your experience could be different, but it has the potential to really fuck you up. Be careful. I'd ask your doctor about whether you should have a booster.

Edited by Sfmike64
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sfmike64 said:

Two of my friends have had MPOX. One before anyone knew it was happening, and one just a few weeks ago. Friend 1 had a MISERABLE time of it. It cleared after about two weeks, but he was unhappy and very uncomfortable the entire time. 

My more recent friend had a milder case and was back to normal in a few days. 

Your experience could be different, but it has the potential to really fuck you up. Be careful. I'd ask your doctor about whether you should have a booster.

Have had one dose, the second is due just before traveling. So i should be as ready as possible, thanks for sharing their experience.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, monkey2712 said:

Have had one dose, the second is due just before traveling. So i should be as ready as possible, thanks for sharing their experience.

Note that the Mpox vaccine is not fully effective until two weeks after the second dose. I doubt you could schedule the second dose any sooner, but bear that in mind. It should provide at least SOME protection even if it's not fully "active".

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2