If There Were A Cure...would There Be A Group Of People That Would Stay Positive

• 3 weeks later...

What if's are ok... But... I've spent too much of my life wasting time on what if situations. I will say this, however: I am very fortunate to have and ID doctor who is very much up to date on what is happening in the field of HIV study. He's ranked one of the top in the nation. When I asked him how soon a cure might be coming down the pike, he shook his head and said that he doubts there ever will be. At least in our life time. So........... I'm not even going to allow myself to think about the possibility. My meds are having no side effects on me. I'm healthier than I've been in years and life is great. I have HIV. But even tho I have it, it's not something I think about every day. Not even when I take the Truvada and Isentress in the morning and the Isentress again in the evening. I can't allow myself to wish I didn't have it, because wishing does nothing. It is what it is. I'll live my life one day at a time and enjoy what life has to offer. Things beyond my control? Fuck it. Not worth worrying or speculating about. It does no good. Ask me this question again if/when there is a cure. I can understand the curiosity of whether people will take it. But... I don't think it will be something that will happen in our lifetime. And that's sad for those in 3rd world countries dying from it every day. Those are the ones I feel for.

• Upvote 2

What if's are ok... But... I've spent too much of my life wasting time on what if situations. I will say this, however: I am very fortunate to have and ID doctor who is very much up to date on what is happening in the field of HIV study. He's ranked one of the top in the nation. When I asked him how soon a cure might be coming down the pike, he shook his head and said that he doubts there ever will be. At least in our life time. So........... I'm not even going to allow myself to think about the possibility. My meds are having no side effects on me. I'm healthier than I've been in years and life is great. I have HIV. But even tho I have it, it's not something I think about every day. Not even when I take the Truvada and Isentress in the morning and the Isentress again in the evening. I can't allow myself to wish I didn't have it, because wishing does nothing. It is what it is. I'll live my life one day at a time and enjoy what life has to offer. Things beyond my control? Fuck it. Not worth worrying or speculating about. It does no good. Ask me this question again if/when there is a cure. I can understand the curiosity of whether people will take it. But... I don't think it will be something that will happen in our lifetime. And that's sad for those in 3rd world countries dying from it every day. Those are the ones I feel for.

Well that's disheartening about the cure. I just don't know how long my life will be having to take medication at the same time every day,  just seems to kill any spontaneity I might have in life, dreading starting meds. 

Well that's disheartening about the cure. I just don't know how long my life will be having to take medication at the same time every day,  just seems to kill any spontaneity I might have in life, dreading starting meds.

I agree that it is disheartening. What you have said should be something chasers should think about very hard before continuing the chase. Yes, there is freedom in not having to worry about getting it. But there are also some freedoms taken away from a person with HIV. It's not all positive. No pun intended.

hoping for a cure to avoid treatment is a very very bad idea.  

Not to be blunt but at a certain point you are going to need to decide whats more important, spontaneity or your life. 

• Upvote 1

hoping for a cure to avoid treatment is a very very bad idea.  

Not to be blunt but at a certain point you are going to need to decide whats more important, spontaneity or your life.

I agree. Totally agree. What's popping a couple pills every day compared to losing your life? I don't understand how a couple of minutes out of your day kills any spontaneity. I don't mean that to be rude, bottomhole. Just trying to understand.

• Upvote 1

Sorry maybe I was unclear. I absolutely want to start treatment as opposed to dying! The idea of taking a pill the same time daily with food is just so alien to me, I don't eat the same time everyday I can't just for the sake of it stay out for two days with a friend. I have to plan everything ahead of time in order to assure I adhere to it. I was diagnosed in Oct, this is still new to me. So it's hard to get my head around still, and at times can be very depressing. Didn't mean it to come across as me not going on meds, or putting it off for that matter. 

Sorry maybe I was unclear. I absolutely want to start treatment as opposed to dying! The idea of taking a pill the same time daily with food is just so alien to me, I don't eat the same time everyday I can't just for the sake of it stay out for two days with a friend. I have to plan everything ahead of time in order to assure I adhere to it. I was diagnosed in Oct, this is still new to me. So it's hard to get my head around still, and at times can be very depressing. Didn't mean it to come across as me not going on meds, or putting it off for that matter. 

One doesn't have to take the medication at the exact same time each day, A dose level takes into account that some people will not take it at the same time each day. In the early use of AZT when the dose was overly large (too large) people had to take the massive doses of AZT at the same time in an attempt to mitigate the toxicity. Don't throw hurdles up for your self, and I suggest you  get involved with a HIV support group if there's one in your area. This forum also can act as a support group

Edited by tboyer