Blocking and ignoring users

Guest bbgnn

On 11/17/2023 at 7:14 PM, BootmanLA said:

What are you attempting to test, given that this is your first post and you joined within the last hour?

Ha, good you're here.

You seem knowledgeable. Could you tell me why I can't add you to my blocked users list?

Much obliged

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/6/2019 at 10:21 PM, Guest takingdeepanal said:

@rawsatyr - I asked another member why he down voted a comment I made which actually supported his POV - and he down voted me - again.  

I had another member PM me, who more or less ordered me to stop posting so many comments.

I agree with you.  Some members on this site are just asses. Wish I could call them out - but I might possibly get an infraction, so it's not worth it. 

I think the block works both ways (they can't see your material, and you can't see theirs). It's this correct, @drscorpio?

So I never thought I would want to block someone, but a user downvoted me for something I don't think is fair so I want to block them so they can't see my content and downvote me again.  I'm reading this if I block them they can't see my posts either?  I'm hoping that is how it works.

On 3/19/2024 at 7:02 PM, austin_submale said:

I'm reading this if I block them they can't see my post

I don't think so. It's just that their posts will be hidden from your view:

"Ignoring a user allows you to block some or all of their content from showing. Users are not notified that you are ignoring them."

• Moderators
On 3/19/2024 at 2:02 PM, austin_submale said:

So I never thought I would want to block someone, but a user downvoted me for something I don't think is fair...

@Phallarchist is correct. Blocking people won't hide your posts from them, only hide their posts from you. It's a public forum, so your posts are public, either to the site membership (if in the Backroom), or to the internet at large (elsewhere on the site).

That said, you (specifically) really don't have to worry about people downvoting your posts. There will always be someone out there who dislikes or disagrees with things, and occasionally they will act on it. That is their prerogative. It's unlikely you'll agree with them (after all, you wrote the post in the first place). With the number of posts you have made in your tenure, and the tremendous overall positive response they have received, the occasional downvote is vastly outvoted by the upvotes.

I could understand the down vote if I had said something that was potentially disagreeable, controversial or offensive.  But I am pretty sure I didn't in the post that was down voted.  It was a fiction story in one of the more permissive forums and really nothing that extreme or out of the ordinary about it given the general content there.  I totally understand that not everyone is going to like every story.  I also realize I'm not a very good writer and don't have really great English skills. But I'd never down vote someone for a story even if I didn't like it.  Well, maybe almost never.  Perhaps if someone wrote something really offensive, but it would have to pretty much be something that would probably be in violation of the rules of the forum anyway.  In fact I've upvoted a lot of stories that weren't really my personal cup of tea because I could see the quality of the work or the effort that the writer put into it.  I guess maybe others don't view things the same way I do about that.  I try to encourage people to be creative and share because there are certainly other people who might think things I'm not into to be the hottest thing ever.  And to me that's totally OK.

Anyway, I guess I shouldn't take a down vote so personally.  But I don't think I'm alone as far as story writer goes that I thrive on positive comments and feedback.  And I even appreciate a certain amount of critical commentary as long as it is constructive things I can use to do a better job writing in the future.  But just a down vote really doesn't give me any useful information on what I can improve on.

I contemplated sending a private message to the person who down voted my story asking them what they didn't like about it, but I didn't think it would be a good idea.  It might just piss them off and they might go out and just start down voting everything I've posted.  I'm not really big into being confrontational so I was hoping to just be able to fly under their radar if they just have some axe to grind with me about something.  Especially since I've got little to no idea what that could be.

As far as I recall, there's only one guy I blocked, and I see a little caption that his content is being blocked (apparently just above or below) whatever it was that he wrote.  However, if some other guy "quotes" him within the second guy's text, the quoted part does appear. 

When all is said and done, it's an efficient system.  We don't have to read stuff we find offensive, and that's pretty much that.  

But I still wish there were a list somewhere of the banned words.  Apparently I used one, and have no idea what it was.  Went back, read and re-read my original text, and still couldn't figure out what banned word (or phrase, maybe?) was.  

1 hour ago, hntnhole said:

As far as I recall, there's only one guy I blocked, and I see a little caption that his content is being blocked (apparently just above or below) whatever it was that he wrote.  However, if some other guy "quotes" him within the second guy's text, the quoted part does appear. 

When all is said and done, it's an efficient system.  We don't have to read stuff we find offensive, and that's pretty much that.  

But I still wish there were a list somewhere of the banned words.  Apparently I used one, and have no idea what it was.  Went back, read and re-read my original text, and still couldn't figure out what banned word (or phrase, maybe?) was.  

I wish the guy had just blocked me if he doesn't want to see my content rather than down voting.

Some of the words that some sites ban are kind of silly.  You can say fuck but you can't say pervert [banned word] or child.

So there I hit one of three...  I just edited to say that one word, regardless of context gets nuked.  I mean at a certain level I understand why sites do it, but most of these words they ban have legitimate uses and not just the negative meanings that got them banned.  This site is by far not the worst when it comes to the range of banned words.  Some seem to have pretty extensive lists.  There are some sites which ban a whole lot of words for being drug lingo related as well.  Like I've seen some that you can't put 420.

Edited by austin_submale

• Moderators
On 3/22/2024 at 3:29 PM, austin_submale said:

I could understand the down vote if I had said something that was potentially disagreeable, controversial or offensive.  But I am pretty sure I didn't in the post that was down voted.  It was a fiction story in one of the more permissive forums and really nothing that extreme or out of the ordinary about it given the general content there... Perhaps if someone wrote something really offensive

I re-read your story and I agree there's nothing that seems an obvious reason for downvoting. I'd hazard a guess that it might have been the race/cultural content. Either that or your lousy Spanish 😉 For what it's worth, that story was the most upvoted thing on the entire site on the day you published it (including gallery pictures, which usually win that distinction).

23 hours ago, hntnhole said:

22 hours ago, austin_submale said:

So there I hit one of three...  I just edited to say that one word, regardless of context gets nuked.  I mean at a certain level I understand why sites do it, but most of these words they ban have legitimate uses ...

@hntnhole I read the post in question and think it's fairly obvious what the word was. But the meaning is clear from context anyway. @austin_submale Of course there is a list - somewhere in the code that makes it happen. It's confidential (even from staff) because having it published would give people an easy workaround. The purpose of the list here on BZ is pretty specific: It's because certain words were being used as code for practices that are illegal and are against the rules of the site (with good reason). Yes, it's annoying because the words have legitimate uses. Consider it a challenge to your vocabulary.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, viking8x6 said:

It's confidential (even from staff) because having it published would give people an easy workaround. The purpose of the list here on BZ is pretty specific: It's because certain words were being used as code for practices that are illegal and are against the rules of the site (with good reason). Yes, it's annoying because the words have legitimate uses. Consider it a challenge to your vocabulary.

I'll give an example, for those interested. There is a 5-letter word beginning with "t", derived from a Polynesian language, that in a general sense means "forbidden" - but with the context that it's a cultural proscription. Anyone who remembers the Brady Bunch episodes set in Hawaii should recall the small carved idol that Bobby found and which may or may not have caused all sorts of bad things to happen to others - all the while, he was thinking it was a good luck charm, if I recall correctly.

It's often used in certain people's profiles and personal ads to indicate a sexual interest in certain things that are highly illegal (at least in most western cultures). Used in that context - which is almost always how it's used in a sex-oriented discussion space - it's almost certainly going to cause problems, with people using that discussion space to talk about some very unsavory things (and exposing the site to substantial criminal liability). So the word is just banned, period.

There ARE other contexts - like the Brady Bunch idol situation - where the word would be appropriate, but as @viking8x6 notes, you can treat it as an opportunity to exercise your vocabulary. The simple term "forbidden" can do about 90-95% of the work there, for instance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, viking8x6 said:

I re-read your story and I agree there's nothing that seems an obvious reason for downvoting. I'd hazard a guess that it might have been the race/cultural content. Either that or your lousy Spanish 😉 ,,,

Yeah, you are probably right, that was probably it.  I guess if he's fair he must down vote a LOT lot of the stories because there are a ton of stories with a lot more race/cultural content than mine.  I try to not really offend people in those ways as much as I can while making the stories as interesting as I know how.  But I'm not a great writer as I said before, and I even said in the story that my Spanish is poor...  I live in an area where a fairly large percentage of the guys who visit the bookstores are Hispanic, probably better than 1/3 I'd guess.  So I'm more than OK with playing with those guys.  I refuse no dick or load.  My Spanish is slowly getting better over time but I doubt I will ever get to functionally literate.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.