I Hate It......

RawNerd

I hate it just when a story is getting good the author stops adding to the story.

If the original author wont add to the story maybe one of us should.......maybe someone else should add into the story we really like!

Edited by RawNerd
  • Upvote 2

I feel the same way.  Sometimes I wonder if anyone has ever completed a story.  The ones I have read so far are so open-ended.  Kind of frustrating when you want to nut to a hot story again and again.

As for someone else finishing another's story...  That could be doable.  I just hope that if someone does do this that it doesn't loose the context and vibe of the story.  That would be my only concern.

It is frustrating. There was one really hot story I was following about three years ago. Something like eight chapters. It took him well over a year to complete the last chapter and it seemed his heart was not in it. Sometimes a writer will just burn out.

amen. I don't understand why they are even posting when they have not yet finished writing the story. it actually has turned me off of even staring most story's. I will see a post and go to the last comments first to see if they reference wanting the end before I start reading it.

• Moderators

But have you ever noticed that when guys TRY to end a story, everyone bitches about that, too. 

I think some of the stories that are left unfinished only happen because people piss and moan for the story to be continued, and the author runs out of ideas before he can bring it to a conclusion. 

That said, it really is annoying when people start out to write a multi-part story and don't finish it. 

I wrote a story once and had people asking when part 2 would be posted. I appreciated that they liked the story and had positive comments about it, but it sort of annoyed me that they expected it to continue, when I felt it was clearly a "one-off" or "stand-alone" short story. When I originally posted the story, and even after re-reading it several times, I felt the story was completed and there was no need for a continuation. The story had been told, the backstory had been told, and where the characters seemed to be headed was pretty well spelled out by the main character himself (it was kind of an extreme Dom/sub type story so I won't get into it all, but the looming fate of the main character was pretty dark, even though he fully embraced it). It wasn't some massive novel, just a short story I hammered out in a few hours, but I felt I did a solid job (no serious plot holes, characters behavior and motivations were believable, story made sense, had a decent flow to it, etc) so there just wasn't any reason to continue it. I really felt it was unnecessary to write anymore about it, and that doing so would actually take-away from what had already been written (lessen the impact, so to speak). I wasn't willing to add a part 2 just for the sake of having the story be longer. In a situation like that, I'd prefer to start a new story. I can't speak for other authors, but it's possible some of them feel the same way and that's why works don't get continued. Of course, a work that is OBVIOUSLY yet to be completed that is just abandoned is another animal entirely...

I'm one of the more guilty parties here in not finishing stories. I think there are many reasons for me to not finish a story, some good, some bad. In some instances, they start out as a personal response to a situation ("writing as therapy"), and past a certain point, there's nothing in it for me or the situation isn't as hot as it once was. Other times, I write myself into a corner, that the story is no longer consistent / plausible / etc. I tend to like stories that are believeable, with characters that may have flaws or rough edges. It requires a little more thought, and in a serial format, sometimes I get caught.

Bad reasons to stop a story are mainly that I hate, with a white-hot passion, editing my work. It's boring and mostly thankless, but at the same time, know that I need to do at least a close reading for grammar, spelling, continuity ("wait...how did Steve get involved in the gang-bang again?"). Other things are that life sometimes interferes. Also, I'm horrible at endings.

I'm trying to guage how I would feel about another author continuing my stories. For ones that I had abandoned, I'd probably be ok. But if it is just not on my front burner and want to come back to it, I'd probably be very annoyed if someone continued it. Some of my stories do have a rough plot outline, and I know what I want to happen. 

I'm also interested in what stories people want to continue. I know there are a few I'd really like to know how they end... ("Dr. Taylor" being one in particular.)

Well I am writing a story in the bug chasing section. As long as people comment that they like it I will continue it. But if no one comments in a way that askes me to continue the story I wil give up because it will be pointless.

I feel the same way.  Sometimes I wonder if anyone has ever completed a story.  The ones I have read so far are so open-ended.  Kind of frustrating when you want to nut to a hot story again and again.

You haven't looked far enough: the entire first draft of my novel Pozdaddy is in the chasing section. I've just finished its second edit and it's currently with beta readers whose mission it is to tell me where I've fucked up with continuity, grammar, or ideas before I set about finding a publisher.

And I'm with Knife-edge on needing the feedback to make it worthwhile continuing: it's not looking for praise or fans - it's the only way of knowing whether or not a particular story is "hitting the spot"...

I am guilty as charged.   Have two or maybe three stories now not finished, but take heart, I am working on them, just all kinds of drama going on around here right now and making it hard for me to get to them.  I will get to them though.   There are two or three from others that I am sure are not finished and have even been promised to be added to and then the authors seem to have disappeared.