Discovering new music.

boywonder

I love music. Not just sex. :P

And I love to discover great bands/musicians that may not be famous yet. Anyone else share this interest?

Want to discuss your favorite "lesser-known" music acts?

I've got loads of bands I'd love to share with anyone who wants to expand their music archives.

My top five things in life.. in this order.

1. Music

2. Fucking

3. Fun!

4. Booze.

5. Smoke (420/cigs)

Not sure which genres you like but here are some of my favorite lesser known acts:

1. Dominique Young Unique - Indie Rap/Electro Beats. She's a lot of fun, and has a sound like no other. Similar to Rye Rye

2. MNDR - Very hip electro pop. Hacked synths and all sorts of coolness.

3. The Death Set - Just discovered these guys.. it's like Atari Teenage Riot meets Roxette, kinda. Fun, and upbeat.

4. Nicola Roberts - Super well known in the UK, she is part of Girls Aloud. Totally gay fun pop. Lucky Day (Produced by Dragonette) Beat of My Drum (produced by diplo) and Take a bite are my favorites off of her new album.

I'm full of all sorts of other stuff. right now I'm on a totally fun/pop kick.. :)

This is great! I'll be checking these out!

I'm rocking:

1. Gold Motel

2. GIVERS- In light

3. Fair- Disappearing World/The Best Worst Case Scenario

4. Deas Vail- Deas Vail

5. As Tall as Lions- You can't take it with you

6. Augustana- Augustana

7. Butch Walker- The spade

8. Colors in the Air- Mirror Mirror

9. The Dear Hunter- The Color Spectrum

10. Patrick Stump- Soul Punk

I like most all genre's of music from classic rock (Santana, Black Sabath), Alternative rock (Metallica, Linkin Park), Jazz and Classical. Mostly depends on what I am doing as to what I am listing to.

computer 3D graphics (classical, jazz)

working out (Alternative rock)

lounging (classic rock)

fucking (anything with a pounding beat) :-p

My tastes range far and wide, but I'm fond of what some may consider obscure. Many of these (chosen more or less at random) may be familiar to some, but perhaps not to all, and I think all of them are worth seeking out.

Brian Eno: The first four solo albums - "Here Come the Warm Jets" (1973), "Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)" (1974), "Another Green World" (1975, and a desert island disc for me) and "Before and After Science" (1977). Incredibly inventive pop music, with complex, punning lyrics that tell very odd stories.

Gruppo Sportivo: "10 Mistakes" (1977) - the first album by a Dutch band who attack American pop music conventions with gusto and humor (and indelibly catchy hooks).

The Homophones: Especially the two songs "Everyone's Dead" (the fast version featured in Bruce LaBruce's film "Otto, Or Up With Dead People) and "Malastrana Strut" (play it LOUD).

Scott Matthew: Quiet, introspective and very odd line scansion, but his music packs a lot of emotion. One of the artists featured in the film "Shortbus". Wish I still lived in NYC and could see him live.

Split Enz/Tim and Neil Finn/Crowded House: Just about anything. The early Enz albums are the most inventive and odd, but some of the Crowded House content is seriously great ("Better Be Home Soon" is a heartbreaker).

Michael Nyman: The soundtracks for Peter Greenaway's films (which are also brilliant): "The Draughtsman's Contract", "A Zed and Two Noughts", "Drowning By Numbers", "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" and "Prospero's Books". Mostly instrumental, using anything from a string trio to a full orchestra (although Sarah Leonard's amazing soprano is used to disturbing effect on "Zed and Two Noughts" - the first time I heard it, I couldn't believe it was a human voice). The "Masque" from "Prospero's Books" always gives me serious joy.

Marianne Faithfull: Her rather insipid early 60's stuff was eclipsed by her notoriety, but her savage comeback album "Broken English" reveled a powerful, time-ravaged voice full of rage. My personal favorite is a live performance of Kurt Weill music, "20th Century Blues" (1997).

Gisela May: A German singer, largely unknown in America. Seek out her recording of Weill's "Die Sieben Todsünden" (The Seven Deadly Sins) - it's a killer. Nicht wahr, Anna? Ja, Anna...

Oh - I forgot Wire's "I Am the Fly" (1978) - Savage guitars, great hooks, and of particular interest to chasers... I always played this on the jukebox at The Stud in NYC in the early 80's. How prescient of me!

"Crawling

Over your window you think I'm confused

I'm waiting for the divergent wasp

To complete my current ruse

You use a plate-glass screen

To protect my chosen target

But there's an air-pellet hole

I can crawl through to you

I am the fly in the ointment

I can spread more disease than the fleas

Which nibble away at your window display

Yes I am the fly in the ointment