Taint

Monorchid

For some reason, I really don't like when a guy's perineum, crack and anus are referred to as his taint. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of stories and I'm certainly not judging what guys call their body parts. The word just doesn't seem right, and I wouldn't automatically use it. I think I'd ask a regular partner not to, as well.

Thing is, there's nothing tainted about it. I think the problem might come from the lack of slang terms, in comparison to penis slang...

What do you guys think?

• Moderators

It's not my favorite word coinage, but I don't find it off-putting.

My understanding, though, is that the etymology of that use of "taint" is that it refers to just the perineum, which is not really his crack/anus, nor his balls, but just the part in between: " 'taint " one thing or the other.

While many people call the perineum a "taint",  I think it originally referred specifically to the perineal raphe.  The raphe is the ridge that runs from the anus to the head of the penis and is formed during sex differentiation in the womb.  Here's the blurb from wikipedia:

• The perineal raphe is a visible line or ridge of tissue on the body that extends from the anus through the perineum to scrotum (male) or labia majora (female). It is found in both males and females, arises from the fusion of the urogenital folds, and is visible running medial through anteroposterior, to the anus where it resolves in a small knot of skin of varying size.

In males, this structure continues through the midline of the scrotum (scrotal raphe) and upwards through the posterior midline aspect of the penis (penile raphe). It also exists deeper through the scrotum where it is called the scrotal septum. It is the result of a fetal developmental phenomenon whereby the scrotum and penis close toward the midline and fuse.

• source:  [think before following links] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perineal_raphe

It may have been called the taint as it could have been thought of as a visible sign of what some religions conciser man's original sin.  (I've never been able to find the logic in that, I'm just passing along what I read somewhere.)

It could also have been called the taint simply because it is usually a well defined area that is darker than the surrounding skin. Personally I like this derivation better.  If you combine the words "tint" and "paint" you get "taint".

Edited by funpozbottom
added link to source
  • Like 2

The etymology of taint lends itself to a sense of “corruption, contamination”, which is broadly applicable to the area between the legs and bounded by the orifices of excreta. If any part of the body would have a tendency to be contaminated, the perineum is the place one would expect. I find this direct linguistic derivation more plausible than the “t’ain’t your balls and t’ain’t you ass” vernacular explanation one usually finds in discussions of slang - that seems to me more likely a recursive application than an origin, an explanation invented to fit the word that was already being used.

Personally I’ve never liked taint for this either, because of the negative association. I much prefer to just use perineum.

1 hour ago, funpozbottom said:

It may have been called the taint as it could have been thought of as a visible sign of what some religions conciser man's original sin.  (I've never been able to find the logic in that, I'm just passing along what I read somewhere.)

That’s an interesting take on it. If you ever recall where you came across that I’d be interested in reading it.

Edited by ErosWired
  • Like 1