Brian's Senior Year

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Chapter 14- Prom, Part 1

Brian had just sat down to the dinner table. He was excited that his dad had grilled up steaks, a sign that summer was almost here. It only took a couple minutes for his heart to start racing and his palms to get sweaty.

“So, Bri, have you got a prom date yet?” his dad asked, likely not expecting his son to say yes.

Brian could almost feel the blood rush to his cheeks as the embarrassment of the question, and the fear of what came next, turned his pale face red. But he knew it was time.

“Uh, yeah, I do” he replied, staring down at the plate of steak, not making eye contact with his parents or younger brother.

“Oh, who? Do we know her?” his Dad replied in an excited tone.

Brian sat there for a moment, probably a tad longer than was comfortable for anyone at the table. His parents could probably see his heart trying to jump out of his chest. His voice cracked as he began to respond.

“Um, yeah, you know him. I’m going with Jake.”

There was an ever so brief moment of silence around the table. Brian brought his eyes up with fear to gauge their reactions. He saw what looked like a mildly amused look on his dad’s face, which he didn’t know what to make of. Then Brian got even more confused as his dad broke out in laughter; a kind of congratulatory laughter one might here after winning a game.

He looked to his mom, who had a big smirk on her face, and then saw his dad get up, walk around the table, and motioned for Brian to get up to give him a hug. Brian could almost feel the tears welling in his eyes.

“We were beginning to worry we had raised two straight kids!” his dad to him during the big hug.

“What?” Brian replied, with a little laugh as he was realizing these were reactions were positive and genuine. His father let go of the hug, stepped back, but kept his hands on Brian’s shoulders in that fatherly way that meant something profound was about to be said.

“This is going to sound weird Brian, but your mother and I have joked for a while that a goal of ours, as parents, was to have a gay kid. I’m not saying that’s anything we, or you, can control, but we wanted you both to be who you are, and we always hoped that, if one of you was gay, or bi, or trans, or whatever, you’d feel comfortable telling us and living your true self.”

“Yes, and Max, you’ll note I called this a couple weeks ago” Brian’s mother chirped up.

“What!?” Brian said as he turned sharply to look at his mom.

“You and Jake. I called it. To your father, just a couple weeks ago” she said with a jokingly smug tone. “I could tell there was a spark there.”

Brian rounded the table as his mom stood up and gave him another hug.

“So you guys are cool with it, I guess?” he said.

“Cool with it!? We’re thrilled for you!” she replied.

“So are you guys, you know, dating or anything?” his dad asked.

“Yeah, I guess we are” Brian responded, his face getting red with classic teenage/parent embarrassment again.

“Awesome, nice job! He’s quite a catch!” his dad joked, and Brian thought this couldn’t get any weirded.

Then he remembered there was one other person in the room; Timmy, his brother. He hadn’t said anything yet, so Brian looked to him for a response.

“Whoop-di-do, big deal.” Timmy said flatly, with a tone that implied he wasn’t thrilled. Then he started giggling as well, not able to hold his poker face any longer. “I’m more surprised you got a prom date than that it’s a guy” he said mischievously.

Brian made his way around the table and forced his brother to get up and give him a rare hug, if only to make 100% sure he wasn’t actually upset. And that’s when his brother said maybe the nicest thing he’s ever said to him “I’m proud of you.”

“What!?” his dad exclaimed, “My kids are being nice to each other!? Damn, we are good parents” and he held his hand up for a high five with their mom. Brian thought his dad may have never been a bigger dork than he was being right now, but right now, he was totally fine with that.

They sat back down and dug into their steaks as Brian’s mom and dad began to pester him about what he was going to wear to prom.

——————————————

Later that night, Brian was about to get in bed when he got a text from Jake- “I’m outside. Can you come out.”

Brian hopped up and looked out his window to see Jake’s car parked on the side of his street. He knew something was up, so he proceeded to head out to Jake’s car without even realizing all he was wearing was his blue plaid boxers and a white t-shirt.

He hopped in the passenger side of Jake’s car, and saw immediately in his boyfriend’s face that he had been crying.

“Jake! What’s wrong!?”

“I told my dad.”

Brian knew what this meant- it didn’t go well.

“He told me being a fag would ruin the rest of my life, and he wasn’t going to let that happen. He said he wanted what’s best for me. Can you fucking believe that!? What’s fucking best for me. Goddamn fucking prick!”

Jake took a deep breath, clearly trying to not completely lose it, but his voice cracked as he told Brian “He said there was no way he was going to let me go to prom with a boy.”

Brian realized how hurt Jake was feeling in the moment, and he didn’t know what to say. He wasn’t sure if telling him that his dad could suck it would make him feel better, whether he should tell him he was sorry and try to comfort him, or if he should tell him that it didn’t matter and they’d still go together. He was also afraid in that moment that Jake might actually want to listen to his father. So, he did all he could think to do- he propped himself up in the seat, leaned over, and pulled Jake in a warm, quiet embrace.

Jake lost it, and began crying into Brian’s shoulder.

“You’re barely wearing any clothes” Jake said after a moment, letting a small laugh escape through the tears as he said it.

“It seemed like an emergency; I wanted to get out here as fast as I could” Brian replied.

“You… are amazing.”

“Far from it.”

Jake pulled back and took Brian’s hand in his.

“You know what I was thinking about in between when you told me and when I got in you’re Jeep. Like, obviously, I wanted you back. You know why I did it though? Because I made a guess that you telling me about all of that wasn’t so much you confessing about cheating as it was you trying to protect me.”

Jake stared deep into Brian’s eyes, which seemed to glimmer even in the faint light of the street lamp.

“I’m pretty sure I’m right, and that’s why I went out to find you. And tonight, again, you didn’t even put fucking shoes on! I don’t know what I did to deserve you.

Brian looked like he was about to cry now; happy tears of course. He said back “You forgave me. You’re amazing too.”

Brian leaned in and gave Jake a long, passionate kiss. Jake squeezed Brian’s hand tight as they connected, not out of teenage sexual drive, out of deep care for one another.

“I’m just so sorry I won’t be able to go to prom with you. I mean, I won’t be able to get a tux. I don’t even know if I can afford a ticket on my own, they are fucking expensive” Jake said quietly, remembering why he was sitting outside Brian’s house.

“Bullshit!” Brian responded instantly. “I don’t care if you wear shorts and a t shirt or your fucking wrestling uniform. Well, that would be kinda hot” Brian chuckled. “But I don’t care. We can go together in Sox shirts if that what it takes. We’ll figure out the ticket. But I AM going to prom with you.”

A big smile appeared on Jake’s face. He had thought everything had been fucked up, but Brian wasn’t going to let that happen.

“Do you want to come inside?”

“Are your parents awake?”

“My dad probably is.”

“Aren’t they going to be concerned when you walk into the house in your boxers with a boy?”

“I already told them, just tonight. They didn’t care. Actually, they were pretty stoked. It was weird.” Brian said joyfully.

“Really!? That’s cool!”

“Come inside, I insist. I doubt you want to go home right now.”

Jake turned off the engine and follow Brian into the house. Brian’s dad was indeed awake; he had been watching TV when Brian went outside, and had already gotten up when he heard the door open and shut, but had been trying not to stare out at the car, as he thought the two were just messing around, so he went back to his TV.

Brian pulled Jake along by his hand, into their living room.

“Dad, um, this is Jake.” Brian said, blushing red again. Both he and Jake were.

“Oh, hi Jake! Nice to meet you! I’m Max.” Brian’s dad said, hopping up off the couch with the pride of a dad whose son just hit a home run.

“Hi, nice to meet you” Jake replied meekly.

“I wasn’t expecting you to bring him inside, I thought you had snuck out for a make out sesh or something.” Max said, trying to be funny. “Also, Bri, you have like no clothes on. Why aren’t you two out in the car, you know, having fun or whatever?”

They both got even redder, but let out their held breath when Max laughed and said “I’m sorry, I’m really not as funny as I think I am. Didn’t mean to turn into Mr. Awkward.”

“It’s okay dad, I know this is kinda strange. Jake told his dad about us and… it didn’t go well.”

“I’m really sorry to hear that Jake. Are you okay?”

“I think I will be sir, but not sure I really am right now to be honest.” Jake replied matter-of-factly.

“I don’t blame you.” Max said back. “Obviously Brian told you that he already told us, just tonight actually. We couldn’t be prouder of him. Of both of you. It takes a lot of courage to do what you both did today, and you’re experiencing why right now. I wish it didn’t have to be this way for you Jake…” Max walked up to his son’s boyfriend and put his hand on his shoulder, as he had done with Brian earlier in the night “… but I’m sure Brian will be there for you, and if there’s anything you ever need, his mom and I will be too.”

“Thank you” Jake sniffled “I… I don’t know how this is going to go down, but it’s nice to know that Brian has such cool parents.”

“Ha, he called me cool Brian. How about that!” Max joked. Brian just shook his head at his dad.

“His dad told him he couldn’t go to prom with me, but we’re going to go anyways.” Brian said after a moment.

“You bet your ass you are!” Max replied.

The three guys stayed up talking for a while. Max asked Jake about wrestling and his interests. They talked about next year at BU. The boys even told him how they came together at the orientation day. Eventually, Max was heading off to bed when Brian asked:

“Umm, dad, is it okay if Jake stays the night…” turning to Jake “I mean, if he doesn’t want to go home?”

Max laughed. “Yes, absolutely. You can make up the couch for him, or, you know, I’m sure there’s room in your bed” he said with a playful wink.

“Dad!!” Brian whined in embarrassment.

“What!? Sorry, awkward, I’m going now. Jake, it was very nice to meet you. Goodnight boys.”

Brian and Jake stayed up a while longer, but Jake decided it would be best to go home. He didn’t want to compound his dad’s anger at all by not being there in the morning. After a brief but passionate makeout session in Brian’s bed, Jake headed out. He left more sure than ever he was not going to let his dad fuck up his and Brian’s plans for prom, or their relationship.

——————————————

Finally, the night of prom had finally come. The boys had decided to keep their respective dates a secret until the big night. They figured they could just come out to everyone, and confirm their relationship, in one fell swoop at prom, and not to have to keep coming out over and over again.

The black Uber Brian’s dad had gotten for them pulled up to the venue, and before getting out, Brian turned to his boyfriend, who looked amazing in the blue three-piece tux and silver ties they were both wearing. Brian’s mom had heard Jake might not be able to afford one, and she was not about to let her oldest son and his boyfriend look anything short of dapper for the big night, so she insisted on getting them for both of the boys.

Brian squeezed Jake’s hand tight. “Are you ready for this?”

Jake paused a moment, soaking in the look of his skinny twink boyfriend, who happened to almost look even sexier in a tux, before simply saying “Yes” and kissing Brian in the back seat.

The Uber drive sniffled a bit, and Jake quickly said “Oh, sorry”. The driver replied, in a tone of voice that immediately let the boys know he was probably gay “Don’t worry, you boys have fun.” He was clearly a bit choked up at realizing they were coming out together at prom.

The two of them had gotten there a bit late, by design. It’s not that they wanted to make a particularly flashy entrance, but they figured it would be more obvious if they walked in together, then having to answer why they matched all night.

They got out of the car and walked in towards the event venue, hand in hand. There were only a few kids still outside, but the sight of the star wrestler and the shy nerd holding hands on their way in the door stopped most of them in their tracks. Outside too was their physics teacher, who had a giant, beaming smile on her face. As Brian and Jake approached and handed her their tickets, she said to them “Is this new, or have I had my head up my ass all year?” The candor from a teacher made them both chuckle, but Ms. Ferrara was always pretty cool, and Jake assured her that “no, it’s pretty new.” She laughed and told them to have fun, and they walked inside together, still holding hands.

As the entered the ballroom, the place was filled with energy. Everyone was running around, greeting friends, paying attention to their dates. They weren’t even really noticed. They made their way to their table, where they sat with Brian’s friends. As the found their seats, Brian’s friend Rachel turned away from her date to say hi.

“Hey Bri…” she stopped short, looking them both up and down and seeing the still clenched hands. “… Holy crap, are you two here together!?”

Brian’s face turned as red as a stoplight, but it was also sporting a big smile. “Hey Rachel. Uh, yes, we are.”

Rachel’s eyes got wide and a giant smile formed across her face. “And… are you… you know… dating?”

“Yup!”

“You mother fucker!” Rachel punched Brian in the arm as if she was his sister. “How did I not know about this!?”

Brian looked at Jake and, taking in his hot jock boyfriend looking amazing in his tux, didn’t take this gaze off of him as he replied “It’s new.”

Jake and Brian had both been super nervous about telling their friends. Brian, for the most part, figured his nerdy, progressive friends wouldn’t care, but even that knowledge didn’t assuage his fear. But, he was right. As the two sat down, dinner was just being brought out, and they became the focal point of the table. All of Brian’s friends couldn’t wait to ask them how this had happened, how long they had been together, etc. Brian was ecstatic that his friends were so on board; but there was still the rest of the school to worry about.

Before the boys’ table had been served, Jake’s wrestling friend Nolan walked by and noticed Jake sitting with a rather strange group of people. He walked up behind Jake, tapped him on the shoulder and said hello. He knelt down and talked to Jake sideways, clearly signalling this was a conversation he wasn’t intending anyone else to hear. The rest of the table had moved on to talking about the venue and the food, and a big debate was unfolding over whether the ballroom was decorated well, so most people didn’t notice what was happening.

“Hey man, you here stag? You know there’s an extra seat at our table because Julius didn’t bring a date either, so you don’t have to sit here” Nolan said quietly.

“I’m good man, I’ll talk to you later okay?” Jake responded, also quietly, but in a definitive tone that got Nolan to go away without any further questions.

Brian, however, did notice this. He looked warily at Jake, hoping he was okay. Nolan hadn’t noticed what was happening, but had just assumed Jake didn’t belong at the table. Jake took Brian’s hand under the table and just whispered ever so softly “I’m very good here.”

Eventually dinner had been served and eaten, and it was time to get the dancing started. Some kids jumped up immediately at the beginning of the first song, but nobody at Brian’s table was really the type to even go to a school dance, let alone dance at one, so they kept chatting for a bit. The third song, however, turned out to be the first slow one- Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol.

“Good song” Brian blurted out, just as Jake said “Oh, I like this song.”

They two looked at each other. Jake stood and held his hand out to Brian and repeated back his question from earlier, “You ready?”

Rachel clapped in excitement as Brian stood up and they headed to the dance floor.

Both of the boys could feel the other shaking as they stepped on to the dance floor, but their nerves quickly melted away as they embraced each other and began to dance together for the first time, in front of their entire class.

• Like 23
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2

Sorry that took so long everyone; I've had a lot going on in life, but Brian's story is definitely not done. I'll try to get part 2 to you much faster than part 1, especially since part 1 is so... wholesome, haha.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, timmy7x said:

Sorry that took so long everyone; I've had a lot going on in life, but Brian's story is definitely not done. I'll try to get part 2 to you much faster than part 1, especially since part 1 is so... wholesome, haha.

I’m so glad to hear you say that Brian’s story is not done.  I can’t wait to hear more of this story. 

You have a great skill in your storytelling that is very compelling.